My music high school audition is on 18th of may, so I have five weeks to practice a song.

I have chosen a song "Accolade" from Symphony X to be my song. What do you think of it? I chose it because it has arpeggios, chords, metal riffs and nice leads, so its kind of versatile.

But do you think that five weeks is enough to learn a song? Im not going to play it wholly, its nine minutes, so im going to play less than a half of it. But should i just stick with a song i already know and practice it to perfect? Songs like that would be "Judith" from A Perfect Circle and "Pull Me Under" from DT.

I really want to get in the school, so i dont want to mess up the audition but i still want to impress the judges. If you can recommend some other song that i can learn in this time, feel free to do it.
I usually learn songs in about a weeks time. If you really want to do that song, dedicate a whole week of just learning the ins and outs of the song, dedicate a whole week to actually playing it (technique-wise), then polish it off in the remaining weeks. 5 weeks actually seems quite long. xD
Anyways, good luck, is this for a talent show?
learn sequioa throne from protest the hero.
hell if anybody played that in front of my id be impressed.
Quote by Brownisgod
I usually learn songs in about a weeks time. If you really want to do that song, dedicate a whole week of just learning the ins and outs of the song, dedicate a whole week to actually playing it (technique-wise), then polish it off in the remaining weeks. 5 weeks actually seems quite long. xD
Anyways, good luck, is this for a talent show?

Its a music high school audition. so its much more important than a talent show. And i love accolade as a song and love playing the intro that i already know, so yeah, i want to do it.

And i can check that protes the hero song out.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
learn sequioa throne from protest the hero.
hell if anybody played that in front of my id be impressed.

I just recently heard this song, I can't really stand the guys voice, impressive, but way too out there for me. lol
And it's basically just glorified tapping. Since you said it was for an audition, then I suggest going with something that varies muscially and illustrates the techniques you are capable of performing.
Quote by Brownisgod
I just recently heard this song, I can't really stand the guys voice, impressive, but way too out there for me. lol
And it's basically just glorified tapping. Since you said it was for an audition, then I suggest going with something that varies muscially and illustrates the techniques you are capable of performing.

Accolade is perfect for that. Starts with arpeggios, Then some power chord riffs and fast licks, and of course classical music influences. I could learn some of the impressive keyboard parts on guitar from the song to make it more varying.
I just gave accolade a listen, and it doesn't really seem like it'd be suited for showcasing anything, unless you were the drummer, or if you plan on melding all those impressive leads together into an epic 5 minute solo. In my opinion, I'd go for something a bit more guitar oriented, like paul gilbert or jason becker. Check out haydn symphony 88 by paul gilbert, a ton of people I know have played it for their berklee auditions, so I think it'd be a safe bet.
(And yes, berklee is a poop school, but lets ignore that for now.) xD
Quote by Brownisgod
I just gave accolade a listen, and it doesn't really seem like it'd be suited for showcasing anything, unless you were the drummer, or if you plan on melding all those impressive leads together into an epic 5 minute solo. In my opinion, I'd go for something a bit more guitar oriented, like paul gilbert or jason becker. Check out haydn symphony 88 by paul gilbert, a ton of people I know have played it for their berklee auditions, so I think it'd be a safe bet.
(And yes, berklee is a poop school, but lets ignore that for now.) xD

I love gilbert stuff, ill definitely check that out. and about the accolade, its not ment to be a over-the-top solo song. I have a friend auditioning in the school with me, hes way better than me, he can play dream theater songs wholly, but hes playing a jazz chord melody. So the song doesnt even have to have a solo. I chose the symphony x song because i want to stand out from those 150 guys playing master of puppets, and i dont think that anyone else would play the accolade.
Kannattaisiko opetella jotain muutakin kuin metallikappaleita? millaiset valintakriteerit sinne lukioon on?
Quote by HaistaPaska92
Kannattaisiko opetella jotain muutakin kuin metallikappaleita? millaiset valintakriteerit sinne lukioon on?

Kuulemma pitää vain näyttää että osaa soittaa. Ajattelin että joku progekappale olis hyvä kun ne on mutkikkaampia, ja kun pidän metallista niin valitsin noi. Jos joku hyvä jazzkappale löytyis kyllä sekin kävisi.

EDIT:english users, dont google translate that. you will get nonsense.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by guitar/bass95
Kuulemma pitää vain näyttää että osaa soittaa. Ajattelin että joku progekappale olis hyvä kun ne on mutkikkaampia, ja kun pidän metallista niin valitsin noi. Jos joku hyvä jazzkappale löytyis kyllä sekin kävisi.

No pelkän soittotaidon todistamiseksi noi käy kyllä oikeen hyvin. Ajattelin että jos pitää osata useampia tyylejä yms. niin joku esim. klassinen kappale olisi ollut hyvä. Olen muuten itse hakemassa juuri ammattikorkeeseen musiikkilinjalle niin pitäis itekin noita biisivalintoja ruveta harkitsemaan.....

Paul Gilbert mainittiin aiemmin ja se sopii hyvin. Kappaleet kuulosta hyvältä ja on aika teknisesti vaativiakin
Quote by HaistaPaska92
No pelkän soittotaidon todistamiseksi noi käy kyllä oikeen hyvin. Ajattelin että jos pitää osata useampia tyylejä yms. niin joku esim. klassinen kappale olisi ollut hyvä. Olen muuten itse hakemassa juuri ammattikorkeeseen musiikkilinjalle niin pitäis itekin noita biisivalintoja ruveta harkitsemaan.....

