Is it only appropriate to use call a note a 9th when in the second octave of a scale?
as in: Root, (2nd or 9th), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, Root, (9th or 2nd)
KING DIAMOND LOVES OLD LADIES
Yeah, in chords you typically would always call the 9th a 9th, regardless of where it is, but in actual intervals the 2nd is one whole step up from the bass note and the 9th is one octave plus a major second.
it depends on the context in chords, in a sus2 chord, it's a second, otherwise it's likely a 9th.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Sean0913
Sus wont have a 3, that's what also tends to make a sus 2/4 chord obvious.

Sean
Yep. That's a pretty good rule of thumb, if there's a 3 and a 2/9, then the 2/9 is going to be pretty definitely a 9. I can't think of any example where it would actually be a 2, unless you're getting into stuff like tetrachords and tone clusters.

When you're talking about scales and you play it up past the octave (like the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 pattern), you will generally call the octave-root an 8 or "octave" and the octave-2 a 9.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Here it is real simple.

A 9th chord will always have a minor 7th interval with a major 2nd on top of it. You know 7 + 2 = 9. A sus2 chord won't have the 7th interval in there.

For instance D9 would have the notes D - F# - A - C - E all in there like at X54555.

A typical Dsus2 chord is the XX0230 shape.

Notice the difference?
Quote by Play_It_Loud
Here it is real simple.

A 9th chord will always have a minor 7th interval with a major 2nd on top of it. You know 7 + 2 = 9. A sus2 chord won't have the 7th interval in there.

For instance D9 would have the notes D - F# - A - C - E all in there like at X54555.

A typical Dsus2 chord is the XX0230 shape.

Notice the difference?

yes, a 9th chord will be constructed with that 7th + 2nd rule. but you can have a chord without a 7th and have it still be a 9th. don't confuse yourself on that.

the rules behind naming it a 2nd or a 9th tend to revolve around the presence of a 3rd, more so than the presence of a 7th (which is what sean and food were talking about).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.