Page 1 of 4
ok so my dad has an 06 ram that is stick shift. he left the truck in the driveway blocking my car. my car cant get out cuz of the ram. so what i need to do is put the ram outta the way so i can pull out with my car. thing is ive never used stick shift before. so how can i do this?? plz help pit i need to go see my girl in 30 min. ty
Push in clutch, shift to reverse, move, push in clutch, shift to first, emergency brake, done.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Put it in reverse? There are symbols on the stick that show you where to put it for the various gears. Oh, and you need to use the clutch. Good luck.
Just tell your dad you need the truck out of way
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
How is it possible to have a license and not know how to use a stick shift? I thought it was something most people learned while learning to drive.
my dad isnt home alright ty PlayMadness, but when i turn it on wat do i do??
You've never driven manual, and you want to reverse it out the driveway? *Sigh*

EDIT: Push the clutch in (the left hand pedal) and keep it in. Put it into reverse and slowly release the pressure until it starts moving - hold it there and reverse it out. Obviously you can do it quicker, but it's probably best to keep it as slow as possible.

EDIT2: He probably puts it into first so that if the handbrake fails, it won't roll.
Last edited by andyscoot at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by Johnnysd
How is it possible to have a license and not know how to use a stick shift? I thought it was something most people learned while learning to drive.

I think stick shift is a rare occurance in the States.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Wouldn't surprise me.

@manny95er:Your dad puts in first gear to keep it from rolling, instead of using the handbrake. Many people do that.
Quote by Johnnysd

Americans are lazy and don't want to learn it.
Why don't you Americans just learn to drive properly?

Anyway, just depress the clutch and go into either first gear or reverse if the car needs to reverse. As you start to rev, slowly raise the clutch. Do not lift the clutch instantly; you will stall. Move the car, then when you stop, depress the clutch all the way down while you press the brake. When the car stops, put the handbrake on and put the gearstick back into neutral (it should wobble easily from side to side in neutral). Also make sure it's in neutral when you start the car.
Anyone mention that he has to depress the clutch in order to start it?

Because he needs to.
Quote by sfaune92
I think stick shift is a rare occurance in the States.

It is. My father's pick up truck is the only manual I've ever seen.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Pagan-Pie

1. Give youth driving license at 16.
2. Let them subscribe to be organ donors.
3. Poor ****ers drives poorly and crash.
4. ORGANS FOR EVERYONE!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Yeah, I love living here and driving a manual because nobody can drive my car!
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by PlayMadness
It is. My father's pick up truck is the only manual I've ever seen.

in newer rigs manuals are pretty rare but my ranger is a manual and i ****ing love it.
ok Step1:put car in nuetral, then turn it on?

can u guys help me make a list like htis plz and thanks to whoever is trying to help much appreciated
Quote by sfaune92
1. Give youth driving license at 16.
2. Let them subscribe to be organ donors.
3. Poor ****ers drives poorly and crash.
4. ORGANS FOR EVERYONE!

Well we do have an donor organ shortage here in Ireland. Then again all our livers are soaked in alcohol.
Ask a neighbor or passerby. Be prepared for them to laugh at you though.
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
If the driveway goes down a hill - which I assume it does if your dad leaves the car in first, just put it in neutral (by depressing the furthest right pedal and moving that big scary stick thingy into the middle so you can move it from side to side freely) then release the handbrake and let it roll back. If you've never driven a proper car before you'll definitely fuck it up, especially since you can't figure it out on your own.

Once it's rolled far enough down the drive, the big middle pedal makes it slow down so you can press this one to make it stop, then put the hand brake on again. Done.

Now go get some driving lessons.
Quote by manny95er

can u guys help me make a list like htis plz and thanks to whoever is trying to help much appreciated

You don't have to put it in neutral to turn in on.

