I've been playing for a year now but only really consistently the past 3-4 months. I've made tons of progress, and yet I still suffer with hammer-ons. Pull-offs aren't a problem anymore, but my God I can't do a hammer on for anything.

The better I get, the more I realize how crappy my beginner guitar is (Epi LPS2), so I'm beginning to wonder... is it partly the guitar? Or has my fingers just still not developed the muscles necessary for this? I mean, I literally will just practice the hammer-ons on the fretboard while doing NOTHING else, and even when I hit it as hard as I possibly can from WAY above the fretboard, it barely makes a noise, and when it does it sounds like crap.... any advice?
Noob Gear:
Epi LP Special II
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss DS-1
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Is it plugged in?

+1

And there is something wrong with your playing skills. Every single guitarist has much more stronger hammer-on than pull-off, i dont know anyone who has a weaker HO.
And its definitely not about the guitar.
Have you had your guitar set up by a pro? That might be part of it. Otherwise, I don't know...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I agree with all the posts above. Also, I have had my Epiphone SG Special for 6 years now, once it's set up well, its actually a very decent guitar. I sometimes prefer playing it than my other, better guitar
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
HO and PO on two frets with every finger combination. It's boring and it hurts, but it works.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
That's my first "+1" I SHALL CHERISH IT!!!!!
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
plug the guitar in, crack up the gain and if its still hard,
!! lower the action !! if the strings have a shorter distance to the fretboard , hammer ons will be easier , same goes for tapping

have fun
Quote by barden1069
Have you had your guitar set up by a pro? That might be part of it. Otherwise, I don't know...

+1 on getting a good setup.

A properly setup guitar no matter how inexpensive will play pretty well...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
you realize its not how hard you hammer on, but how fast right?
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
If it isn't anything listed above regarding electronics than this is the solution:

Accuracy, practice, and correct technique. Make sure you are hitting the fret where you are suppose to be so it makes a sound. You can tell where you need to hit it by holding down the fret in the correct spot and plucking the string. If it produces a clear sound without being muted or buzzing, than that is the same spot you will be hammering onto it. This takes practice to get down the hand eye coordination so that you can hit that spot without looking, on any fret. Then, as indicated above, do finger excersizes such as the chromatic scale up and down the fret board. It takes quite a long time to build finger muscle, dexterity, and hand/eye/mind coordination to get all four fingers hitting each respective fret correctly.

Remember to strike directly downward and not at an angle. Use your thumb as an anchor underneath the neck in a spot that it feels comfortable, allows you to strike downward without an angle, and cleanly.

In time, calluses built in your finger tips will make this less painful and also aid in pulling the string back upward.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Slashiepie
plug the guitar in, crack up the gain and if its still hard,
!! lower the action !! if the strings have a shorter distance to the fretboard , hammer ons will be easier , same goes for tapping

have fun

THIS.

My pre-gain was way too low apparently (new amp, still learning all the extra controls that my crap Frontman 15 didn't have...). Cranked it up to 3 o'clock and my HO's now sound like I'm actually picking.

Thanks for all the useful input, especially the above
Noob Gear:
Epi LP Special II
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss DS-1
Oh, and no I never got this guitar setup... when I got it as a gift I didn't know ANYTHING about guitars (GF bought it for my bday last year). I'm getting ready to order a new one next week and that one will be setup properly for sure.
Noob Gear:
Epi LP Special II
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss DS-1
Quote by Majin Gaara
Keep in mind a shitty guitar with shitty pickups can make any guitar player sound mediocre.

And a great guitarist with exceptional skills can make almost any guitar sound great