Hey guys, over the past few weeks this season i've picked up some gear to upgrade my rig to a higher level than it was. So, from a Squier Telecaster, a Marshall MG, Zoom g2.1u, and an Ibanez Weeping demon wah, i reach ---------------------> *drum roll*

A Peavey Vypyr 120 tube head!
Review: Well, first off all it's insanely heavy
It has a full tube power section and a preamp tube. The distortion is analog and the effects are digital (you already know this, i guess). What really helps is that it made me self-sufficient in effects even as i struggle to save up for individual pedals.
It responds very differently to different pickups and different guitars, quite unlike most modelling amps.
I love the versatility it has, however, modelling amps, no matter how good they are, have the low/creamy/mid gain section as the con. This applies to the Vypyr too. The 120w Vypyr has a pre-amp tube in it, which makes quite a difference (i've played the SS Vypyrs). So i'm pretty happy with the low/mid gain bit, which sound pretty swet when there's a real OD pedal put in front.

When people like to play metal on a budget, everyone on UG recommends the Peavey 6505 combo 112, but in my opinion, and according to my tastes, that the Vypyr tube is more versatile than the 6505 combo considering all the high gain amp models it has, which give a massve variety just for metal, not to mention the low and mid gain models. Though, it obviously can't beat the 6505 combo at what it's good at.

Also, it has 3 kinds of boosts that affect the amp models in different ways, giving me quite a tonal palette. One boost is a creamy mid-centric tubescreamer to tighten, smoothen things up, another is a pretty crunchy rough boost, and the last is a boost that accentuates the upper mids and treble, perfect to cutting through the mix in a solo and for adding harmonic overtone to my sound.
Cranked up, it sounds more organic than any digital modelling amp i've heard
Best Part: I live in India and it cost me $375 (new) on eBay, with free shipping ,while the Musician's Friend price is $545~
Thanks to MatrixClaw for recommending it!

Laney GS412IA cabinet
Review: It's a sturdy cab. It has four Celestion 70 Eighty. Nice vintage-y mid range. Doesn't emphasize the lows as much as i'd like, but i was on a budget, so couldn't make much of a choice. But i'm happy.

theSYLE Velcro fuzz
Review: The most versatile fuzz pedal i've ever tried. Gives the Fuzz Factory quite a beating on the extreme sound front. boutique build quality.
I can get old 60s starved tones, crazy oscillation, massive gain, loads of feedback, glitchy sounds, 8bit tones, octave(s) up/down, thick synthy sounds. Sounds great even on my modelling amp!
The only bad thing is that the manufacturer has packed up, making the lifetime warranty on this pedal null and void. It remains to be seen how long this pedal will last. I'm pretty proud of the fact that i'm the owner of one of the few pieces manufactured. :P

I've also acquired a lefty Carvin TL60
Review:
Alder body. Left handed. Cherry sunburst finish, maple top. String thru-body bridge. I love the thin, smooth neck and the ebony fretboard. The Telecaster shaped body has 24 frets! , and the fret access is infact superior to that of my Ibanez RG370dxl!
Another unique thing is that it is a neck-thru model, not bolt on.
It has three pups, HSS. It has a coil split switch and a phase switch, along with the usual tone knob, volume knob and 5-way switch.
The bridge humbucker gives me nice, tight sounds on high gain and sweet bluesy ones on low. I can coax strat, tele, les paul (to an extent) and even Brian May red special tones out of this guitar. I think i found myself the perfect guitar.
For country, post-rock, shoegaze and blues, it sounds outta this world.
A friend from Canada bought it used off ebay for me. $600, with the tweed case.

PS: The pics i'm uploading are from my phone, not too great.
For the guitar, i'll also link you to the ebay page, as the seller's pics are fantastic.
click on 'see full description'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEFT-HANDED-CARVIN-TL-60-TELECASTER-GUITAR-/330534253206?pt=Guitar&hash=item4cf5607296#ht_598wt_1031
Attachments:
Photo0240.jpg
Photo0250.jpg
Photo0080.jpg
184371_10150103687872727_705462726_6887086_2166251_n.jpg
P1020924.JPG
Thanks!
I've been saving up for three years, even starving myself at times.
I can't remember the last time i bought a bottle of Coke
Quote by unet
Good god.

Happy NGD!!
I know how tough it is to get good amps here so you must be one happy ****er...

And everything's double the price here! >.<

I've had to rely on my foreign friends for getting me gear. God bless them.
holy moses. you actually look like you starved yourself to death. please, eat something!

but then again, if its for the rig, its worth it. happy ngd!
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by grapist
holy moses. you actually look like you starved yourself to death. please, eat something!

but then again, if its for the rig, its worth it. happy ngd!

I still really need a delay pedal and some recording gear, so....
Happy NGD dude! Delay pedals and recording gear do come cheap. Craigslist will become your best friend if you search enough and in multiple cities. I've aquired a lot of gear from CL VERY cheaply and it all works great.
Quote by vjferrara
Happy NGD dude! Delay pedals and recording gear do come cheap. Craigslist will become your best friend if you search enough and in multiple cities. I've aquired a lot of gear from CL VERY cheaply and it all works great.

