Hey guys.

Alright so i have been playing guitar for some time and i want to start a band. Already got a few buddies that are interested in the same idea so we can consider that it's formed for the sake of this conversation.

To the question. So we are basically starters and i am looking for recommendation from you more experienced guys(or girls sorry ) about which songs should we start with. Some that are easy so we can get to know each others playing habits. And also the the we want to play an entire song and not to skip the solo :P (For example i can play Black Sabbath-Iron man but the Tony Iommis solo is bit harder, got it to 85% speed).
What song did you start with? the genre could be any metal or rock.

Looking forward to your recommendations. Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEywYigygnk

once you guys get that down i think nothing else will really be a problem lol

lol jk for real though i think if you want some good sounding songs that are easy to play look into playing some a day to remember they're like a punkpop/metal band and they're pretty good i dont know anyone that doesnt like them.
Frontbassman sucks in the nicest way possible

Kevin and Kelsey 12-03-2007

well just start out doin some easy stuff like some Dragonforce lol jk
seriously though, just about anything punk would prob be fine. Also Nirvana songs would prob be a good idea...
kevin: haha thanks, altho i am not familiar with that band at all, gonna look it up, which songs do you recommend?

Haribo: i prefer metal and rock to punk :P

also guys tell me specific songs not just random band name, i'd appreciate it
Last edited by Dzefry at Apr 9, 2011,
smells like teen sprit - nirvana, sounds good the solo is simple and a good song to start off with.
Irons
Thanks ethan. Alright, guess i didn't specify the question well.

Guys what were your first 5 songs to play with a band? Let's run with that for the time being.
if you like a day to remember go for Since you been gone - tis awsome...

also what about sugar - system of a down. pretty easy... sounds amazing
Quote by Dzefry
Thanks ethan. Alright, guess i didn't specify the question well.

Guys what were your first 5 songs to play with a band? Let's run with that for the time being.

Blink 182 - Dammit, sum 41 - hell song, the offspring - can't repeat, Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit, Greenday - Welcome to paradise.

We just chose some really easy songs, that we could learn in about 5 minutes to get them jam-able. They all have a good moderate pace to them which will make it a little more fun to jump around.
Quote by H4R1B0

also what about sugar - system of a down. pretty easy... sounds amazing

Win, exactly the type of the song i was looking for i desire more songs like that

"Since you been gone" i heard from kelly clarkson but nice cover
Last edited by Dzefry at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by Dzefry
Win, exactly the type of the song i was looking for i desire more songs like that

"Since you been gone" i heard from kelly clarkson but nice cover

Anything by SOAD/Scars on Broadway/some Serj Tankian are great in that vein, though some require keyboards and multiple vocalists. All somewhat simple yet effective. RATM, Mudvayne, Mastodon, Anthrax, and Sabbath all have fairly easy parts, though they come in various tunings, so if you specify a tuning you want to use it'd be helpful.

Depending on what your vocalist can do, fun stuff would be Killing In The Name Of by RATM, They Say by Scars, BYOB/Suite Pee/War?/Science/Psycho/Sad Statue by SOAD, Empty Walls by Serj, Blood and Thunder by Mastodon, Indians/I Am The Law by Anthrax, Dig/Dull Boy by Mudvayne, and Heaven and Hell by Sabbath. All of these are pretty simple, some more than others, and the solos that are there are easy (though Killing... requires a wah, and I Am The Law has a pitch shifter, but this can be worked around).
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Anything by SOAD/Scars on Broadway/some Serj Tankian are great in that vein, though some require keyboards and multiple vocalists. All somewhat simple yet effective. RATM, Mudvayne, Mastodon, Anthrax, and Sabbath all have fairly easy parts, though they come in various tunings, so if you specify a tuning you want to use it'd be helpful.

Depending on what your vocalist can do, fun stuff would be Killing In The Name Of by RATM, They Say by Scars, BYOB/Suite Pee/War?/Science/Psycho/Sad Statue by SOAD, Empty Walls by Serj, Blood and Thunder by Mastodon, Indians/I Am The Law by Anthrax, Dig/Dull Boy by Mudvayne, and Heaven and Hell by Sabbath. All of these are pretty simple, some more than others, and the solos that are there are easy (though Killing... requires a wah, and I Am The Law has a pitch shifter, but this can be worked around).

Standard C and Drop D it's easy to switch between the two.
You nailed it in the head. You totally understood what i was looking for
Last edited by Dzefry at Apr 10, 2011,
Metallica - Fuel(easy solo, powerful song)
Metallica - die die my darling (no solo )
Motorhead - Ace of spades
RATM - Testify, freedom, sleep now in the fire
Audioslave - Your time has come, cochise, like a stone, original fire
Pearl jam - rockin in the free world, state of love and trust, the fixer

If your bassist is good:
Red hot chilli peppers - easily, suck my kiss, all aroud the world

cheers
Quote by Dzefry
Standard C and Drop D it's easy to switch between the two.
You nailed it in the head. You totally understood what i was looking for

be careful: Standard E and drop D are easy to switch.. for the standard C you have to re-tune all the strings.
Quote by Salefajter
Metallica - Fuel(easy solo, powerful song)
Metallica - die die my darling (no solo )
Motorhead - Ace of spades
RATM - Testify, freedom, sleep now in the fire
Audioslave - Your time has come, cochise, like a stone, original fire
Pearl jam - rockin in the free world, state of love and trust, the fixer

If your bassist is good:
Red hot chilli peppers - easily, suck my kiss, all aroud the world

cheers

Jeez, great picks mate. Specially the audioslave shit is great. Wondering now how could i have not remembered them. Great songs, also not that hard

random comment from youtube on original fire

"An interesting fact a lot of people don't know. At around 2:27, if you listen very carefully you can actually hear Morello put his guitar down, then pick up an angry cat and start playing that."

laughed my ass off, altho i don't have a pedal so that could be a problem(same reason why i'm not playing killing in the name of-ratm).

cheers and thanks
Quote by Salefajter
be careful: Standard E and drop D are easy to switch.. for the standard C you have to re-tune all the strings.

fingers faster than brain that's what i thought anyways
Quote by Dzefry

"An interesting fact a lot of people don't know. At around 2:27, if you listen very carefully you can actually hear Morello put his guitar down, then pick up an angry cat and start playing that."
l

LOL

When you play morello, nobody expects you to play exactly like morello...usually any lick in pentatonic will suit perfectly. In original fire I just play some wah..if you have no pedal use some palm-muting over chords and will work.
For Killing try this trick: play it an octave higher (15 - 18 fret) and slide up to the notes, to get the "whammy" effect. this is how i played it before i got a decent pedal
use the same trick for Like a stone

cheers