ok so questio about what pickups you guys would pun into a gibson explorer, as i am going to get one later on this year and mod it a bit.

of the mods i am planning on putting new pickups in along with coil splitting on the 2 volume knobs. i also want to add locking tuners but thats irrelevant.

but anyways, im looking for a good bridge pickup thats mid to high output, wont get muddy under high gain, but at the same time, have a really thick and heavy sound while still maintianing its articulation. like something thats good for really ballsy /heavy riffs that need every note to be individual and precise.

for the neck pickup, im looking for something better suited for clean tones over solo tones, but again it has to be able to handle gain without getting muddy.but if it matters, the clean tone is more important.

so what do you guys think? im open to any brand and my budget is like 150$ CAD max per pickup. both pickups have to have 4 conductor wiring and chrome pickup coverings. but other than that i am open to different brands and all. i would like to stay away from actives, even though my biggest influences use actives.

btw some of the music i play is very similar to metallica, BFMV, trivium and, black tide.
With those influences, are you sure you need high output pickups?

I mean, I know those artists use them, but they aren't necessary.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
DiMarzio Crunch Lab (bridge) and LiquiFire (neck).

Best pick-ups I've ever owned. I plan to place them in every single guitar I own.

They're so good. Seriously. So good.
I'd wait till I actually had the guitar and knew what kind of sound it made.

To do otherwise is just pointless, you can't think about changing something until you know what it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bubb_tubbs
With those influences, are you sure you need high output pickups?

I mean, I know those artists use them, but they aren't necessary.

well what do you mean by that? currently my 2 main guitars are a gibson v with emgs and a stock MiM tele. the tele im pretty sure has lower output pikxups and handles high gain fairly well but also it doesnt put out as distorted sound as the emgs do on the same settings.

and u have played this guitar through several tube amps before including a 6505+ head, a valveking head and a marshall DSL head and i always find it to be a bit too muddy for what i need
Well, the Tele has quite a bit different and lower output pickups than a stock Explorer.

The stock Explorer pickups are great, as with most Gibsons. I would play with the stock pickups and try adjusting your amp settings to suit the pickups over dropping $200+ on a new set of "High Gain" pickups.

As for being too muddy, try adjusting the settings on the amp before trying new pickups. Ie: Low mids, lower the bass and up the treble slightly. Presence may also need to be upped if it is still too muddy.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by Wylde_Life
The stock Explorer pickups are great, as with most Gibsons. I would play with the stock pickups and try adjusting your amp settings to suit the pickups over dropping $200+ on a new set of "High Gain" pickups.

i actually find the opposite the only set of gibson pickups ive played before that i really liked were the 498t/ 490r combo. (the one in most LPs)'

and i know its not the amp settings i was using because i always double checked it with an EMG equipped guitar and it sounds fine. to me, i shouldnt need to make changes to my amp settings between guitars becasue in a live situation, id have 3 guitars and 1 amp :l

and i like the way my tele pickups handle gain and alll and they probably alot lower output than the gibson 500t or emgs. the only thing i got against them is that the low end with that guitar is almost to tight and not boomy enough.
Quote by Seanthesheep
and i know its not the amp settings i was using because i always double checked it with an EMG equipped guitar and it sounds fine. to me, i shouldnt need to make changes to my amp settings between guitars becasue in a live situation, id have 3 guitars and 1 amp :l

Well, different pickups are going to produce different tonal sounds. So if you cant adjust a few settings when switching guitars on stage, then you might as well use identical pickups as your Flying V.
im not looking for the exact same sound, but something where i wouldnt need to tweak the amp slightly to get a similar sound. like if i want to get a similar sound with my tele and my V i have to hit the gain up slightly and put a bit more bass/low end.

anyways, lets start over then. if you were changing pickups in an explorer for high gain uses, what would you use?

bridge-rhythym tone
neck- clean tone

thats what important and looking for pickups that dont get muddy.
Quote by Seanthesheep
im not looking for the exact same sound, but something where i wouldnt need to tweak the amp slightly to get a similar sound. like if i want to get a similar sound with my tele and my V i have to hit the gain up slightly and put a bit more bass/low end.

anyways, lets start over then. if you were changing pickups in an explorer for high gain uses, what would you use?

bridge-rhythym tone
neck- clean tone

thats what important and looking for pickups that dont get muddy.

Well, muddyness typically comes from the amp settings, at least in the case of higher quality pickups like Gibson's.

But since you are being difficult and are dead set of scrapping the pickups instead of turning a few knobs: SD Blackouts will give you a nice High Gain tone and sound somewhat different than EMG's, but dont expect anything without high gain to sound good, some people like them clean, but personally I think they are garbage clean.

I like the Dimarzio Liquifire at the neck position if you want clean and able to do some screaming leads, as someone above mentioned. But I didn't really care for the Crunch Lab's tone, it handled gain really well, but I like versatile pickups, since I do all kinds of music, and I thought it sounded too "Poppy" (idk if thats the right word), I really like the EVH Frankenstein at the bridge, very versatile.