Well lads, my amp search continues. Currently I'm considering an older Crate BV120 head on ebay and as it's a fair way away I won't have the chance to try before I buy so I'm just wondering how they do for metal? I'm looking for Children of Bodom type tone - a gained up, worked over classic metal sound with loads of mids rather than pure modern brutality. Any chance of getting that kind of sound from the Crate?

On a side note I'll probably re-valve it fairly soon after getting it and I wondered if it's possible to switch the stock 6L6s for EL34s to get more of Marshall vibe out of it?
I can't speak for the older blue voodoos but i've got one of the newer ones (had it for about 2 years now) and it works amazingly well for metal, probably not your children of bodom tone though. The tone of the blue voodoo cranked is somewhere between a marshall and a mesa, the modern chunkyness but with that marshall snarl, really interesting tone to it. I've still got mine with 6L6s in it, i was going to change them to EL34s (which you can do) but chose to keep the 6L6s since it just sounded too good as is.

To give you an idea my band recorded its 3 song EP with the crate and a mesa duel rectifier roadking, no pedals or anything just straight amps, here's a link if you're interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO3hZ3BZc6M

But like i said, this is for the new Blue Voodoos, but i've heard that they're not THAT much difference in tone, just more cosmetics.
Marty Friedman used to use one when he was in Megadeth, so I suspect it'll get you that kind of tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I used to have one and the other guitarist in my band at the time used an older one. They work pretty well with metal, but when you get them at gigging volumes the gain can muddy up pretty fast. I don't really ever remember mine being super mid heavy, but you can always throw an EQ in the loop.

I changed the stock 6L6's in mine out for JJ's and saw a HUGE improvement.
/rig
I have a blue voodoo and I use it for metal. As a matter of fact all my mp3s in my profile have been recorded with the blue voodoo.
I run mine with a eq and sonic stomp. And it is beastly
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
I have a blue voodoo and I use it for metal. As a matter of fact all my mp3s in my profile have been recorded with the blue voodoo.
I run mine with a eq and sonic stomp. And it is beastly

Just had a listen and your clips sound great dude! Did you tweak the sound during recording very much? Or is that a fairly good indication of what it sounds like in the flesh?
Quote by SDM
I can't speak for the older blue voodoos but i've got one of the newer ones (had it for about 2 years now) and it works amazingly well for metal, probably not your children of bodom tone though. The tone of the blue voodoo cranked is somewhere between a marshall and a mesa, the modern chunkyness but with that marshall snarl, really interesting tone to it. I've still got mine with 6L6s in it, i was going to change them to EL34s (which you can do) but chose to keep the 6L6s since it just sounded too good as is.

To give you an idea my band recorded its 3 song EP with the crate and a mesa duel rectifier roadking, no pedals or anything just straight amps, here's a link if you're interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO3hZ3BZc6M

But like i said, this is for the new Blue Voodoos, but i've heard that they're not THAT much difference in tone, just more cosmetics.
This sounds like a good response to me,

I dug that song by the way