I live in India and that totally slays my chances of good deals.
HNRD!!!!

That is one awesome looking fuzz pedal, too...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
HNRD!!!!

That is one awesome looking fuzz pedal, too...

Thanks a lot, man. It's really diversified the number of tones i can achieve!
Last edited by Ravenfaust at Apr 10, 2011,
Sigh..you could have got a 2x12 based on mesa recto horizantal for 20,000inr(400$) +20$ shipping it was a cheaper and a better alternative
anyways hnrd
all i can read is left-handed car

HNGD XD
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
be3 makes them i made the mistake of buying a laney lv412a at that time i didnt knew about be3 but now i do i'l be odering a 2x12 from them next month If there is a return policy return the damn cab and get yourself a new cabeyyyy
anyways i forgot to mention those cabs come with v30's
Quote by Tunder250
all i can read is left-handed car

HNGD XD

LOL XD

Thanks, man. :p
Quote by deepsal
Sigh..you could have got a 2x12 based on mesa recto horizantal for 20,000inr(400$) +20$ shipping it was a cheaper and a better alternative
anyways hnrd

Having a modelling amp, it's better to have more transparent speakers.
The v30s add mid-range to things that are already compensated for. :/
v30s have more midrange than the 70 Eighty speakers on this, which themselves are mid-centric.

Also, i got a good deal on this cab. Around 23,000.
Quote by Ravenfaust
v30s have more midrange than the 70 Eighty speakers on this, which themselves are mid-centric.

Ignore him. He's a massive gear snob.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
He wouldnt play a modelling amp even if Mesa made one.

EDIT: He's right about the 70 Eighties though. They have a massive mid hump, made more apparent by a big drop in the lower highs.

Mesa wouldnt make a modelling amp even if John Petrucci would play it.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Ravenfaust

When people like to play metal on a budget, everyone on UG recommends the Peavey 6505 combo 112, but in my opinion, and according to my tastes, that the Vypyr tube is more versatile than the 6505 combo considering all the high gain amp models it has, which give a massve variety just for metal, not to mention the low and mid gain models. Though, it obviously can't beat the 6505 combo at what it's good at.

First part=YUS. I totally agree that this is much more versitile than the 6505, though the 6505 is good at being a 6505......

HNRD
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
First part=YUS. I totally agree that this is much more versitile than the 6505, though the 6505 is good at being a 6505......

HNRD

The original is obviously better aat being the original

If people treated amp models as a range of different distortions instead of expeting exact replicas, they would be a lot happier.

Take a look at 311's Vypyr Tube thread. He put up clips. They sound freaking awesome.
People thought he was using an Egnater Renegade with a low gain dirt pedal
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The original is obviously better aat being the original

If people treated amp models as a range of different distortions instead of expeting exact replicas, they would be a lot happier.

Take a look at 311's Vypyr Tube thread. He put up clips. They sound freaking awesome.
People thought he was using an Egnater Renegade with a low gain dirt pedal

If i had anything but the internal mic of my macbook, i would've recorded clips too.
>.<

Wait till you hear the atmospheric post-rock tones i get outta this thing, not to mention Rainbow-type music as well as Hate Eternal. :p
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
HNGD.

That carvin looks great. And the fuzz looks wayy br00talz. Looks like some cascaded fuzz factory madness.

Quote by Ravenfaust

Theyre actually quite similar speakers in terms of frequency response, both have a pretty harsh upper mid spike. The V30s better built, the 70/80 has worse high and low end response, and a big dip before the mid spike, as a result it sounds even more midrangey and nasal than the V30.

Does the vypyr have cabinet emulation? I dont think so. If not i wouldnt worry about having "transparent" speakers, just good ones, the V30 works well as an all round speaker.

If you want transparent speakers get some reference monitors to plug into and see how terrible that sounds.
Quote by beckyjc
HNGD.

That carvin looks great. And the fuzz looks wayy br00talz. Looks like some cascaded fuzz factory madness.

Theyre actually quite similar speakers in terms of frequency response, both have a pretty harsh upper mid spike. The V30s better built, the 70/80 has worse high and low end response, and a big dip before the mid spike, as a result it sounds even more midrangey and nasal than the V30.

Does the vypyr have cabinet emulation? I dont think so. If not i wouldnt worry about having "transparent" speakers, just good ones, the V30 works well as an all round speaker.

If you want transparent speakers get some reference monitors to plug into and see how terrible that sounds.

I assumed transparent speakers would make more sense.
Guess i was wayyy off the mark.
Thanks for correcting me. Who knows what mistake of a purchase i would've made in the future.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Ravenfaust
I assumed transparent speakers would make more sense.
Guess i was wayyy off the mark.
Thanks for correcting me. Who knows what mistake of a purchase i would've made in the future.

I once tried running a recto model on my RP into computer speakers.....with cab sims off.

Enough flub to kill a whale, along with squealing that can put a rat to shame.