Page 1 of 7
Why are some hobbies universally frowned upon by people who do not engage in them?

"Oh, you play an instrument, that's so cool"
"Oh, you collect comic books, that's so nerdy and lame and you should get a life"

The comic book fan might lead a happy life and attend many conventions where they meet like-minded fans and make friends.
The musician might spend 15 hours a day alone in their bedroom, obsessively practicing their instrument, burdened by self-hatred and the pressure to improve.
People always jump to stereotypes when you tell them about your hobby, which may or may not be true.

Do you have any hobbies and interests that you feel are disapproved of or misunderstood, for whatever reason?

"Masturbation" goes without saying. After all, that's what all of The Pit is dedicated to.
Video games that aren't sports games or bro shooters.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Some people see it as antisocial to spend all day playing computer games, I guess.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
I don't necessarily collect but I read comic books, but my bigger hobby is writing. I don't think it's necessarily socially frowned upon, but people think musicians are alot cooler than writers.

Also that whole serial killing thing, I just don't get why my family can't accept me for who I am.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by mattman93
Video games that aren't sports games or bro shooters.

I play videogames, the stigma for videogames is going away. Many gamers exagerate the stigma worse than it is.
Quote by tayroar
I play videogames, the stigma for videogames is going away. Many gamers exagerate the stigma worse than it is.

There's a difference in which games though. A lot of guys will happily chat to you about Call of Duty (or as mattman put it, "bro shooters"), but will look at you like you're from another planet if you tell them you play World of Warcraft.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Pedophilia.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I collect mouse whiskers.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

strangling crows
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Love dolls
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
Bodybuilding. Most people dont understand the real commitment behind it all and tell you it's annoying when your in the gym 4 hours a day and bring your own food out to a restaurant.
Erotic taxidermy.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by Kilobyte
There's a difference in which games though. A lot of guys will happily chat to you about Call of Duty (or as mattman put it, "bro shooters"), but will look at you like you're from another planet if you tell them you play World of Warcraft.

Eh, I play rpg's like Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fall Out and I get more shit from gamers than the average person, a lot of gamers raise there nose at me and say I play casual games. It's generally gamers who care about the stigmas.
Quote by UntilISleep
MMORPGs generally.

this. i gave up runescape just because of the amount of judgement my way.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by sashki

The musician might spend 15 hours a day alone in their bedroom, obsessively practicing their instrument, burdened by self-hatred and the pressure to improve.

Dude, you are so ****in' right about this.

I am soooo fukin drunk off my ass and now Is ee the trtuth.
Words of wisdom iz what you have.

dqiöbcwqcivzöäiöchvrbcivzä3chiv, yeah!
playing in the school jazz band, and being the only bass player there, with a cheap ass guitar....
Quote by tayroar
Eh, I play rpg's like Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fall Out and I get more shit from gamers than the average person, a lot of gamers raise there nose at me and say I play casual games. It's generally gamers who care about the stigmas.

Only vanilla Oblivion is casual.

-Depends on who you ask. Some people put up their noses when I say I play metal. I really couldn't give less of a fuck though.
watching anime.

People immediately assume you have some fucked up fetish, or you're slightly mentally retarded.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by laid-to-waste
this. i gave up runescape just because of the amount of judgement my way.

Can I has your account?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by G.Krizzel
Dude, you are so ****in' right about this.

I am soooo fukin drunk off my ass and now Is ee the trtuth.
Words of wisdom iz what you have.

dqiöbcwqcivzöäiöchvrbcivzä3chiv, yeah!

am i the only one that can still spell when drunk?

Quote by fearofthemark

Can I has your account?

no. 99 fletcher to somebody that just asks nicely? HA!

(i sold it. sorry)
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Apr 9, 2011,
But you don't even play anymore!

I won't change your password or anything!

Edit: oh okay.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Last edited by fearofthemark at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste

I made a drunk thread once. I found it later on and the spelling was abysmal. I think it was because I was typing with excessive force and my eyes closed.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by laid-to-waste

i think the same way when i see that lol
Anime. although, I think that's a stigma that exists in my mind, and nowhere outside of it.

Quote by pbiggie
watching anime. People immediately assume you have some ****ed up fetish, or you're slightly mentally retarded.

looks like the stigma exists outside my mind.
Last edited by AvengedFoghat at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by pbiggie
watching anime.

People immediately assume you have some fucked up fetish, or you're slightly mentally retarded.

I just get annoyed when someone says they read comics and halfway through I find out they're talking about Manga. I also think it's the fans that ruin Manga and Anime, like it has a fanbase that's willing to devote themselves entirely to that genre, it just gets old. Like someone was telling me about their Waifu, which I figured out means the fictional character they'd like to be married to, that's just borderline creepy.
Quote by laid-to-waste

Nah, I'm pretty good at it.
ITT TS collects comics, was made fun of, and now feels insulted.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Nah, I'm pretty good at it.
Apparently me too, maybe even better than while sober. Proof: just now I spelt everything perfectly, and while sober I have to proof read to make sure I didn't make any typos.
Last edited by jimmyled at Apr 9, 2011,
World of Warcraft. I play every day and am part of a weekly raiding team. I have two max level characters. However it is just a game, and I don't understand why I should be embarassed about playing, and why I am any different to someone who has prestiged 6 times on CoD or whatever. I enjoy it, so I play it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Serial killing doesn't go over too well at parties.

What kind of people do you associate with at parties? I always tell everyone straight up I'm a wanted serial killer, with a warrant out for my arrest in 40 of the 50 states.. And they just laugh and then we continue the conversation.

Whoever you talk to, they sound like stuck up pricks.
Quote by sashki
"Oh, you play an instrument, that's so cool"

i don't know if it really works like that.

seems like people think it's kinda cool but don't really respect it very much. i know a lot of people who judge musicians, especially guitarists, to be lazy bastards who just sit around smoking weed and having one night stands... but they are cool because they play guitar. people are wierd.

anyway, socially unacceptable hobbies... dogging?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by G.Krizzel
So, yeah, anyways.

My socially unacceptable hooby is:
...using the serachbar!

and, posting random GIFs

hahahahahaahahaahaahahaha, oh my god guys, he mentioned the fact that UG has a search function. Oh jesus, I seriously can not stop laughing. Knee slapper this one is.
Masturbating furiously whilst watching Songs of Praise.

Also - model railways (that's my serious one). I've only told 2 people about it. One hated me for it, the other promised to keep my secret -__-