Now, I know that generally, seven strings have an added string tuned to B under the "low E" string which would be the lowest on a six string guitar, but that added range in the lows doesn't really appeal to me. Now, I'm sure this has been attempted before, or at least thought of or asked about, by someone here but searching here and google didn't turn up too much...

So, I'd like to know: is it possible to tune a seven-string EADGBea and have it be more or less playable? I mean, if I strung it up with a standard .011 set for the bottom six strings, and then got a really thin guage string (like, a .007, maybe) could I tune to pitch without worrying about intonation problems, string breakage, etc?

I really want to buy one of those cheap Douglas seven strings from Rondomusic
and try this out, but if any of you have any insight on this subject, it would be great to learn a little before making the leap and buying a seven string.

Here's this guitar I've been thinking about btw (or something like this):

http://www.rondomusic.com/scope725bk.html

I'm also curious to see if any of you have possibly gone beyond that and tuned to even higher pitches beyond A4. Maybe you have an 8 string tuned to EADGBead (I know Gary Goodman makes EXTREMELY thin gauge strings as low as .002 upon request, but they're expensive so I hear). I mainly want to have these higher notes for tapping, so ability to bend on this guitar isn't that essential for me.

I've also looked in to using Bumblefoot's thimble tapping technique, but I'm not really digging the timbre compared to using your fingers on actual frets.
Last edited by The_Toki at Apr 10, 2011,
Ugh... I can't read that.
Paragraphs, man! Paragraphs!

I can only assume you're asking about putting a high A string on a 7 string guitar.
I don't see why you wouldn't do it. It's not hard to do, you just have to buy a .006 string and put it on.
I'd get a 25.5" 7 string though. It'll be easier on the string.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Ugh... I can't read that.
Paragraphs, man! Paragraphs!

I can only assume you're asking about putting a high A string on a 7 string guitar.
I don't see why you wouldn't do it. It's not hard to do, you just have to buy a .006 string and put it on.
I'd get a 25.5" 7 string though. It'll be easier on the string.

Yeah, I was planning on buying a 25.5 scale 7 string. It's my preferred scale length.

Don't know of any big name string manufacturer that makes a .006 string though. Lowest I've heard of is the .007 by D'addario, and I don't want to dish out like, $6 per-string from Gary Goodman and wait weeks and weeks for it to ship.

Quote by malmsteensolo
or you could sell your seven string and buy a standard six string guitar..

Um... but I don't have a seven string?
kinda common i believe. just toss an 8 on it, should be fine.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Its possible but the high A will break a lot easier than the other strings. Really I wouldn't use anything longer than a 25.5" scale with a high A, because there will just be too much tension on the string.
You could do it with a .007

Honestly if you want those high notes just for tapping, I'd get a 6 string with 27+ frets. Maybe the new 30 fret Ibanez RG2011?
Quote by littlephil
Its possible but the high A will break a lot easier than the other strings. Really I wouldn't use anything longer than a 25.5" scale with a high A, because there will just be too much tension on the string.
You could do it with a .007

Honestly if you want those high notes just for tapping, I'd get a 6 string with 27+ frets. Maybe the new 30 fret Ibanez RG2011?

Well

a) I don't want to spend too much, and I doubt I could get a 24+ fret guitar for under $200 like I can with the Douglas.

and

b) After the 25th fret or so, the notes get just too tiny to be functional in my opinion and the sound is just too thin and brittle sounding. With the high a string, I'd have the ability to sound high notes out without having really really tiny frets that I can only fret with my pinky and sustain for less than .01 seconds.
if your gonna use a standard pack of .011s, you could probably get away with using a .008 for the high a string. It will probably break alot though

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
Just get a 7 string, and put an extra thin string where you want the a. Simple enough?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by Nimbus456
Just get a 7 string, and put an extra thin string where you want the a. Simple enough?

lolwut
Well I know its not the same, but I tune my seven string like a normal six string baritone with a high e on the top. So its BEADF#BE. It works nicely that way, with no special strings or anything, and its easy to convert back to normal seven string tuning, just change one string.
Quote by ^-^
Well I know its not the same, but I tune my seven string like a normal six string baritone with a high e on the top. So its BEADF#BE. It works nicely that way, with no special strings or anything, and its easy to convert back to normal seven string tuning, just change one string.

i know what you meant, but TS wants to extend his range higher.
if you tune your 7 to B standard (BEADF#Be), it still only has a high E, just like a 6 string.
when i first got my 7 i tuned it to B standard for some really low jazz chords.

to TS, im thinking about buying an 8 string (i know your thining about a 7, not 8) from agile as well.
i would experiment between the 2 low strings (F#BEADGBe), and 1 low and 1 higher string (BEADGBea).
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I've achieved a high A on my RG2228. That's a 27" scale with a D'Addario .007 string. It lasted well and I could bend it a half step, and it only snapped because I forgot to undo the locking nut when I tuned it up, wondering why it wasn't tuning up. Here's a test I've done: http://soundcloud.com/dane-w/higha-test

I've done high G with an .008 with a solid half-step bend, though I wasn't game enough to bend it higher. It lasted weeks before I got bored of it. The life of my string probably comes from the bridge my guitar has. You cut the ball end off and put it in the clamp and it sits over a smooth saddle, over the smooth locking nut and directly into the tuner. Of the few strings I've broken, they've always done so at the tuner, which could be remedied somehow (maybe a Steinberger tuner that doesn't require winding?)
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221