I am looking for suggestions for recording equipment. (for personal use)

I am converting half of my garage into a "home studio" type thing. Otherwise known as a man-cave that I can escape and play guitar at whatever volume I would like.

I want to preferably mic my AC30. I am looking for something that I could hook up to my computer. I would prefer to mic the amp as opposed to buying some sort of direct box so please no POD suggestions I have owned one in the past and hated it. I am looking at things similar to the TASCAM starter set ups that have the mics and such. My budget is $500 USD firm, I can't go more then that. Like I said it doesn't have to be super great quality just good enough that I can record and possibly post my stuff for critiques and such.

So if anyone has any experience with these types of things I'd love to hear it.
Are you going to be recording drums? How many mics will you be running at a time?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
No drums, just guitar, maybe vocals. So say at least 2 mics but as many as I can get at decent quality within my budget.
I currently have the Tascam US-2000. It's a really good unit, which I consider to be somewhere between a Pod and a full-blown mixer. It's a rackmount unit that comes with Cubase. It has 16 inputs, 8 are mic/instrument and the other 8 are line. If you think that you'll never use all the inputs, then you need to think about future expansion and growth. I thought I'd never use all of mine, but in just a couple of years, I've gotten to the point where I've outgrown mine and am looking at buying a 24-channel mixer and ADAT. I've gone the direction of outboard, rackmounted equipment (compressors, effects, etc...), which can be done with the US-2000, but not quite as well as it can be done with a true mixer. The US-2000 and Cubase are really geared towards plug-ins, which are fine, but I prefer the real thing. The 2000 fits into your budget, so long as you have a PC with USB2.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Apr 9, 2011,
I use a Shure SM-57(~100.00) and mic my amp

M-Audio USB Interface Has(~119.00) - This only has 1 mic input though but it does the trick

I also spent 40 bucks on an amp/mic combo stand for about 40 bucks.
It does the trick for me for basic recording.

If you're gonna want more mics just find an interface with more mic inputs. I think M-Audio has one for about 150ish...
If you own a mac
or you have ubuntu
get an apogee one and a sm57
You wont get a better advice than this
other cheap interface can record many instruments at a time but they lack the BALLS but in apogee one there is only one input but that is godly
google google
btw wrong fourm
Quote by KG6_Steven
I currently have the Tascam US-2000. It's a really good unit, which I consider to be somewhere between a Pod and a full-blown mixer. It's a rackmount unit that comes with Cubase. It has 16 inputs, 8 are mic/instrument and the other 8 are line. If you think that you'll never use all the inputs, then you need to think about future expansion and growth. I thought I'd never use all of mine, but in just a couple of years, I've gotten to the point where I've outgrown mine and am looking at buying a 24-channel mixer and ADAT. I've gone the direction of outboard, rackmounted equipment (compressors, effects, etc...), which can be done with the US-2000, but not quite as well as it can be done with a true mixer. The US-2000 and Cubase are really geared towards plug-ins, which are fine, but I prefer the real thing. The 2000 fits into your budget, so long as you have a PC with USB2.

I was looking at these good to hear good reviews about them I may end up going this route.

Quote by deepsal

If you own a mac
or you have ubuntu
get an apogee one and a sm57
You wont get a better advice than this
other cheap interface can record many instruments at a time but they lack the BALLS but in apogee one there is only one input but that is godly
google google
btw wrong fourm

Will this work with a standalone (boot cd) version of Ubuntu or do I actually have to do a full install?

And sorry about the wrong forum.