Paul Gilbert mainittiin aiemmin ja se sopii hyvin. Kappaleet kuulosta hyvältä ja on aika teknisesti vaativiakin

jep. Voisin tietenki soittaa jotain toccata ja fuugaa. Mutta katon ton Gilbertin kappaleen, ne on yleensä aika hienon kuulosia.
I dunno that symphony X seems kinda meh. if you can actually play the solos from like 4 minutes in, then I suggest playing something from paul gilbert.

like technical difficulties..
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
If I was doing an audition to a music school I'd play Dark Moor's - vivaldi's winter
Its an impressive song and five weeks is a good amount of time to learn it
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Apr 9, 2011,
Some classical song would be extremely cool, i dunno about the technical difficulties, but other gilbert stuff would be great.

I have checked out all the songs here, and they all lack versatility. I chose accolade because of the varying in the guitar techniques and sound, But all the classical songs and Gilbert songs are just shredding. Something that is really comprehensive (right word?) would be ideal.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Apr 9, 2011,
I guess the symphony x song could be cool, if you can play it well. It's way more impressive for the judges to be able to play simple stuff really well, than play really complex songs kinda half-assed. I'm not saying you don't have the goods for it, but speed and arpeggios are not gonna impress them as much... Where are you applying? I'm from Finland, and I study music in Kotka.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
I would do Smoke and Mirrors. That's nice and impressive.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Im applying in puolalanmäki high school in Turku. And i dont mean sweeps when i say arpeggios, i mean chords played slowly note by note. Accolade is a slow song, but really complex, it has technical riffs and prog influences as well as classical influences.

And smoke and mirrors is way over my level. Probaply the hardest symphony x song out there.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Im applying in puolalanmäki high school in Turku. And i dont mean sweeps when i say arpeggios, i mean chords played slowly note by note. Accolade is a slow song, but really complex, it has technical riffs and prog influences as well as classical influences.

And smoke and mirrors is way over my level. Probaply the hardest symphony x song out there.

So you want slow arpeggiated chords, technical riffs and some sexy leads? Let me think for a second.

Edit:
How about :
- Aghora?
- Gordian Knot?

Just giving other choices.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Apr 9, 2011,
Not that i want them, accolade just has them. Other cool song would be deconstruction from nevermore. Well, its metal, but still really cool song.

Ill check your bands out too.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Not that i want them, accolade just has them. Other cool song would be deconstruction from nevermore. Well, its metal, but still really cool song.

Ill check your bands out too.

I provided links, just click the names.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
suggestion: do what youre best at doing!
working on weaknesses is always the best way on th long run to almost anything, however youre trying to kick their asses and you have a time constrain, so i suggest you do it with your best weapon.

you seem to be close to that song so it shouldnt be a problem.

Good luck mate!
Wish you success
Last edited by Slashiepie at Apr 9, 2011,
I have no idea how you people learn songs so slowly.

I do everything by ear and I learn a 7 minute song in 2 days max.
Quote by HeatMaster22
I have no idea how you people learn songs so slowly.

I do everything by ear and I learn a 7 minute song in 2 days max.

Cuz your just amazing bro

P.s. You should work on your bragging
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

If you're really set on playing Accolade, then by all means bro go for it. The advantage to that is since you probably already know the song so well, after you learn how to play it normally you can take the song and turn it on its head by adding little things here and there that can make the song yours. (Maybe an extra lick here and there, a pinch harmonic or bend that may sound good there etc.)

Being able to improvise within a song will definitely impress the judges more than a by the books perfect cover of a song definitely. And since you seem to like the song so much, it'll be the perfect song for you to do that with.
I don't know if your up to up, but maybe something from Firewind?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSKMwI3iXlo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJT-z4x22GI&feature=related

Maybe Sonata Arctica? Both bands are power-metal, but have good solo's and if you can pull one off, you'll get a lot of respect.
Best thing to do is break the song down into sections. Learn each section well, then assemble it. Don't get overwhelmed with the whole song at first. Also don't be afraid to take liberties or simplify, you're making music.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net
Quote by rasmus1414
If you want a song for playing solo, that sounds decent and is technically challenging I would suggest playing Paganini's 5th Caprice. Check out Jason Becker's version of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYauTCAbvh8&feature=related. It sounds a little sloppy because of the gain. If you are actually gonna do it, then only but a slight overdrive to it.

My father just recommended that for me, and i just happened to practice it. I can already play it with quite a speed And my learning speed depends on the song, I learnt to play seasons in the abyss by slayer in two minutes, but some songs just take more time. Thanks for help and for not trolling, everyone.
Also, I dunno how much trouble you may have with it but I would suggest playing Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater if you want to push yourself while learning a song as well.
Quote by InertSolo
Also, I dunno how much trouble you may have with it but I would suggest playing Under A Glass Moon by Dream Theater if you want to push yourself while learning a song as well.

It has some tricky parts in the solo, but i dont think that anyone would care if i wouldnt play it perfectly. And its a great song, one of my favorites from dream theater.