I'm looking at buying a Marshall JVM410H to go with my Marshall 1960A 4X12 but events tonight have got me thinking. I went to see a band in a pub, which is the kind of venue my band will soon be playing and a few of things struck me:

1) I doubt I'd fit my 4X12 in the space they had!
2) They weren't that loud due to the limited space and valve amps usually sound worse quieter so why the hell am I looking at 100w?
3) The guitarist was using what looked like a new Spider Valve and was getting some decent saturated lead tones and I doubt I could do that on a 100w valve amp without earsplitting volume.

For a largely pub band, is a JVM 410H really the best choice for me and if not, what is a really good option to give me a wide range of quality tones and saturated leads for a covers band?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
broken record time...

thomann is getting the traynor ycv50 back into stock, at the same bargain price, in may.

Though I don't know how heavy it gets, it might not be heavy enough.

I'd be wary of discounting something you know you'd like just because of the wattage- can't you get the jvm in a 50 watt combo version? might also be worth considering if you know the amp will do what you want.

Plus I mean I don't know if that saturated lead tone always means high volumes anyway, it might just be a ton of preamp gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
look at a lower wattage amp?50 maybe 30 watts
maybe one with a master volume

not sure what sound your going for so not sure what to recommend
A 100W amp will be only slightly louder than a 50W one.
Around 3Db.
Thats about the same difference as between a 212 and a 412 cab.

Whats your budget?
You could try one of the Blackstar Artisan or Series One amps, they are Marshally but good old fashioned Marshally, not the fizzy mess thats the JVM. THey have a power dial- you can go from full power to 1/10 power. ZIe for the S1 200 you can go from 200W to 20W. And yes, they are all tube the hybrids are the HT series.
Again, thats just my personal opinion.
The Mesa Lonestar also has a multi watt feature.

But unless you tell use genres, bands, budget, we cant help you.]
I'm assuming its USD2 grand as youre after the flagship JVM.

The Mesa Stilletto/Lonestar will do well.
So will a Splawn of some sort.

EDIT: Again, some amps need to be cranked, some do not.

ie Peavey 5150- to get the most out of it you really need to crank it.
Peavey JSX on the other hand, isnt so finicky.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by supersac
look at a lower wattage amp?50 maybe 30 watts
maybe one with a master volume

not sure what sound your going for so not sure what to recommend

jvm has a master volume

Quote by GS LEAD 5

EDIT: Again, some amps need to be cranked, some do not.

yeah that's what i meant
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I live in the UK and I was going to buy used so say about £600. I play in a Rock covers band, playing anything from Feeder to Metallica, though my personal taste is for plenty of gain. My core sound is 80s Metal but with a modern aggressiveness to it. I was looking at the JVM410 because I have three basic sounds I use a lot: clean; 80s Metal; Modern Metal and all need to be able to be boosted for solos. The JVM seems to do all of this easily. I did look at the 205H as an option but once I buy the 6-way controller for greater flexibility I might as well have bought the 410 anyway.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
ah ok i thought you could maybe get the 410 in a 50 watt version. if not that's fair enough.

I guess try it and see if it does what you want at the volumes you'll be playing at?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'd probably like a JCM. My other guitarist has a DSL 2000 and it's perfect for what you play.

Also, I once played a show where I had like 3 feet between my amp and the front of the stage. People need to learn you need to backline every single band that's playing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
jvm has a master volume

it has several.

not a fan of the JVM but I won't get into that

Traynor is a good rec. Give us the 6 things we need and maybe we can help a bit further. Did you say the joint was mic'd? Also a 212 cab standing on end might work well for you.
If your willing to spend the money, get that JVM but also get a THD Hot-Plate to go between your head and cabinet so you can get that cranked amp sound at a lower volume.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
it has several.

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm really in two minds about this now. On the one hand, if I get a 2X12 combo it will be easier to transport and set up but I don't immediately see how a 100w head and 4X12 is any worse for space. It's still the width and depth of a 2X12, it's just taller.

Anyway, I'm going to have a rethink about this so any suggestions and comments would be welcome. I have about £600 available and it doesn't have to be new. This figure is flexible as if I go the 2X12 combo route I'll sell the 4X12, which will give me more funds. The amp will need to be able to do clean, 80s Metal and Metallica/Disturbed with all three being able to take a good boost for solos. At the moment I'm thinking of these:

1) Marshall JVM410h with my 4X12
2) Marshall JVM410C 2X12
3) Blackstar HT Stage 60 2X12
4) Bugera 333XL INFINIUM 2X12 (This will need a speaker upgrade)
5) Wait to take a look at the new Laney Ironheart amps
6) Get a Digitech RP1000 and shove thjat through virtually any valve combo and sell all my pedals as well as the 4X12
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Dave_Mc
broken record time...

thomann is getting the traynor ycv50 back into stock, at the same bargain price, in may.

Though I don't know how heavy it gets, it might not be heavy enough.

I'd be wary of discounting something you know you'd like just because of the wattage- can't you get the jvm in a 50 watt combo version? might also be worth considering if you know the amp will do what you want.

Plus I mean I don't know if that saturated lead tone always means high volumes anyway, it might just be a ton of preamp gain.

Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Keep in mind that the Spider Valve is also 100w, if I'm not mistaken.

If you're worried about a 4x12 you can always get a 2x12.

I recommend everything Dave_Mc said also.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??