Okay so I am having some trouble with my left hand when I sweep... when it comes to my right hand I pretty much have it down, palm muting the strings I'm not playing etc, but with my left hand... well let me put it like this:

Say I want to play a sweep like this:
|12-------------12---------|
|---11-------11------------|
|------10-10---------------|
|---------9-------------|
|----------------------|
|----------------------|

I would just fret the four frets with my hand like I was playing a chord and sweep accordingly; that isn't an issue for me. When it becomes an issue is with stuff like this:
|-----------14h17------------------------------------17--|
|--------13--------15-----------------------------18------|
|11h12--------------14----------------------17-----------|
|--------------------------13---------------16-------------|
|-----------------------------12---12h15-----------------|
|--------------------------------11---------------------------|

Whenever I try to play something like that it starts to sound really muffled from me not playing it right and the hammer ons just sound like shit, sometimes I accidentally palm mute them.

Thoughts?
Start the lick with upstroke and only hammer on the 12-15 part on A string, that should make the notes sound clearer. And of course it sounds worse, six strings sweeps are really hard compared to three strings. just practice.

By the way, try this if you still have not: play 12-8 from e, 10 on B and 9 on G and then backwards. That is a minor sweep. Sorry if you already know this and i sound like a jerk, but that is the sweep i practice with.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Apr 9, 2011,
Practice the chromatic scale slowly until are four fingers "know" where the frets are and can do them cleanly, evenly, and without thought.

Also, if you are not already doing so, practice the chromatic scale using just hammer on's until all four fingers can do this without looking, cleanly, and without thought.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

i had a rather wierd way of training my left hand.....i would briung my right hand over and hold the neck near the nut to mute the strings and just play the notes with my left hammering on. slowly first, then progessivly getting faster. it looks flashy and sound like perfectly clean sweeping
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by B.Renegades
I would just fret the four frets with my hand like I was playing a chord and sweep accordingly; that isn't an issue for me. When it becomes an issue is with stuff like this:
|-----------14h17------------------------------------17--|
|--------13--------15-----------------------------18------|
|11h12--------------14----------------------17-----------|
|--------------------------13---------------16-------------|
|-----------------------------12---12h15-----------------|
|--------------------------------11---------------------------|

Whenever I try to play something like that it starts to sound really muffled from me not playing it right and the hammer ons just sound like shit, sometimes I accidentally palm mute them.

Thoughts?

Where on earth did you get that lick from? It doesn't seem to make and sense to me at all...

Also if you can't do something... slow it down until you can. That's all there is to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Where on earth did you get that lick from? It doesn't seem to make and sense to me at all...

Also if you can't do something... slow it down until you can. That's all there is to it.

This times 6843.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

btw what songs are these sweeps in? they seem very chromatic
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED