Im in state of confusion at the moment becuase Im not sure whether to buy a peavey valveking now (My friend is selling a cheap one for 320£ and i really want a good metal/solo type amp for example like Cob, Trivium, Megadeth, Jason Becker and ive heard some reviews that the valveking doesent do that sorta sound but then theres the peavey 6505+ which i know really packs the gain to a good metal sound since ive studied that trivium and many modern day metal bands use the amps but really at the moment i dont have enough money yet to buy the 6505 so is it worth saving up an extra 100£ to get the 6505 or will the valveking do the job..?

Thanks.
Some will say Valveking, but I'm gonna have to say to wait and get the 6505. While I don't particularly like the 6505 that much, it may satisfy you much better than the VK would.
I found the VK cheap like you have, and I bought a OD pedal (digitech BM for 35$) to give it a gain boost, plus I did some uber cheap mods (like 5 bucks in total) to get some more gain out of it too. Now it's heavy enough for my thrash band and I don't think I'll ever need to get a 6505. I think the Valveking gets really underrated in the gain compartment. Sure, out of the box it's not a beast by any means, but it takes literally no effort to get some extra punch out of it.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
I'd say valveking, but that's cause I'm full on in love with valve amps :P For the kind of stuff you wanna play, I'd say save up
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
I don't play metal, but I think the valveking can do a metal tone quite well. Then again my idea of a medal tone reflects that of guitarists like Randy Rhoads. Lots of mids with a moderate amount of gain. I don't move that gain knob above 5 with the boost switch engaged and it goes what I need it to. A friend of mine has a 6505+ and I think the tone is shaped with bass and more lower mids in mind.
Get the 6505+ for what you play.

I have a ValveKing and I can make it do death metal, but it's a lot of work, and at the end of the day, it's still not really suited for modern tones.

That said, it does have an excellent clean channel, so if you want to put in the work to make it sound modern, that will be an added benefit.

Though even after all the tings I've done, the bottom end of the VK just cannot compare to my 5150. The 6505 is definitely a much better metal beast.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thats intresting tyler as much as i love Randy i figured if im playing with my band and i turn up with a nice Randy Rhoads/Jake E.lee Sound there gonna turn around and say turn the gain up.

Offworld i play classical/jazz from time to time when i want to be somewhat different but im not looking for a brilliant and bright clean sound so im thinking the 6505 will be my best bet
The 6505+ 112's clean channel is okay, at best. It's not as good as the 212 combo or the heads, but it's still usable. Just sounds pretty sterile. But that can usually be masked with a generous helping of reverb.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For leads? Yeah, Valveking wont cut it in that department. Sure, it's a great rhythm amp for metal with some mods, but I've never been able to get a good solo tone from it using any high gain setting.

You can look at my MP3's to get an idea as to what the Valveking can do in the metal department.
I own a valveking
I can play the broots on it
But if Metal solo is your style, it would be better to save for the 6505
Quote by makutoid
I'd say valveking, but that's cause I'm full on in love with valve amps :P

but the 6505 is valve too...

anyway, I say 6505 later! You won't regret it.

Quote by Offworld92
The 6505+ 112's clean channel is okay, at best. It's not as good as the 212 combo or the heads, but it's still usable. Just sounds pretty sterile. But that can usually be masked with a generous helping of reverb.
does 1 more (or 3) 12" speaker really affect the tone THAT much?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Last edited by JAHellraiser at Apr 9, 2011,
Dude, £320 for a used Valveking is a shit price. I've seen them sell on gumtree and ebay for £150 - £250. I sold mine for £260 and I considered myself lucky, but yeah, get the 6505, you won't regret it, I think Fisheth24 is selling his 6505+ 112 for £350 on here.
Thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it i'll sleep on it and see what happens tommorow but to be honest so far im going for the 6505+ Thanks again.
Quote by JAHellraiser

does 1 more (or 3) 12" speaker really affect the tone THAT much?

Not really. Mostly having 2+ speakers mostly just adds low end, that "oomph".

Number of speakers isn't the only difference between them though. The 6505+ 112 has an inferior circuit and components to all the other 6505's.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VK on its own wont get you into that territory, so as others have mentioned, pick up a nice OD along side it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
How much longer will it take you to save up the money?

I would say wait unless it's going to be like 2 years. In the end, you'll be much happier with the 6505. If you get the Valveking now, once you have the 6505 I'm fairly sure you'll look at the Valveking and say "Damn I should've just saved up a bit more and gotten this 6505 sooner"

EDIT: I also thought the Valveking wasn't really worth it at all as an amp. Of course I only played a stock combo in the store, but you can only do so much to help it out. For the price of the head I would prefer my Jet City 50W any day.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Apr 9, 2011,
Sounds like you really want a 6505 so save for one. Patience is a virtue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Valveking isnt the best choice for metal. Even though it is Class A...when it gets into the metal territory...it doesn't distance itself from solid state amps very much.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Apr 10, 2011,
when you wanna mod the VK to get br00tz like the 6505, you have to put money in it, so the result is that you have a big chance of ruining it ( when you can't solder good )

I would wait for a amp with warranty
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
The valveking doesn't sound very good. For metal, the 6505+ is definitely the winner out of the two. However, I would suggest that you save up for a bogner alchemist. 'Tis beaut.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.