Poll: Do social networking sites make you feel:
Poll Options
View poll results: Do social networking sites make you feel:
More connected to your friends
45 58%
More alienated
33 42%
Voters: 78.
Apologies if something like this has been posted before, but i couldnt find anything

I just read an article about how social networking sites make us feel like we are missing out on some event when we see status updates, photos, etc. I was wondering how the pit feels about this; when you use facebook/twitter/whatever, do you feel

A. more connected to your friends (maybe because you feel like you know whats going on in their life) or
B. more alienated from them (possibly because you weren't a part of what they were doing)

here's the article for anyone interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/business/10ping.html

personally i feel more alienated from my friends
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Last edited by bellamy_morello at Apr 9, 2011,
Little bit of both, but I feel a bit more connected when I comment on their statuses and etc..
more connected, especially now that we all live different places, you still see whats going on in their life, which is awesome.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I feel connected with friends when we hang out & talk IRL. I feel alienated when I hear about their lives online through pics & status updates. 'Cuz it's not like their showing the pics & status updates to me personally. They're just throwing it out there for everyone. And if they're anything like me, they haven't seen or talked to the vast majority of their Facebook friends since high school. So no, I don't feel like I'm making any connection with them on Facebook.
Alienated I guess. I really don't hangout much with my friends who are frequently on Facebook all the time.

I've taken a break from facebook, though. Really, I only have two good solid friends and they both barely use facebook, plus, nothing against facebook itself, but I tend to get either depressed, sad or sometimes angry when I see how people are on Facebook. Half my friends are stupid and wasting their lives away. And I also get annoyed because there are a couple of people who never leave me alone on facebook and need to comment and "like" every single thing I do.
I could see that if I actually talked to any of my IRL friends on Facebook frequently.
All of this online stuff makes me feel like shit, I'm not a fan at all. Especially since I'm having so much trouble socially in college, being bombarded by photos of other people having a great time with their friends just makes me feel like a pathetic loser. Garbage I say!
I have 130 friends on Facebook, yet never have any social interaction with any of them except for my old friends and a girl who always messes with me because she feels it's her duty to keep me from committing suicide or something.

So more alienated. I guess.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
I usually feel a little disgruntled after being on Facebook for any extended amount of time, so a bit more alienated I think.
I haven't felt connected to my friends in a loooooong time. Friends from back home, I mean.

Generally, social networks (Facebook) just remind me how different my life is from theirs.
My God, it's full of stars!
I feel more alienated because I realized that people would rather comment on my facebook status than speak to me in person.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by rock.freak667
I feel more alienated because I realized that people would rather comment on my facebook status than speak to me in person.

I definitely see that a lot. It's fairly silly. Oh well...
I think on the whole for me I'm more connected. I have enough of a life that I could get along without facebook and still enjoy my friends' company. But it's a nice thing to just check up with when there's nothing else to do.
I find that nowadays i rarely use facebook, I didn't really feel "connected" when i used it anyways. I use IM and SMS much more then facebook.
I leik music
Neither, really. All I use facebook for is to chat with one or two people. I pretty much ignore status updates and events.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I don't use Facebook or any other social networking sites.

Quote by The Madcap
nothing against facebook itself, but I tend to get either depressed, sad or sometimes angry when I see how people are on Facebook. Half my friends are stupid and wasting their lives away.

But everybody else I know does, so I guess this would make me feel more alienated.
I usually feel more alienated because I see what everyone else is doing while I sit and do nothing.

Feels bad, man.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
I used to feel connected.
But now I hardly do, and well I deleted 75% of my friends on fb anyways. (Cuz i got up to 400 friends and i hardly spoke to any of them)
So now I'm keeping it simple
But still feeling alienated
Quote by Mechanixx
more connected, especially now that we all live different places, you still see whats going on in their life, which is awesome.

+1 so I don't have to re-write it.

undeniably helps with friends who still live near me, only way i have of contacting a lot of people. and it's easy to find new people you meet, the day after. >.>
Last edited by Miniskirt at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by RipeFlesh
I usually feel more alienated because I see what everyone else is doing while I sit and do nothing.

Feels bad, man.

Pretty much this.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
well I deleted 75% of my friends on fb anyways.So now I'm keeping it simple

That's been my attitude. I only add people if I know them or there's some other legitimate reason for adding them.

After reading this thread, I got the urge to go play guitar...
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.