How long is your neck?
Does anyone choose their guitar based on the scale length? Did you know there was any difference? Below are a few of the common scale lengths. The longer the scale length the greater distance between frets of course.

Common Scale Lengths
Fender Strat/Tele 25.5 "
Fender Jazzmaster 25.5"
Fender Jaguar 24"
Gibson Les Paul/SG 24.75"
Gretsch 24.6"
Guild 24.75"
PRS 25"
Ibanez 25.5"
Wafer 25.5”

Did you choose your guitar based on the weight around your neck? Below are a few examples to compare.

Guitar Weights
Fender Stratocaster 4.0 kgs
Gibson Les Paul 4.1 kgs
Gibson SG 3.6 kgs
Epiphone Les Paul 6.6 kgs
Ibanez 4.0 kgs
Rickenbacker 330 3.6 kgs
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet 4.3 kgs
Wafer 2.2 kgs

Can you add some others to these lists?
I chose my guitars based on their tone and capability. I have never bought a guitar based on its scale length or neck weight.
If it´s in tune that is good enough for me.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by KG6_Steven
I chose my guitars based on their tone and capability. I have never bought a guitar based on its scale length or neck weight.

+1

Although I HAVE purchased a guitar with influence from there being 24 frets over 22. So technically length does matter, but less than most factors.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
what the **** is Wafer Guitars!? *looks at username* oicwutudidthar... why do they weigh so little? they must sustain like a ****ing mandolin! and i doubt anyone ever chooses based on scale length other than choosing like a baritone guitar.

Quote by Invert-blu
+1

Although I HAVE purchased a guitar with influence from there being 24 frets over 22. So technically length does matter, but less than most factors.

scale length and number of frets are completely unrelated.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The scale length makes a big difference in tone, the longer, the more twang.
The advatange with shorter scales are the wider intervals you can make with your fingers, but I feel it gets unfomfortable in the hifger frets, so I prefer 25.5 over 24.75.

PRS guitars are actually very interesting because their scales are between the traditinal 25.5 and 24.75

Find what scale length you prefer, especially comfort-wise.
isn't scale length the distance between nut and bridge/tremelo/..? :0

I prefer 'tight' strings,so the greater the scale length the better,on a 24.75 atm.
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
long..hence the name
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Quote by Invert-blu
+1

Yeah, same here. I have a 24-fret PRS CE-24, but I wasn't all that concerned about scale length when I bought it, only that it had 24 frets.
I don't like short scales, so I don't buy them. 25.5" scale for me, please.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My ML's a 24.75" scale but I prefer to use 25.5" scales, little bit more tension for the strings, which I really like. My biggest issue wth a neck is whether I can play it, nowadays most necks are either glossy, which I find sticky and hard to play, or thin/narrow, which due to my big hands and fingers I find very difficult to play. How Chris Broderick managed to use Ibanez all those years is completely beyond me, the guy's massive. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
My basses are either 34" or 35" guitars 25.5".
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I don't care about scale length. Tone and playability is king. Although weight does matter to me. A guitar should be light enough that it doesn't kill my neck/shoulder assuming I am using a relatively comfortable strap.
I don't care about the weight, but I do care about the scale length. My RG2228 is 27" and I love it. Any new guitar I get wouldn't be any shorter.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
For some of us scale length is a huge deal. I have a hard time with a 25.5 scale, I can get around ok on a 24 3/4 and I can tear it up on a 24" scale. I consider 24" short scale, 24 3/4 Med, 25 .5 Lg. You know Brian may (Queen) played a short scale all his life and he built it with his dad. Guy's like Ted nugent played a short scale on alot of his early stuff and I can go on. It doesent matter how expensive or great the tone if you can't play it. There are some people taking steps to make guitars for people at both ends of the scale. I am 1 of them

Jimmy
Durango Guitar Works
Short Scale Guitars
http://durangoguitarworks.com/short-scale-guitars.html
Jimmy
Durango Guitar Works
Short Scale Guitar
i have freakish arms and hands so 25.5 is very comfortable to me...i played a 27" baritone and that was pretty comfy too.
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
i have tiny hands and I can do a 28 fine. hand sizing has more to do with nut width.

