Hey,

I've been looking at a few EQ pedals as a start to my pedal collection. I have a multi-fx at the moment but its pretty limited in the eq department. It doesn;t give the ultimate tone either.

At the moment I'll be using a Blackstar HT-1, but will probably look at high gain valve amps like the Peavey 6505 or Blackstar HT-60 and similar when I'm playing more seriously.

My budget at the moment is the $300 mark. If there's something good for less, awesome, if it's more I'll probably delay it though.

I like a prog rock, djent and prog metal based tone, think Tool, Dream Theatre, Karnivool (Meshuggah/Tool influences with 6 strings), Led Zep. I also like more conventional stuff like System of a Down, Black Sabbath, Alterbridge.
Usually boost the mids, use full barre chords and mix in opens, use plenty of arpeggios, have a high gain distortion set on a crunchy level (not too fuzzy), so clarity's good and the attack and dynamics are heavy.

Adelaide Australia's where I'm based and New or Used is good.

The Short-list: I'll be using this to fine tune my tone, and get the sound I want from it. More a part of my tone than a lead boost.

I haven't seen a whole lot at my local stores, but the MXR 10 band caught my eye. Looks like a good investment, I like how it's true bypass and the level of control. I have heard it can get noisy when you boost mids and cut frequencies so that's a bit of a concern. It's mainly scoopers who don't have those issues, which I'm not.

Other then that, there's the Boss units, but they don't sound as natural and effect tone from what I've heard.

An Artec unit caught my eye as true bypass and half the price of the mxr, but the shop pulled it from its site the other day. Not sure if it was worth looking for.

Other than that, any other suggestions? Is a rack-mount equaliser worth looking for instead? I've seen two-channel ones go for similar money to the MXR, but don't know how suitable they are for guitar use.

Cheers.
The 10 band seems to be the standard by which the other eqs are compared. the boss is alright but as with most boss pedals you can do better. i havnt seen the artec so i wont comment on it.

if you wanna go cheap the best cheap unit is the danelectro fish n chips. best eq under $50 for sure.
I have the MXR ten band and I love it. It really helps "shape" things a bit. I haven't experienced noise issues with it at all and I don't "scoop" so not sure about that. It's been a good investment for me and is one of those pieces of gear that would be difficult to do without.
My mxr 10 band was guitet as hell till about a year ago and its about 11 years old
Its one of the oldest things ive got and it survived all the gear transitions ive had...
needless to say I really like it, look at the MXR 6 band EQ's as well...
there are endless reasons to use an EQ. boost, tone shaping.

heck, you can thicken up tone so much you canuse it on small practice amps and make them sound huge. i rock it on my small amp with a 6 inch speaker and with it on there is almost as much bottom end as larger amps with crap 12 inchers.

i use a BOSS and love it. with frequencies boosted, it will add a small amount of noise. the more you boost, the more noise. i use it as a boost primarily, so i dont care. however, it really does thicken up the tone even for cleans on rythm playing. i love it.

i use a bass boost with a slight treble boost. not scooped mids....cause i dont drop any mid frequecies. to its a gentle smiley face with a 7 band, and a tad bit of volume boosted.

it can REALLY thicken up your tone, i love it. bought it used from GC for 40 bucks.

again, im pretty sure nomatter my setup, i can find an application. even if i dont use it regularly, i will use it for practice cause it can make a small amp sound SOOO much more full.
Yeah, I figured if I end up going with a rack, I could use the pedal for the old school radio effect or some other trippy sounds, lol. Now to shop around

The 10 band has an ideal level of control, but I could get the 6 band MXR cheap maybe. Seen it used at a vintage dealer so could possibly haggle.

Almost forgot about the Fish and Chips, lol. Seems like something worth trying for a $50 spend.

The MXR is $250 on the other hand XD Seems like something I'd get a lot of use out of though.
Quote by baumaxx1
Yeah, I figured if I end up going with a rack, I could use the pedal for the old school radio effect or some other trippy sounds, lol. Now to shop around

The 10 band has an ideal level of control, but I could get the 6 band MXR cheap maybe. Seen it used at a vintage dealer so could possibly haggle.

Almost forgot about the Fish and Chips, lol. Seems like something worth trying for a $50 spend.

The MXR is $250 on the other hand XD Seems like something I'd get a lot of use out of though.

The MXR 10 band is only about $125
What about a rack mounted equalizer?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Only problem with buying internationally is the power adaptors. I'm pretty much stuck with AUS stuff unless it doesn't need its own special adaptor.
I've bought a few American things. If the unit uses an external power supply you don't have to worry about the voltage because you can just use one of your own to power it. You have to be careful when buying stuff that plugs straight into the wall because American stuff often has the bad habit of not considering what people outside of the US may need. If it runs an external plug pack you don't have to contend with American parochialism, you just use/build your own supply.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, but then using wrong adaptors can introduce some noise into the circuit. Those fuel tanks are pretty pricey to power multiple pedals eh?
I build my own adapters, no noise there. I regulate them with a LM317T and over filter them. Just stay away from really cheap and nasty ones and you'll be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Expensive? I guess...but it's worth it. It provides reliable power to your pedals, so that way you don't have to worry about frying them, not getting clean power, and reducing the chance of failure at a gig.

