Agree
96 46%
Disagree
38 18%
Strongly disagree
34 16%
Voters: 208.
Page 1 of 6
Rise Against lyrics, currently my Facebook status.

Agree or disagree?

I personally agree, pretty strongly.

Of course you can also take it out of the specific context of a physical fight.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by MH400
Agree, on the basis that its Rise Against.

Exact words I was going to say.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Strongly agree.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
I am a strong believer in people needing to have the shit kicked out of them a few times in their developing stages so they don't grow up to be ****tards.

Not by like, adults, though.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
I am a strong believer in people needing to have the shit kicked out of them a few times in their developing stages so they don't grow up to be ****tards.

Not by like, adults, though.

This.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Disagree strongly, with every way that that statement can be taken.

Well that's pretty vehement. Care to explain?
Quote by Dreadnought
Well that's pretty vehement. Care to explain?

Because it's ridiculous. I'm not sure why anyone has to have the shit kicked out of them, or smoke anything (depending on how you take that statement) to "know their worth" at all.

It's really kind of baseless. I've never smoked or had the shit kicked out of me, and I like to think I know my worth.
I'll agree, on the condition that the "hit" can be metaphorical and not always mean a physical beatdown.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Disagree on the basis that it's Rise Against.

Agree on the basis that this post's disagreement is based on it's Rise Against
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by guitarsftw
I'll agree, on the condition that the "hit" can be metaphorical and not always mean a physical beatdown.

Though if we're talking about emotional/psychological "hits" I do agree somewhat.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Because it's ridiculous. I'm not sure why anyone has to have the shit kicked out of them, or smoke anything (depending on how you take that statement) to "know their worth" at all.

It's really kind of baseless. I've never smoked or had the shit kicked out of me, and I like to think I know my worth.

But do you know your "worth", your character, your virtue, when you're down and out? If you haven't metaphorically "taken a hit", then you won't.

That's the purpose of the quote, in my opinion.
By 'hit', I totally thought it meant like, giant-ass bong rip... Then I realized it meant physical injury.

Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Karlboy
By 'hit', I totally thought it meant like, giant-ass bong rip... Then I realized it meant physical injury.

That's what I thought too, and I probably would have agreed with that as well.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Dreadnought
But do you know your "worth", your character, your virtue, when you're down and out? If you haven't metaphorically "taken a hit", then you won't.

That's the purpose of the quote, in my opinion.

I do know those things. I wasn't thinking of emotional/psychological hits when I typed that, if we're talking about things like that I agree, but I think physical violence proves absolutely nothing and leads to absolutely nothing, and I honestly think the same thing about smoking.

But emotional/psychological "hits" and "injuries", I agree with.
Quote by crazy8rgood
I do know those things. I wasn't thinking of emotional/psychological hits when I typed that, if we're talking about things like that I agree, but I think physical violence proves absolutely nothing and leads to absolutely nothing, and I honestly think the same thing about smoking.

But emotional/psychological "hits" and "injuries", I agree with.

Dumb. I actually have a hard time thinking of a time in my life when violence DIDN'T lead to something. And when used appropriately, it can be very helpful/useful. Of course like anything else it shouldn't be abused.

Don't be so closed minded.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
^^ Well, I guess I should say that it doesn't lead to anything that couldn't also be reached via non-violent methods.

@ LtDanHasLegs
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Apr 9, 2011,
I neither agree nor disagree as I cannot decypher the intended meaning. me and ambiguity don't mix.
Quote by Dreadnought
Rise Against lyrics, currently my Facebook status.

Agree or disagree?

I personally agree, pretty strongly.

Of course you can also take it out of the specific context of a physical fight.

If doing this, then agree. If we're talking about it being a physical fight then no i disagree strongly because there is no value in physical fighting of any kind and there never has been.

edit: as far as emotional growth and such , then taking a hit is important. It's learning the game, if you don't feel pain you don't really appreciate the good stuff for instance and human beings have an endless capacity to take things for granted.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Apr 9, 2011,
Quote by crazy8rgood
^^ Well, I guess I should say that it doesn't lead to anything that couldn't also be reached via non-violent methods.

@ LtDanHasLegs

That's not true. Just like emotional hardships lead to certain truths, as do physical hardships lead to certain truths regrading the knowledge of your own self.

If you ask the well-rounded man, he will tell you that both are necessary to truly know yourself and your character.

I can understand the desire to avoid physical confrontation or calamity, but that doesn't negate the inherent growth and understanding possible in such situations.
Quote by Dreadnought
That's not true. Just like emotional hardships lead to certain truths, as do physical hardships lead to certain truths regrading the knowledge of your own self.

If you ask the well-rounded man, he will tell you that both are necessary to truly know yourself and your character.

I can understand the desire to avoid physical confrontation or calamity, but that doesn't negate the inherent growth and understanding possible in such situations.

I understand that if I get the shit kicked out of me, I will be injured.

I don't understand what else such things could possibly reveal to you at all.
I picked disagree before I realized that hit is likely metaphorical. In which case, I can agree, sure
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by crazy8rgood
I understand that if I get the shit kicked out of me, I will be injured.

I don't understand what else such things could possibly reveal to you at all.

Eh well, maybe with time you will. Maybe you won't. You're still young.
Quote by Dreadnought
Eh well, maybe with time you will. Maybe you won't. You're still young.

Care to explain at all?
Nah, Im pretty sure I can go without being hit, thank you

Now pushing myself physically NOT related to fighting and violence, but rather exercise and the gym etc, that I can agree with
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by crazy8rgood
Care to explain at all?

Maybe with time you will come to understand the growth possible from physical confrontation/calamity and or maybe with time you won't.
Quote by Dreadnought
Maybe with time you will come to understand the growth possible from physical confrontation/calamity and or maybe with time you won't.

No, I understood that, I mean explain the possible growth.
Quote by Dreadnought

The words of a man with no good argument.

Answer the guy, what value is there is being physically beaten up for instance?