Hey guys.

I'm still at school, doing my GCSE course in music. I'm currently composing music. What I want to ask is, what do I need to start recording and editing audio for my laptop? At school I use Cubase (not sure which version) to program and edit the main body of music and a Nio FX Rack (not sure which model) to record guitar parts. I also use a program called Reason for different instrument sounds.

Anyone got any tips on a basic set up to record my guitar playing and writing music ? Not interested in vocals at the moment, mainly recording my electric guitar and programming/editing the music. By the way I'm using a Compaq laptop.

Thanks guys,
Hayden
well it's quite simpe,get a user friendly DAW to star as a beginner,like REAPER,personally i use presonus studio one pro.
For the guitar sound you can use a mic to record guitar but to make it sound good you need a good tube amp,good knowledge about amp micing,a good money to buy one or more microphones.
Or you could get a amp simulation program like guitar rig,revalver or the POD farm to get a guitar sound.
After that just plug in the cable in the audio interface and hit record
Thanks LowBStrings, but how would I connect the guitar to the laptop? In school, the Nio FX Rack is plugged into the computer, then a 1/4'' lead is plugged from the guitar into the rack. Would I use a USB/1/4'' lead to plug my guitar into my laptop?
Quote by LowBstring
well it's quite simpe,get a user friendly DAW to star as a beginner,like REAPER,personally i use presonus studio one pro.
For the guitar sound you can use a mic to record guitar but to make it sound good you need a good tube amp,good knowledge about amp micing,a good money to buy one or more microphones.

Not true, I've used solid-state amps to record before, for various effects only they possess (in fact, I even used a Line 6 Spider II 212 on a recording, and we were very happy with the sound), plus an SM57 is a fairly cheap microphone but one of the best in many situations... others that do well are also cheap, such as the Audix i5 and Sennheiser e609/906. I only agree about the knowledge bit (although some people can fluke a good tone every so often) - the other bits are just helpful to have on offer, rather than vital.

Or you could get a amp simulation program like guitar rig,revalver or the POD farm to get a guitar sound.
After that just plug in the cable in the audio interface and hit record

I definitely wouldn't suggest Guitar Rig from my experiences with it. There are plenty of freeware programs that sound better than GR.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
So, to say I got Cubase and POD Farm, how would I set up it? Something like:
Guitar -> Laptop - POD Farm(build tone) - Cubase (record on audio track)

Or if I had Cubase and a Nio FX Rack:
Guitar -> Nio FX Rack -> Laptop - Nio FX interface(build tone) - Cubase (record on audio track)