And wrong adapters just shouldn't be used. It should always provide the right polarity, have the ability to supply the right amount current, and supply the right voltage.

That's not to say every right adapter will have good filtering, though.

Cathbard, I know what you're saying, but DIYing isn't always a good options for everyone, and DIYing a power supply is a bad place to start, wouldn't you say so?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Expensive? I guess...but it's worth it. It provides reliable power to your pedals, so that way you don't have to worry about frying them, not getting clean power, and reducing the chance of failure at a gig.

And wrong adapters just shouldn't be used. It should always provide the right polarity, have the ability to supply the right amount current, and supply the right voltage.

That's not to say every right adapter will have good filtering, though.

Cathbard, I know what you're saying, but DIYing isn't always a good options for everyone, and DIYing a power supply is a bad place to start, wouldn't you say so?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure that DC power supplies were the first things I ever built. I would have been about 14 at the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you don't need something massively versatile, I know of a guy selling an Empress ParaEQ for a good price (about $200), they're very nice EQ's, and since its parametric you can dial in specific frequencies, you aren't stuck with the 10 that Dunlop/MXR designated for the 10 band graphic.

EDIT: Disregard this.
Buy forsaknazrael's EQ. Do it.
Last edited by littlephil at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you need a lot of versatility with the EQ, the EQ-20 is a good deal. It's basically at least two EQs in one, since you can switch between two equalization curves on the fly. Then you can have a saved bank of 7 or 8 or them.

I'm willing to ship mine internationally, if you want it.

PM'd on the EQ
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Hmm, the Empress Para EQ looks good. It's about MXR 10 band money: http://pedalempire.com.au/collections/empress-pedals/products/para-eq

A bit trickier to use, but you get more control out of it right? Not sure which one would be best, they both look like solid choices. Not sure how well the parametric will go with cutting frequencies? Would the empress give as much control as the 10 band? It looks very good.

With the Boss, by the time I ship it over and get a power adaptor for it, It's no longer such a bargain, lol. About the same price point as the MXR. The idea of having multi channels sounds cool, but knowing Boss pedals, it changes your tone and probably is a bit noisy. I'll probably need to get the power adaptor separate too? By then I can get a rack eq, lol.

Ugh so many decisions XD. Ideally it's something that will be an integral part of my tone and I won't need to replace. Extra channels seem handy, but don't know how many I'll end up using yet.
Well, with the Empress, you only have 3 bands simultaneously, but you can choose which exact frequencies they are, and how wide the bandwidth is (how many frequencies around the selected frequency are also being cut/boosted)

Say you just want an overall mid boost, you'd set the bandwidth to be wide, then set the boost to where you want it, and you can sweep the frequency until you find the sweet spot for you.
Setting it like that would be basically the same as setting the 10 band with a reverse smile curve.

It gives you more control, but at the same time not as much. You have more control over the 3 frequencies that are being cut/boosted, but obviously there are only 3 rather than 10.
Ahk, and then you can cut some of the low bass in a similar way and choose how wide the band you're cutting it?
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 10, 2011,
Yep. Basically think of it as 3 curves that you can change the height and width of.
Thats a 1 band EQ, not fully parametric because you cant adjust the bandwidth. With it you can only boost/cut 1 frequency. Not very versatile unless you only want to boost at a single point, you wouldn't be able to boost mids and cut bass at the same time.

Here is the ParaEQ that I mentioned for sale. The guy is in Melbourne I think, but I'm pretty sure he'll ship it to you if you ask.
Ok, so it's the MXR, Empress or Boss by the looks of things.

They all have their pros and cons XD

I could probably get by with one. Set the amp up with a nice full tone and then tighten it up with the eq and cut some stuff. You could probably do all the am radio effects with a simpler 6 band.

The Empress and MXR look quality, and sound pretty natural from what I've seen.

The only thing with the Empress is that I need a power adaptor, and although you can choose the position, curve width and level, it also seems like you're limited to bass-mid-treble, so if you cut all frequencies below 100Hz, not really sure what it will do to the low mids. You may not be able to boost or lower slightly while at the same time boosting high mids?

The MXR is what I'm leaning towards for that reason. Seems good.

Just out of curiosity, are there any foot-switchable/midi rack eqs? Depending on how I end up using the pedal, they could be worth looking into.
Well if you need to adjust more than 3 frequencies at once then an MXR would be better for you.
You can get rack mount parametric EQs like the Empress, they have 3 bands like the Empress, and then a high and low cut.
There's one on Gumtree here for $200
http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-guitars-guitar-amps-DBX-242-PARAMETRIC-EQ-RACKMOUNT-W0QQAdIdZ267901878

I think you'd be better off with the MXR 10 band though.
Yeah, the MXR seems the go unless there's another one around.

Couldn't they have just done this originally? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpBmIMXJffk&feature=related XD
Ohh well, I guess a noise gate would help anyway. COuld look into an ISP decimator or something.

Something like the TC Electronics 1128 would be pretty good though, but I think I won't need anything like that for a while XD.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 10, 2011,