the title says it all really, my last bass, which was a cheap copy of a p bass has broke, so im now looking into getting a MIM standard jazz bass or a ray34.. Also if there are any other basses within the £400-£600 price range let me know
They are two very different beasts but they'll never be something you can separate on paper. You have to go and find out for yourself which one feels and sounds better to you.

I take it you're after a traditional look and sound so I'd also look at the Cort GB74, Schecter Diamond P custom and Diamond J

http://www.cortguitars.com/_webapp_3835210/GB74

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Diamond-P-Custom-4.aspx

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Diamond-J.aspx

I currently have my eye on the Cort GB75 which is the five string model of the GB74
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'll be going and testing both out in a week or so, but i have yet to find schecters over here in the UK, i like the looks of the omen extreme 4, do you know anything about them? thanks
I've never tried anything from the extreme series, I had stiletto Deluxe before and it fantastic bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by joesl2006
I'll be going and testing both out in a week or so, but i have yet to find schecters over here in the UK, i like the looks of the omen extreme 4, do you know anything about them? thanks

I've played one before in a Music shop, and played it next to a Mexican Fender when I was deciding which bass to buy after my first Squier. The MIM Fender blew it out of the water. To me the Schecter felt less well made than the Fender (the massive scarf joint in the headstock was a turn-off) and it just sounded thin/weak next to it. Then again, I was using some rubbish Ashdown amp so it may not have been a great comparison (my local music shop seems to endorse these things for some silly reason).

When it comes to the Fender vs the Ray 34, you've just gotta try em. They're both different animals. They're both well made budget versions of the basses they're based upon, and you'll find that they're both great, it really depends whether you'd prefer a Stingray or a Jazz bass. Neither is objectively better (two of my favourite basses in fact), it just comes down to personal taste. If going for a MIM Fender though, I'd definitely buy one in a shop and play it first. They can be hit and miss... the one I used to own was a killer bass, especially for the money, but I've played some that have just been weak in comparison.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Apr 9, 2011,
yeah i had the feeling schecters low-end range might be a bit weak.. Also, how close/different would a ray34 be to a '87 Stingray?
Thanks again!
Also Ziphlobat, where abouts is that music shop? (with the schecters) I'll be going to the Bass Cellar on denmark st. in London and a couple of other shops round there.
Quote by joesl2006
yeah i had the feeling schecters low-end range might be a bit weak.. Also, how close/different would a ray34 be to a '87 Stingray?
Thanks again!

I've never actually played/encountered a Ray34, and I'm not sure I'm correct on this one, but I think that they lack the active electronics of a Stingray, which from playing a Stingray seems to be one of the defining characteristics of them. I played a MM Stingray H model in a shop, and it had no battery in, so I was playing it passive for a while until one of the guys in the store stuck a battery in for me. It still sounded great passive, but it really came to life with the EQ. That's not to say you couldn't fit active electronics onto a Ray34.

Quote by joesl2006
Also Ziphlobat, where abouts is that music shop? (with the schecters) I'll be going to the Bass Cellar on denmark st. in London and a couple of other shops round there.

It's the other side of the country... I'm from Leeds, which is where the music shop I go to is.
Quote by joesl2006

If you can't find an instrument on Denmark street it's probably not available in Britain.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
If you can't find an instrument on Denmark street it's probably not available in Britain.

Or you go to the good shop which isn't owned by the same person that owns all of Denmark Street. The Gallery in Camden is the place to go.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.