Poll: Well?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well?
I can do Heel Toe.
22 52%
I can't do Heel Toe.
10 24%
I can kind of do it / Half Heartedly / Not properly.
10 24%
Voters: 42.
Heel Toe seems to be the equivalent of Sweeping for the Drum world - most that know about it want to do it, but not many people can do it perfectly.

Can you do it? If you can, how did you learn? Was it via tutorials online? Did you have lessons?

Poll coming, yo.
RIP Tom Searle.
my brother can do it perfectly. but he had to practice it more since he can't do double bass. He has one hand so he uses his left foot for a pedal that hits a snare placed on the ground.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Yes, I can do it, sounds pretty awesome and is really satisfying once you nail it

I was self-taught actually so didn't use any of those materials. I asked a friend to show me one time, then I just tried to mimic his actions. You need to know that there are probably better ways to learn; the way I did it took A LOT of trial, error and repetition as well as pain. I just sat there constantly trying to do the movement. I got it by accident, then just tried to replicate that. I got it again, and again.... Until I worked my way up from doing it one in ten attempts to all the time.

As with most aspects of playing instruments, practice is the key, bro. Just keep practicing, looking at the technique and you'll get there eventually. Prepare for pain: you're going to bash your foot on the sharp metal chain freaking loads.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
nah, my pedal isnt long enough. Chris adler does it. Search "chris adler bass drum technique" on you tube and he explains how to do it.

You don't need long board pedals for it. Chris Adler has a slightly different way of doing it. His technique requires more physical work but he prefers it like that so he can keep control better when playing shows and can burn off his adrenaline.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by CreepingDeath13
nah, my pedal isnt long enough. Chris adler does it. Search "chris adler bass drum technique" on you tube and he explains how to do it.
^Actually, you probably don't know how to do it right, Chris' technique isn't the traditional method of doing it anyway. Heel toe in reality doesn't have any "heel", all you do is hit the pedal with a regular heel up stroke and then hit another tap once again with your ankle muscles once you've completed the first stroke. There are in fact almost no pedals that would facilitate a stroke with the heel, including Axis and Trick pedals, unless you had VERY small feet, and there are tons of people who use those pedals and that use heel toe-- John Longstreth, Alex Micklewright and Tomas Haake being examples.

As for the poll, yes, I use it quite a lot whether it be for quick double strokes on the feet (two 16ths on one foot, from 140-240 bpm usually) or steady double bass. For the latter, I use heel toe but not as doubles, for that I use two heel up strokes, one on either foot, and then the next two hits are heel down strokes, which brings my feet back into the position for the next two heel up strokes. Very efficient technique, a lot more economical than traditional single strokes though it requires more development of the heel down muscles than many are used to. Also, I use it for stuff like one footed blasts and can push 8th notes at 240 via that method.

As for how I learned it, I pretty much just picked it up with my own observations/watching videos.
Last edited by Steve08 at Apr 9, 2011,
Someone care to explain what Heel Toe is in simple words?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13
Someone care to explain what Heel Toe is in simple words?
It's a method of playing double strokes on the feet (RRLLRRLL etc...), generally two 16ths on one foot, for single pedal, but you can also do it on two pedals for double stroke rolls, basically. John Longstreth from Origin uses heel toe doubles at 260-270 bpm, haha.

The motion for it is basically a heel up stroke, and then once your foot is on the pedal and you've completed the first stroke, you hit another stroke with your ankle muscles. So it's like a heel up stroke and then a heel down stroke, although depending on how you execute it your foot might just be hanging in the air and you use only ankles. It doesn't really matter. But yeah, that's what heel toe is.
Holy shit****. I want to learn.

That sounds kind of complicated. Is it hard to do?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Well, not really. It's pretty easy, actually, just requires some knowledge of all the different bass drum "motions" I guess. Like with anything else though, you need to develop it and you're not going to be doing anything really fast at first but just work on it for a couple minutes a day, maybe try and incorporate the motion into some beats and get it natural and stuff.
i really haven't drummed that long, but i can do it about 80% with my right foot, but i have been working on it a lot, and i only drum barefoot... lol. i just thought i would add that in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It doesn't reaaaaaaaally matter if you wear shoes or if you don't, I usually play in socks myself for comfort reasons, but I could probably still do it in snowboarding boots if I felt like it, though it'd obviously be a bit different haha.
I've been able to do heel-toe for over a year now i just remember looking at it on youtube and just practising thats the ony secret to it, it's very useful for quick blasts on double bass pedal but i can't do it constently oh well again pratise makes perfect
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone SG Special

Amps
HiWatt MaxWatt Gr100
Marshell MG30

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Digitech EX-7
Dunlop cry baby standard
Jekyll+Hyde Ulitmate Overdrive
Ibanez TS-7
BOSS ME-70
Yeah, all it is would be a regular heel up stroke (with your leg) and then another one right after with a heel down stroke basically. It's also important to note that you can use more or less for the same technique, but with single strokes, which is generally called the constant release method. For double strokes it's just a faster whipping motion.
Oddly, it was one of the first things my drum teacher taught me. I'd been playing for a while before I got lessons though so I could sorta do it straight away.
I do it all the time now, although I only have a single pedal and I can't really use it to play a double kick beat so I only use to add the odd double kick accent to my playing, at the end of a fill before hitting the snare and crash together for example
Also, I don't use my heel at all. It's more of a slide forward of my foot so the one motion creates two "kicks" if you like
Yeah, that's the slide technique you're talking about if I read right, which isn't heel toe, but ultimately they're both just two different ways to accomplish the same thing (double strokes on the feet).
I'm gonna introduce myself here, because I just want to say I'm a guitarist, not a drummer. I don't own a drum set, although I love playing drums as much as guitar.

My buddy is a really good drummer and he has the Pearl Demon Drive single pedal. He is an absolute beast when it comes to heel toe. He taught me how to do it, and with that pedal, it's an absolute breeze.
Quote by Alex Vik
On an semi-related note, my kick pedal broke Stupid cheap pdp shit.

Damn, I've had my PDP double pedal for almost 6 years now, and the only thing that's broken was a spring.
I can do heel-toe with both feet. I'm using pretty much the "standard" DW5002 with the constant velocity cams. And NO LONGBOARDS.

Quote by CreepingDeath13
nah, my pedal isnt long enough.

A bad workman always blames his tools. You don't need a longboard pedal to play heel-toe with. You just need to practice
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Speedingfish
Damn, I've had my PDP double pedal for almost 6 years now, and the only thing that's broken was a spring.

That was what broke. My friend gave me one of the springs off his kick pedal since "he likes mine better anyway", so I'm set for now.

Edit:

Quote by Steve08
Can't see that (got an error 403) and I'm already logged in?

Weird. Try this.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/heeltoe.mp3?w=2a071b5d
Last edited by Alex Vik at Apr 18, 2011,