okay so this is my set up head-cab-cables through effects loop-pedal-cable-guitar. or something like that. Now what im wondering is what kind of cables should i use from my effects loops to my pedal?
im using instrument cables but i read somewhere that using the wrong kind of cables is harmful so i just want to be on the safe side and know if everything is right.
thanks in advance.
instrument. i've never tried speaker cables so i don't know if they'll work.
instrument. one time i tried a speaker cable because i didn't have an instrument cable and it was incredibly noisy. and probably not good for the amp either.
By speaker I assume you mean "Speakon" cables

Yes, using the wrong kind of cables can be very harmful to your amp, your pedals, or anything else really. You want to use instrument cables for your guitar, pedals, and amp. They're made to run on instrument cables.

Speaker cables, or Speakon cables are made for PAs and sound systems. Speakon cables are not sheilded, so even if you did run it through your amp or pedals or whatever, it'd have feedback from hell, and it could probably blow something in the process. I think speakon cables transfer more power also, so using a speakon cable might overjuice your amp
well its a thing about the electrical resistance in ohms. Try to be the closest to what the amp limits is. Mine is 8 ohms. I only use intrument cables and it works fine. For the speaker cables. Ask maybe the guys at futur shop.
Quote by Tracii Lee
By speaker I assume you mean "Speakon" cables

Yes, using the wrong kind of cables can be very harmful to your amp, your pedals, or anything else really. You want to use instrument cables for your guitar, pedals, and amp. They're made to run on instrument cables.

Speaker cables, or Speakon cables are made for PAs and sound systems. Speakon cables are not sheilded, so even if you did run it through your amp or pedals or whatever, it'd have feedback from hell, and it could probably blow something in the process. I think speakon cables transfer more power also, so using a speakon cable might overjuice your amp

does he mean speakon or XLR cables? I've never seen a pedal that takes XLR's....
Quote by hawk5211
does he mean speakon or XLR cables? I've never seen a pedal that takes XLR's....

He said speaker cables so I'm assuming he meant Speakon... I know you can run speakers off of XLRs but most of the time I see people using Speakons. XLRs wouldn't be very good for his amp or pedals either...

I've seen XLR cables that have quarter inch jacks on one or both sides, it'd be pretty easy to plug one into a pedal or amp without even realizing it I suppose
Wow this thread is full of speculation and "YOU'RE GONNA BLOW SHIT UP!" ness. But alas, they speculate correctly, use instrument cables. Speaker cables won't blow anything up though. The only issue with them is that they're not shielded so they will get noise from lights, radio, or nearby speaker cables (that are being driven by amps, of course). Now the only problem you could run into using speaker cables is if you use a speaker cable in the effects loop and get that cable near your speaker cable or the amp's circuitry chances are that you could cause a feedback loop which would be a very nasty thing.
I thought he meant speaker jack cable, the type that's designed to go between head and cab. Either way, you can use instrument cable in the fx loop, just make sure you use a speaker cable to go from head to cab. They are thicker than instrument cables and can handle the load required.
Quote by Tracii Lee
He said speaker cables so I'm assuming he meant Speakon...
a better guess would be to assume he meant speaker cables.example
Quote by Tracii Lee
I've seen XLR cables that have quarter inch jacks on one or both sides, it'd be pretty easy to plug one into a pedal or amp without even realizing it I suppose

an xlr cable with 1/4" jacks is not an xlr cable any more. xlr refers to a type of plug/jack connection. you really cant have an xlr cable without xlr plugs/jacks.

so the correct answer is listen to LeviMan.

EDIT: lets just cover this once and for all.
speakon cable - type of connector on the ends of cables. typically for PAs.
XLR cable - type of connector at the ends of cables. balanced (stereo) signal, often used for microphones.
1/4" cable - type of connector at the ends of cables. can be balanced (stereo) or unbalanced (mono). the type most guitarists are familiar with.

instrument cable - cable used for connecting your instrument to your amplifier (and anything in between. also used in effects loops. shielded and typically unbalanced.
speaker cable - cable used to connect a power amplifier to speakers. usually a higher gauge wire, can be balanced or unbalanced, and is unshielded.

instrument and speaker cables can have different kinds of connectors on the end. the three above are not the only kinds.