Is there any specific tecniques you need to use while bolting on a neck? I took mine off for some modding and when I reattached it there was a gap under the heel, angling the neck down and making it unplayable. Keep in mind that I dont have any clamps to use to keep the neck perfectly flush while screwing it in.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Sit the guitar in an upright position, with the neck straight up (you might need someone to help you hold it, or you can hold it between your legs if you have to), and put the screws in. Don't tighten them all the way, just get the neck in the right position first.
When you tighten them, start with the top left or right screw. You should tighten them in an X pattern to spread the pressure equally, and it helps the neck sit properly. So go in this order;
Top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right.
As well as what littlephil said, make sure that you put the screws back in the same hole as they were before. It could also effect the fit of the neck if they are put into different holes b/c of slightly different threading.
Quote by RoyalT_996
As well as what littlephil said, make sure that you put the screws back in the same hole as they were before. It could also effect the fit of the neck if they are put into different holes b/c of slightly different threading.

this could have been it, i didn't keep track of them the first time. if I encounter resistance to the screws, is this a sign to stop, or just that they are the "wrong" screws and it is creating new threading and thus creating a good hold?
If your getting a large amount of resistance stop! Depending on the model you have the upper and bottom screws can be different lengths. The holes are pre-drilled before being threaded by the screws so if your trying to screw one in thats too long you could end up spitting the heal.
Was there a wedge or a small piece of wood between the neck and the body when you took the neck off? It needs to be put back to get the correct action in the neck.
Here's how I put a neck on a solid body guitar. I hope it helps.
Tighten the neck screws with the guitar face down on a padded table so you can push the two parts together without clamps or fighting gravity. Hang the headstock off the end to get the neck to lay flat.
Put the two middle guitar strings on snugly before final neck bolt tightening. Use them as guides for adjusting and centering the neck's alignment of the strings and bridge. Move the neck so that the strings are equally spaced on the sides of the fret marker dots, tighten the neck.
If secrewholes are stripped, a small sliver of toothpick or bamboo skewer in the hole will give the screws a better bight.
To determine wedge angle on a new guitar, I put a piece of masking tape on the side of the neck at the heel where the screws are. adjust tailpiece down to close to bottom, screw neck in, mark a line on the tape where the body is. With those two middle strings tight enough to be straight, rocl the neck on the front screws untill the string spacing at the 12th fret is to your liking, 1/16" is a start. Mark the tape at the body line. The angle on the tape is the general angle of the wedge. A solid wedge is better for sustain and the guitar's tone than just a block of wood at the heel leaving a space under the neck between the screws.
Good luck
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Apr 9, 2011,
thanks guitbuilder, that was some great advice. the guitar is about 4 months old, so the neck came off pefectly clean originally without any chunks or tears. The fit was snug so there was no lateral movement and no need for your 2-string trick. The original problem wasnt that the neck needed a wedge, but that I had created a sort of artificial wedge where the back of the heel was not in full contact with the body, making a downward slope.

thankfully I used UGs advice and now its all sorted! turns out I needed a second pair of hands to hold the neck while I screwed.