So right now, I'm using Sennheiser CX300 II earbuds as my primary pair to listen to music on the go (school, bus, travel, etc) and they're good, but I notice that it's not as clear as it could be. My budget is no more than $200 and since I know everyone in the Pit is an audiophile, I was wondering what you'd recommend.

Also, my source is an 160gb Ipod classic, and I usually have songs in either WAV files or 320 kb/s mp3.
Ibanez RGA 121
Yahama Pacifica -- painted purple and blue
2000 American Standard Strat
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
MXR Phase 90 with R28 switchable mod
USA Big Muff
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
So right now, I'm using Sennheiser CX300 II earbuds as my primary pair to listen to music on the go (school, bus, travel, etc) and they're good, but I notice that it's not as clear as it could be. My budget is no more than $200 and since I know everyone in the Pit is an audiophile, I was wondering what you'd recommend.

Also, my source is an 160gb Ipod classic, and I usually have songs in either WAV files or 320 kb/s mp3.

Theres your problem.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Theres your problem.

Go on..
Ibanez RGA 121
USA Big Muff
I would stick with the CX-300 IIs and get a nice set of cans with your money. I have the same earbuds for when I'm out and about, and a set of HD595s for serious listening.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
Go on..

Earbuds suck, if it gets any loud around you, the quality of your pieces are gonna sound like balls because of all the noise around you. Then you'll raise the volume, and all it'll do is make everything sound more distortiony and shitty and you'll lose low end like nobodies business.

Get headphones.
pinga
Quote by jgbsmith
I would stick with the CX-300 IIs and get a nice set of cans with your money. I have the same earbuds for when I'm out and about, and a set of HD595s for serious listening.

I actually have a pair of HD555 that I use for home listening, but since they're so open, it's difficult using them in places where there is other noise.

Quote by Cb4rabid
Earbuds suck, if it gets any loud around you, the quality of your pieces are gonna sound like balls because of all the noise around you. Then you'll raise the volume, and all it'll do is make everything sound more distortiony and shitty and you'll lose low end like nobodies business.

Get headphones.

I'm talking about in earbuds, not earphones. They block the sound out well.
Ibanez RGA 121
USA Big Muff
Last edited by Gu1tar_guy1010 at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by Cb4rabid

Get headphones.

Even In-Earbuds? Cause mine happen to have awesome low end.
Baby, I'm Howlin' for You.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
I actually have a pair of HD555 that I use for home listening, but since they're so open, it's difficult using them in places where there is other noise.

I know what you mean, the 595s are the same, but there really isn't any point in investing in earbuds past the CX300 II, the quality doesn't get much better and you can get much better headphones for your money. Look for closed back ones if you want to use them in noisy environments.

Quote by Dylan Jenx

Even if they do, headphones will always have better low end for the price. Last time my buds broke I figured I would give headphones a shot and let me tell you, there's no going back. The sound is so much better.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Quote by Dylan Jenx

I cant speak for in-ear ones because they're extremely unconfortable for me to use not to mention unhealthy. Plus, earbuds are only worth getting to a certain price range. Once they become too expensve, you could score on a set of headphones that sound much much better. The earbuds I use are only $10, and while they arent as good as my headphones, they are a hell of a lot more portable, which is why I use them.

My argument is against the use for expensive earbuds. Not worth it imo.
pinga
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010

there's your problem.
Get a device that supports FLAC, and a pair of JVC marshmallows or whatever expensive pair of headphones the pit suggests.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Apr 9, 2011,
Shure E3. Sound isolating and awesome.

Quote by rushpython
there's your problem.
Get a device that supports FLAC, and a pair of JVC marshmallows or whatever expensive pair of headphones the pit suggests.

Lol FLAC. On earbuds. Placebo much.
Quote by rushpython
there's your problem.

nah. You're not gonna find a set of earbuds where you can hear a difference between a 320k mp3 and a FLAC file. And there's no sound quality difference between wav and flac.

i have some 80 dollar klipsch s4 ear buds that im extremely happy with they block out a lot of sound and have good low end response for ear buds check them out there great for the price
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by rushpython
there's your problem.

