Page 1 of 2
Tommorow I am going to jam with my friend who is a drummer and this bass player he knows, so he said that he is very good but he listens to stuff like blues and jazz and he is kind of arrogant.

I want to make a good impression so that he will join mah band, got any tips on how to impress a jazz bassist?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Learn some sick SRV licks
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Play on the B and E strings.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Show him your.... "talent".

It's a euphemism for penis.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Guitarist? Trying to impress a BASSIST?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Tell him the strings and frets are notes.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Tommorow I am going to jam with my friend who is a drummer and this bass player he knows, so he said that he is very good but he listens to stuff like blues and jazz and he is kind of arrogant.

I want to make a good impression so that he will join mah band, got any tips on how to impress a jazz bassist?

You've impressed me enough already sweetcheeks.
pinga
Quote by shredibanez24
Learn some sick SRV licks

But he isn't a jazz player.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
But he isn't a jazz player.

Hang on. Wait.

*Re-reads original post*

Huh?
As a jazz bass player/heavy metal guitarist myself, the one thing that impresses me more than super sweeps at 294 bpm in 7/16 is the actually KNOWING what you're playing and why those notes sound good in chord.

TL;DR (For god sakes I hope you didn't actually skip it. It's just one run on sentence!) Music Theory.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by JacobTheMe
Hang on. Wait.

*Re-reads original post*

Huh?

I meant SRV isn't a jazz player, the bass player does play some blues but he is mostly jazz.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
play a repetetive samba/ bossa nova rhythm and let him solo

seriously, its so repetetive but jamming samba sounds so nice
Don't be shit.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Be efficient and make good use of rehearsal time. Be clear and concise and know what the hell is coming out of your mouth. The most frustrating thing is when some band "leader" asks you to play with them and he's just fumbling around, wasting time, not ready, disorganized, etc.

I prefer to have sheet music ready to go for me if I'm playing music that I'm not familiar. It saves a lot of time and frustration than someone going "ok now play this note...and this goes llike duh duh duh duh." That's just my personal preference and maybe you can explain verbally if you can be clear and concise, and maybe the guy can't read music, but I've just had terrible experiences with the last guy who waste the entire time showing me how to play simple things just because he's not familiar enough with his own music.

So just be casual but professional, and you can let him know right away that you don't know much about jazz or whatever but if he sees that you can get things done quickly, I don't see why he won't join.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Learn some Jaco and Wooten

he will suck your dick
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Explain that guitarists are inherently superior to bassists, and therefore he should respect you.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Show up with an 8-string guitar and be all like, "Oh.. Sorry, forgot you said a bass player was coming, too" then proceed to play the exact same thing he's playing on the low strings.

Problem, bassists?
Bring your black and decker power tool set. Preferably an electric screwdriver, or maybe a hand-sander. Bassists are always useful when you're putting up shelves.
Kill yourself. No seriously, it would make me like you a lot better. I see no reason the bassist wouldn't appreciate it also.

OT: Don't be a dick.
Quote by Ace88
Forgive me, O bastion of ear tuning. My stringeth be old, my tuning be quick; hopefully one day your string will snap you in the dick.
to catch a bassist you must think what makes a good bassist BE THE BASSISTS

no seriously thou just try your best and learn a few songs this bassist might like
Play a subV7(#5)(b9) and you're in.

Alternately, just do strings of ii V I progressions.

Or you could learn this head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRsMzCnQNpo) and then rip off a nasty solo.

And if you aren't willing to learn any jazz, just play really rhythmically and be very tasteful and particular with your note choice.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 9, 2011,
Ummm honestly just be on the level with him. If you aren't as good as he is just show him what you CAN do well. Don't try to play beyond your ability you'll just look silly. Truthfully not to sound like a douche I wouldnt want to join a band f I showed up to rehearsal and everyone started slobbin on my knob. (well actually I might lol). Just be real if he is truly amazing he will know he didn't get like that overnight and he'll know that not everyone is of an equal level of experience. Then again I am not a bassist so I dot know what they think about stuff like this.

On a side note you could always give him some warm fresh kolaches everyone likes those lol.
ask him to play the seinfeld song.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by voteforpedro36
Kill yourself. No seriously, it would make me like you a lot better. I see no reason the bassist wouldn't appreciate it also.

This was a violent post.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

So after thinking harder about this topic I did some research. You might want to look at "the things bassists hate" thread on the bass forum If my calculations are correct buy him a couple sets of strings, don't attempt to play his bass, eq your stuff properly , and generally grovel before him as apparently being a bassist is more rare then being a california redwood. If you do all these things in conjunction to not telling him to turn up or down you should be good. Also tell your drummer to stay in time.

This is just a compilation of the median things that bassists hate as gathered from this forum. :-P
Quote by voteforpedro36

man this is awesome, not only are you a dick you then proceed to tell him to not be a dick.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Jiggle your keys in front of his face, he'll love it.

Finish up with "got your nose" and you're in, dude!
take his bass and outplay him, bassists love that. also, tell him that it's okay for him to turn up loud enough to almost be heard, but only this time. if neither of those work, just steal all his gear, and then all his bass will belong to you!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by voteforpedro36

Why did you post this?
Page 1 of 2