Well, i've got an interview on tuesday for a job that i can only describe as perfect for me right now. However, i know both of the other applicants that i'm up against on a personal level (same educational institute) and i'm pretty sure i can wipe the floor with both of them. So, should i let my over-confidence play out and see how much wiping i can get done, or be a little more modest since i know these guys?

help me pit.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

little column A, little column B
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Don't mention it if they don't ask. If they do have a question along the lines of why they should choose you, you can say that they are both qualified for the position, that an honest assessment might show you have gained a little more from your studies, but also in this case the interview is really about whose personality will fit the best at the company. Then talk about how you work hard and get along well with other people.

This modestly acknowledges your technical proficiency while showing that you know your own worth. More importantly, it shows that you have respect for the abilities of those around you and that you see the real reason for the interview.
I'm not exactly sure you will find good job interview skills from anyone that frequents this site. You want to be confident and sure of yourself without looking arrogant or displaying a sense that you are better than the interviewer.

I wouldn't think about it too much if you think you are better than the other two applicants just go with the flow and you should have no problems.
confidant and in control but certainly not boastful. that isnt a good attribute for working as part if a team which most jobs entail
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Talk about why you are good for the job. Tell them the skills and personality traits you have that make you good for the job.

Don't try to tell the interviewer that you are better then the other candidates. From personal experience I chose not to hire someone solely because they were full of themselves. I considered them the most qualified but all they could do was tell me how awesome they were.

Just remember to smile be energetic( don't act like your coked up but be excited about the job) and to keep eye contact good lord keep eye contact the last girl I interviewed looked like she was answering my questions to my belly button lol.

Oh yeah another big thing I realized. It sounds like you just got out of school. Realize before you even start the job that you don't know shit. I am not being a dick but the biggest turn off to me is candidates right out of school that think they are hot shit because they just graduated. IMO I don't care if you can do it the text book way. I am paying you to do it MY way. Keep that in mind that your prospective emplover probably knows much more about the practical aspect of the job then you do. They won't easily be dazzled by theoretical examples. These are just my methods in hiring new people though all employers are looking for different qualities.
Last edited by Dangertux at Apr 9, 2011,
well technically im fresh out of an academy that do A+ and N+, City & Guilds and Microsoft stuff, and i'm also in the middle of doing voluntary workshop work for a very similar company to the one im being interviewed at. The other two guys have sat on their arses and drunk alot since we've been out of education i think. Most agencies tell me my CV is pretty impressive. I know i wouldn't stand a chance if anyone more experienced was going against me.

catch 22 really, unless you're willing to work for nothing for a bit.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Good guys finish last. It's the way of the world and time immemorial.

The question is, will you be able to live with yourself or not afterwards. Only true narcissists/sociopaths get ahead and do it by trampling others into the ground... but the DO go far, oh yes they do. Right to the top since the beginning of the Earth. It cannot be faked, either. You are either the antichrist or not there is no inbetween. In every job or vocation the guy at the top has the bloodiest knife.

So, now ask yourself the same question and there-in lies the answer.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

One thing to keep in mind is that you're likely to be asked "Tell us a little about yourself". Weak sides, strong sides etc. Prepare as much as possible.
Don't slag off the other applicants, or anyone else for that matter.

Be clean, freshly showered and shaved, and appropriately (conservatively) dressed. Be polite to everyone - no exceptions.

If you can, get some info on what questions/type of questions will be asked. Is it a competency-based interview? Is it a behavioural interview?

In any, case, answer the questions you are asked. When prompted, talk about yourself, your achievements, what you've learned from your experiences, and talk about these things assertively. Make sure what you talk about is relevant to the role and the skills required.

Don't self-deprecate at all, and don't pipe up with something like "I can handle anything you can throw at me". The professional way of saying that is: "I am capable of adapting to new situations, and I have demonstrated this in the past" or something along those lines.

When you're asked about your weaknesses, talk about something that really is a weakness/something you don't have much experience in, but highlight how you've tried to improve this, and/or how this role would enable you to improve upon it.

If you highlight the best things about yourself in a positive way (don't get too cocky), you won't need to "attack" the other candidates. Any interview panel will frown upon "mopping the floor" with other candidates - your conduct in the interview reflects what you will be like as an employee.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
im not sure on interview type, probably competence based since its for a technical role

http://www.reed.co.uk/job-details/Letchworth-Garden-City/PC-Repair-Upgrade-Technician/?JobID=20026026&pg=1&k=pc+upgrade%2frepair+technician&nr=200&ns=True&ps=100&

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

i've spoken on the phone with the recruiter from the agency, and he says we have done wel to be the last three standing out of 18 applicants, so we must be looking pretty attractive to them already.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
What you need is a new amp

nah new Celestions in my cab pl0x.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
im not sure on interview type, probably competence based since its for a technical role

http://www.reed.co.uk/job-details/Letchworth-Garden-City/PC-Repair-Upgrade-Technician/?JobID=20026026&pg=1&k=pc+upgrade%2frepair+technician&nr=200&ns=True&ps=100&

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

i've spoken on the phone with the recruiter from the agency, and he says we have done wel to be the last three standing out of 18 applicants, so we must be looking pretty attractive to them already.

Make sure you actually can do the things they're asking for! If you've got some samples of your work relevant to the job, perhaps you could ask them if they'd like to see those samples?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Doobergn
I'm not exactly sure you will find good job interview skills from anyone that frequents this site. You want to be confident and sure of yourself without looking arrogant or displaying a sense that you are better than the interviewer.

I wouldn't think about it too much if you think you are better than the other two applicants just go with the flow and you should have no problems.

+1000
Not totally on the first sentence though.

Be relaxed, but not to relaxed.
If they ask about the other applicants and something relating to you knowing them, don't make them look bad. But don't make them look better than you. Obviously.

Just be relaxed and confident that you are the best person for the job.
They want you to be able to make them more profitable, be it by stacking pencils or designing networks.

And bring them a potted plant (jk).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 10, 2011,
Every time the interviewer asks you a question, punch them in the face and scream 'I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE!'
I guarantee, you will come off as such a boss, you will be hired to replace the current CEO.

EDIT: Also, smoking a cuban cigar might also help.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Close them down at the end of the interview - ask if they have any doubts as to your ability to do the job and address them if you do. Then ask if you've got a second interview/the job.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
be confident but not cocky. There's no reason to be modest, but make sure you don't come across as a dick at the same time. It's a fine line of showing off a bit, but not being an arrogant arsehole.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
make sure you stick out. suit, tie, looking sharp, good posture, be charming, be lovable. then ask if there's a female there, if she wants oral.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Also something to consider, the secretary or whoever you announce your arrival to, might be a part of the interview, as a way to see how you act to people that are "beneath" you.
well whatever i did i didn't do it well enough.

"You interviewed very well but on this occasion you were not successful"

hooray.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
well whatever i did i didn't do it well enough.

"You interviewed very well but on this occasion you were not successful"

hooray.

Ouch town.