Hey everyone, I just started playing yesteday. I learned a few chords, G, C, G7. thats about it... then i went here and started lookin at tabs, and ive noticed some problems im having and was wondering if anyone could help?
My problems are that I can really transition between frets. like going from fret 9 to 5 for example. Im picking at the wrong strings often. and idk what im doin for this, but i'll hit a string and it wont make any sound.
Oh, and it sound sad from what im told, but i dont understand tablature -_-
Thanks for any help, sorry if im askin a lot.
If it doesn't make a sound you might be muting the string on accident and what exactly dont you understand about tablature?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Sound like what happens to everybody when they first start your right on track though
and your strings go from thinnest to thickest 1,2,3,4,5,6. And the top line of the tab is 1, second line 2, third line 3, and so on

Might not be a good explanation
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

My problems are that I can really transition between frets.
You mean "rarely?" It's hard to understand this. Anyways, you just started playing yesterday so don't expect to be perfect on your first try. It takes practice, lots of it. If you mean going from fret 9 to fret 5 on one string, just watch your hand. Make sure you're picking correctly, and the motion is smooth. It'll come to you. If it doesn't make a sound, you're muting the string by either not pressing down hard enough with your fretting hand, or by laying your picking hand across the strings.

Tabs are easy: Lay your guitar face-up across your lap with the low E string closest to your body. Now look at your fretboard, and that's how tab is written.

e
B
G
D
A-------7---
E---5--

For example, that means you'd play the note on the fifth fret of the low E string, then the note on the seventh fret of the A string. It's really quite simple, just try a few "novice" ones and you'll be picking it up in no time. If all the numbers are lined up, such as

D---5---
A---5---
E---3--

that indicates a chord, so you'd play all three at the same time. You'll pick all this up as you go, don't worry. Take it slow, practice, and don't overwhelm yourself. Hope this helps.
Well, the issue with the tabs is I see stuff like 10/11 for example. I took a semester of guitar in middle school, so I used to know how to read music... barely. What confuses is me time. Like whole, half, and eighth notes. Idk where this comes into tabs. Does it have something to do with how many "-" there are in between?
One more thing I just ran into, I dont understand what it means to "drop D"?
Last edited by Iblis92 at Apr 9, 2011,
The 10/11 is play the 10 and slide to 11
And no but some people write the time signature above the tab but most don't
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
The 10/11 is play the 10 and slide to 11
And no but some people write the time signature above the tab but most don't

Then, how do I go about understanding the time? Just play by ear im guessing?
Yea tabs are ment to be easy to learn to use they're more on the user friendly side
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Apr 9, 2011,
The way to know if its a whole not is just play a long with a song thats what ive always done but then again i suck so hmm.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
about the not making any sound, that means ur not pushing down on the fret hard enough
kilty Boxers I would add you but for some reason my computer wont let me see other people's profile's , u'll have to add me
Quote by slashermaster
Ibanez is another semi rip off company although i really love the JEN and ARZ8000

Well, it doesnt make a hell of a lot of sense to buy an expensive guitar when you first start out.
I dont see myself replacing my guitar anytime soon, even if its of "inferior" quality. Ive grown attached to it.
Iblis92

im the same as u a complete beginner i have been playing 2/3 months properly as in practising and not slaking like i did before .and im like 99.5% sure that in 2 months u will look back and laugh i was the same i was like why cant i do this dam chord its depressing the hell out of me etc but it will eventually just work its self out in Ur head and in Ur hands.im still awfull ofc but from a beginners point of view like us i would grab say 10 chords u like and play each one real slow then when u can play each chord with out muting it and the chord sounds clear .then try to switch between all of the 10 chords do this 1 mounth say at least 15 mins a day every day and at this point i recon ur hands would of built up strengh and u will be able to play a lot of basic songs etc. watch u tube as well look for basic songs etc it will maybe help u helped me massively .as far as tab goes personnaly i dont get on with it but thats just me i found it slowed me down .trust me when i say this tho at this point dont worrie about anything else it will just confuse u and piss u of .also dont worrie about ur guitar if u like it thats all that matters.only thing id say is i found it easier to play when the strings were closer to the frets it was easier to play maybe this wil help u ask a shop to lower the strings etc .in a few months when u have more confidence strenght skill etc on the guitar have a look at some guitars in the shops look at loads and play loads this will give u a bit of an idear what u like etc what feals nice and plays the way u want it to.