WAV and FLAC are no different in terms of sound, FLAC just takes up a bit less space
Ibanez RGA 121
USA Big Muff
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
WAV and FLAC are no different in terms of sound, FLAC just takes up a bit less space

all the more reason to use them.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Cyberbob
GET THESE!!!

Seriously good headphones! So expensive though

Lol nah.

I would post something, but instead just listen to jgbsmith.

Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010

Technically WAV is the best sounding since it's the original, uncompressed file. But that's only if we are talking about digitally recorded music.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Apr 9, 2011,
I would never suggest buying earbuds over $100. There is no point buying really expensive earbuds because portable audio listening devices will never sound good when you're commuting or on the go. There's usually too much outside noise. As well, buying expensive earbuds is a bit of a waste because the quality is just not there.

I also use those same sennheiser's. If you can boost the treble or lower a bit of the bass, it helps the overall mix. Makes it much better.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate

I also use those same sennheiser's. If you can boost the treble or lower a bit of the bass, it helps the overall mix. Makes it much better.

Why would you ever want to boost treble and lower the bass? That's disgusting.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

To get closer to a proper balance. The Sennheiser CX 300 do tend to boost the bass (it even says so on the packaging). If you want unbalanced bass, get beats.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Get studio monitors?

you've got 200 bucks, spend it on some good shit, not some lame ass beats or something

I already have studio monitors, but they can be a bit cumbersome to take on the go. I'm only looking for the best portable earbuds/music listening equipment when I'm not at home.
Ibanez RGA 121
USA Big Muff
Quote by Cb4rabid

Because it helps improve balance and perceived clarity. Booming bass ruins a lot of songs.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Because it helps improve balance and perceived clarity. Booming bass ruins a lot of songs.

There is no such thing. You can never have too much bass. I use bass booster headphones with the EQ set to bass booster.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
There is no such thing. You can never have too much bass. I use bass booster headphones with the EQ set to bass booster.

That's your opinion. It also depends a lot on the genre. IMO, too much bass makes the song sound overly muddy and you loose the higher frequencies.
Ibanez RGA 121
USA Big Muff
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
That's your opinion. It also depends a lot on the genre. IMO, too much bass makes the song sound overly muddy and you loose the higher frequencies.

Its usually because alot of people dont know how to EQ a bass, so like 95% of albums have really crap-ass bass because they focus too much on guitars and stuff.

Unless its like BTBAM or something, they dont need any adjustment.
pinga
To the TS, I would suggest ignoring all of Cb4rabid's posts in this thread. He clearly doesn't know the first thing about good sound (He also uses behringer according to his sig..)
Quote by Horlicks
To the TS, I would suggest ignoring all of Cb4rabid's posts in this thread. He clearly doesn't know the first thing about good sound (He also uses behringer according to his sig..)

Oh obviously. Because im the only who suggested against the use of earbuds, and anybody who likes boosted bass is wrong and you're right.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Oh obviously. Because im the only who suggested against the use of earbuds, and anybody who likes boosted bass is wrong and you're right.

over boosting bass sounds like crap. and sometimes pointless. Like if you listen to "..And Justice for All" and boost the crap out of the bass, its pointless, theres no bass on that album.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Cb4rabid

Actually you weren't the only one. Captivate advised against earbuds over $100 and a number of others had the same idea. And anyone who likes boosted bass isn't wrong, it just isn't what a lot of people are looking for, myself included.
Ibanez RGA 121
USA Big Muff
As a drum n bass fan boosting the bass can be wonderful, fuck the highs.

But for most other music a flat EQ is perfect.
My Bose Quiet Comfort headphones are great. So save up and get them. I can do university work in the noisiest of places. Mmmm.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
Actually you weren't the only one. Captivate advised against earbuds over $100 and a number of others had the same idea. And anyone who likes boosted bass isn't wrong, it just isn't what a lot of people are looking for, myself included.

I was being sarcastic.

Quote by Duffman123
As a drum n bass fan boosting the bass can be wonderful, fuck the highs.

But for most other music a flat EQ is perfect.

pinga