So I'm pretty new to scales, but for the past month or 2 (i.e., after first learning the pentatonic minor all over the fretboard) whenever I improv to blues I've always just used the pentatonic minor (+ blues note...), where should the major pentatonic be used?

If you've got a I IV V, say E7 A7 B7, can you play the E pent minor OR major over it?

Thanks... Just want to know when/where it should be/is used...
Last edited by -TM- at Apr 9, 2011,
basically the idea is that you want to use the major pentatonic over any chord progessions that contains those groups of notes (generally speaking, a major key tonality for starters)
Quote by z4twenny
basically the idea is that you want to use the major pentatonic over any chord progessions that contains those groups of notes (generally speaking, a major key tonality for starters)

E minor pent = E G A B D
E major pent = C# E F# G#

(that's correct right?)

I IV V = (EG#B) + (AC#E) + (BD#F#)

right?

what are some typical chord progressions where youd use major instead of minor?
Last edited by -TM- at Apr 9, 2011,
E major pentatonic is

E F# G# B C#

you can totally use E major pentatonic over the chord progression you listed E7 A7 B7.
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
E major pentatonic is

E F# G# B C#

you can totally use E major pentatonic over the chord progression you listed.

Cool thanks, if instead of using E7 A7 B7, i use Emaj7 Amaj7 B7 would that also be more conducive to maj pent as opposed to min pent?
E pentatonic major is E F# G# B C#

I IV V (in E) is E (EG#B) A (AC#E) B (BD#F#)
Quote by -TM-
Cool thanks, if instead of using E7 A7 B7, i use Emaj7 Amaj7 B7 would that also be more conducive to maj pent as opposed to min pent?

it depends on the context, thats a subjective question.

as for whether or not the scale contains the notes of the chord progression, check the note clusters and see if they're all there, if they are then you can use the E major pentatonic scale over it. if all the notes of the e minor pentatonic are there then you can use that over it.
You can use the major pentatonic in songs with a major key.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
AlanHB nailed it exacty, TS. If you know how to construct diatonic chord progressions in a Major Key, you can use Major Pentatonic.

This is of course a starting point, and there are a lot of other things that people can do over I IV V such as targeting chord tones in the chords as they change, and other slightly more hipster ideas, but as a starting point, AlanHB is dead on correct. Listen to him.

Best,

Sean
in regards to blues .

a minor pentatonic scale will give you these intervals .

over I dom7
1,#9,11,,5,b7
(strongest or most resolved tones are 1,5,b7)

over IV dom7 ,
1,b9,9,11,5,b7
strongest tones (1,5,b7)

over V dom7
1,#9,11,#5,b7,7
(strongest tones (1,b7)

using a major pentatonic gives us :
1,9,3,5,6 (over Idom7) (chord tones 1,3,5)
5,6,7,9,3 (over IV dom7 ) Chord tones (5,3)
11,5,13,1,9 (over V dom7) (chord tones 1,5)

as a general a repeating phrase will work well in blues, but you should vary it to include wise choices of tones.
so in answer to your question :
over I dom7 (3 strong tones ) so an equally good choice )
over IV dom7 (2 strong tones a weaker choice
over V( 2 strong tones one being a 5th probably a better choice .)

an ideal place to be is where you can mix and match the scales to include the ripe tones for each chord you are playing over !