Just:

1. Depress clutch and start engine.
2. Shift into reverse.
3. Slowly let off clutch while lightly pressing gas.
Quote by Pagan-Pie

What makes manual transmissions automatically "proper?"

Alternatively, fuck you.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
ok thanks ibanez but ima have to roll back up if i want to make space for my jeep to rooll out
and before i do that i have to turn it on right??
Quote by goest

Just:

2. Shift into reverse.

Don't tell him to press the gas, he'll propel himself out into the road

Being very gentle at releasing the clutch should be enough to get it moving, especially if he has no clue what he's doing and wants to take it slow.

Quote by manny95er
ok thanks ibanez but ima have to roll back up if i want to make space for my jeep to rooll out
and before i do that i have to turn it on right??

Well how steep is your driveway? The momentum of rolling back might be enough to move it back onto the pavement too. If it isn't, you will need to start the engine and stuff.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by goest

Just:

2. Shift into reverse.

the thing is that my dad leaves the car in first gear when parked
Quote by manny95er

Put car in neutral (with handbrake on!) and switch on.

Depress clutch.

Select gear (reverse?)

Slowly apply some revs and slowly increase clutch. Use only a small amount of revs.

Remove handbrake.

Do your manoeuvre.

Depress the foot brake and clutch simultaneously to come to a stop.

Put the hand brake on.

Place car in neutral.

Switch car off and put it in first.

EDIT: Your profile said you only turned 16 a few days ago. You're probably going to destroy your father's car. I accept no liability for damage to property, injury or death.
Last edited by Pagan-Pie at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by manny95er
the thing is that my dad leaves the car in first gear when parked

That's fine. Hold down the god damn clutch and it will turn on.
Is the thing on a hill? Does it need to reverse down the hill to get out, or roll forward to get out? We need all these details to help you.
Okay most of the English people or European UGers need to realize that we use the left side as the driver.

Step one: Press clutch (furthest left), and possibly the brake since you are on a hill.
Step two: move the shift knob to the center *aka the neutral, hard to describe it sorry*
Step three: turn on the truck (with the clutch still on.)
Step four: Let go of the brake, so the truck can go back, and since you might stall it at first going on the gear. (stll press on the clutch btw...you are gonna ride it but I doubt it will do anything too severe)
Step five: move it out of the way and move it back to first gear, turn off the truck...handbrake also. And you are done.

Sorry if I missed out some steps, I am in a hurry so best of luck. YouTube if you have to kid.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
@ Ibanez well i think it will be able to roll down
OK i think i got it Put car in nuetral using clutch pedal
Turn on
press clutch change to reverse let go of clutch slowley
when its backed up enough, press brake use clutch n put it in 1st gear, slowley press gas to move around my normal car. when done put car in nutreal using clutch turn off then put it in first gear PS my dad doesnt use handbrake at all.
Quote by spanishyanez
Okay most of the English people or European UGers need to realize that we use the left side as the driver.

The pedal layout will be the same.
Quote by manny95er
@ Ibanez well i think it will be able to roll down
OK i think i got it Put car in nuetral using clutch pedal
Turn on
press clutch change to reverse let go of clutch slowley
when its backed up enough, press brake use clutch n put it in 1st gear, slowley press gas to move around my normal car. when done put car in nutreal using clutch turn off then put it in first gear PS my dad doesnt use handbrake at all.

That seems right. Just remember to be extremely gentle with the clutch. And use the handbrake, it's easier when you're learning. Don't be surprised if your dad is furious.

Are you actually qualified to drive alone?
yea i just got my licesne during the week. alright thanks everyone so much with the help and i just checked n the floor board has 4 pedals???
Yeah, I'd like to say right now that none of us can be held responsible for this.
Quote by manny95er
yea i just got my licesne during the week. alright thanks everyone so much with the help and i just checked n the floor board has 4 pedals???

Are you sure one of them isn't a foot rest? My car has a foot rest next to the clutch. Try to press them all and report back.
Page 1 of 4