My seven gives me trouble but my bari is easy as hell.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by waferguitars
How long is your neck?
Does anyone choose their guitar based on the scale length? Did you know there was any difference? Below are a few of the common scale lengths. The longer the scale length the greater distance between frets of course.

Common Scale Lengths
Fender Strat/Tele 25.5 "
Fender Jazzmaster 25.5"
Fender Jaguar 24"
Gibson Les Paul/SG 24.75"
Gretsch 24.6"
Guild 24.75"
PRS 25"
Ibanez 25.5"
Wafer 25.5”

More number of frets than scale length. I find Strats with 21 frets. To be far less comfortable than a Strat with 22 frets. I find 24 frets with 25.5 scale to be the most comfortable.

Quote by waferguitars

Did you choose your guitar based on the weight around your neck? Below are a few examples to compare.

I can always get a wider strap for a heavier guitar. The size of the body and position of the strap pins (ergonomics) are far more important to me.

My Charvel is huge. I had to move the back strap pin closer to the center of the body to make it balance better.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
I don't get these people talking about playability and scale length as if they have nothing to do with each other.
Honk
Quote by Mukersman
I don't get these people talking about playability and scale length as if they have nothing to do with each other.

huh?
Quote by Mukersman

I believe you when you say you don't get it.
Scale length is definitely related to playability. Longer scale = more tension = tighter strings, meaning bends will be harder, but chord work feels stiffer. Short scale will give you a looser feel, so bending is easier, but having the lower strings too loose can mean chord work is more difficult as you can pull the strings out of tune easier if you have a heavy fretting hand.
Quote by littlephil
I believe you when you say you don't get it.
Scale length is definitely related to playability. Longer scale = more tension = tighter strings, meaning bends will be harder, but chord work feels stiffer. Short scale will give you a looser feel, so bending is easier, but having the lower strings too loose can mean chord work is more difficult as you can pull the strings out of tune easier if you have a heavy fretting hand.

if you buy off the shelf strings tension could be an issue i suppose.
My LP and currently my only working guitar is a 24.75" scale. Gotten used to it since it's the only guitar I ever play.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by AcousticMirror
if you buy off the shelf strings tension could be an issue i suppose.

Oh you go away with your custom string sets for optimal tension
Even with custom sets the tension will still be change depending on the scale length, so will the tone.
Quote by littlephil
Oh you go away with your custom string sets for optimal tension
Even with custom sets the tension will still be change depending on the scale length, so will the tone.

i thought we were talking about playability not tone.

lol
I chose my 7 string because it was a 26.5" scale.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by AcousticMirror
i thought we were talking about playability not tone.

lol

I never know what you're talking about
I'm just saying of course scale length affects tone.

That's why you should have one of each.
Well, even between two of the exact same model there can be big differences in weight, and if I'm able to choose I wouldn't take the heavy one. Since I live in a small town with one small music store you have to order most guitars anyway - and you have no idea if you are going to get a Strat that weighs a ton, or a really light Tele.

I have been lucky that way, my brother hasn't - his Charvel So-Cal is the heaviest guitar I know. I wouldn't take that one if I knew I would be standing for more than a couple of minutes.

Scale-length then? 25,5'' all the way. They just feel better to bend on; even though I played a Les Paul for my first year of playing the guitar I instantly knew I had come home when I first tried a Strat. I have long and slim fingers and the neck of a Strat or Tele just feels right.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
At least 25.5. But I've played lower and they're fine as long as you don't tune to low, and as long as you don't think you'll miss the few extra frets.
Quote by 3lusiv3
At least 25.5. But I've played lower and they're fine as long as you don't tune to low, and as long as you don't think you'll miss the few extra frets.

Scale length doesn't affect the number of frets. Plenty of basses are 34" scale and only have 22 frets, and there are guitars with 24.75" scales and 24 frets.
Quote by Invert-blu
So technically length does matter, but less than most factors.
lesson for life, kiddies
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55