where are you in the world? They're decent value in the UK, for example, but not so much in america (plus in america you have a lot of other homegrown options which are good value).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah ok

well as i said, marshalls are as good value here as they are anywhere- a lot of people still don't like marshalls, but buying one here doesn't automatically make you an eejit like it might in america (i'm only half-joking ).

other options at a similar price- Laney GH50 or 100L (you need to be ok without multiple channels, though- or consider the vh100r if you need a clean channel)

Laney TT if you can still find them

Matchetts is supposedly a laney dealer but doesn't often have the dearer tube amps.

Engl blackmore (pity the belfast guitar emporium shut... there was a dealer in dublin but I'm not sure if it's still open either )

Bairds stocks peaveys, mesas, bugeras I think. They'd be worth trying out.

Blackstar is probably worth a try too (though the ht series is hybrid, not all tube, nomatter what the shop tells you).

Probably some other options too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Laney TT if you can still find them

I was in touch with Laney only recently and they have a replacement for the TT coming out in a few months that sounds like it will have many of the features of the JVM.

Blackstar is probably worth a try too (though the ht series is hybrid, not all tube, nomatter what the shop tells you).

Why is the HT series hybrid? Sorry if that seems like a daft question but it has power amp valves, preamp valves and there's no mention of any modelling etc. so I don't follow why it's anything other than a full valve amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by Doadman
(a) I was in touch with Laney only recently and they have a replacement for the TT coming out in a few months that sounds like it will have many of the features of the JVM.

(b) Why is the HT series hybrid? Sorry if that seems like a daft question but it has power amp valves, preamp valves and there's no mention of any modelling etc. so I don't follow why it's anything other than a full valve amp.

(a) ah yeah that's true, the ironheart or something like that?

(b) because it doesn't have enough valves for what an all-tube amp of that design would need, basically.

Certainly in the HT5 the phase inverter is done with transistors (in an all-valve amp they'd use a preamp valve for that), there are also a bunch of op-amp gain stages in the preamp (again, an all-valve amp would use a couple more preamp valves for that), and there is diode clipping, much like in an overdrive pedal, to increase the amount of distortion.

So yeah, the HT5 has what, one preamp valve and one power amp valve? To do it all with valves you'd need at very least another two preamp valves. If not three.

EDIT: modelling is not the same as solid state, by the way. Something can be solid state and analogue but not tube, but not contain modelling either. Most sought-after fx pedals are solid state and analogue, and contain no modelling.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 9, 2011,