I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. Basically I'm trying to weigh out what tone is worth the money. I'll start off by posting the amps and the prices, and anyone with any experience with any of these amps, please post the pros and cons.. in your opinion. I currently have the Bugera 333XL and it's giving me problems because the solder job sucks. It was the only amp I could really afford at the time, and it was good for the money. I am not bashing Bugera, because it has served me well these past 2 years.. as far as the tone goes. But the build quality is junk. I can either get the Bugera fixed for a couple hundred dollars by retubing it and having someone resolder the horrible solder job.. and have an amp with a nice tone for cheap, or buy one of the amps listed below and have a quality built amp that shouldn't need any maintenance other than routine maintenance to keep it in top shape and free of dust and debris.

Peavey 6505 Plus - $1,199
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier - $1,999
Hughes & Kettner TriAmp II - $2,799

I am by no means rich, but money isn't important, or shouldn't be, when it comes to a guitarist trying to find the perfect tone. All of my main influences use these same amps, or at least the same brand. In Flames - Peavey 5150/6505, Lamb of God - Mesa Boogie Mark IV and Killswitch Engage - Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II. I've also been reading up on Engl but I really don't know too much about them.
If you don't know much about ENGL, start learning. They make some of the absolute greatest amps on the market today. Tone and build quality. If you're just looking for a sexy high gain head, go with the Peavey, definitely. Although, a used 5150 dominates the 6505 anyday. But that's just my opinion. However, if you want to go for more variety, well, nothing wrong with a Mesa at all.
Have you looked on the used market at all? You can get all of those amps for considerably cheaper than new prices. 6505's go for around 7-800 used, dual recs for 1-1200, I wouldn't bother dishing out extra money for a triple rec, triamp mkII's don't come up used that often, but ippon, a forum member here picked one up recently for $1400, granted that was a steal. I got my triamp mkI for $1200,, but I've seen them as low as $775, and they're really nice amps. Mark IV's go for around 1000-1200 used as well. Adam D from Killswitch also used a Framus Cobra for a while, and he endorses splawn at the moment. He uses a Nitro, and theres a nitro on rigtalk for 1450 right now, which is a pretty good deal.
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91671&sid=fe1dad2a5bb18ab38bcbff3e55331437

As far as Engl goes, they make really nice amps as well, but they're a different voicing than any of the bands you listed use. For engl's savages, blackmores, powerballs, fireball 100s are all nice. I'd just find as many clips as you can, and try out whatever is around and see how it all stacks up for what kind of tone you want.
I really appreciate all of the replies. I've been really thinking between the Peavey and the Hughes & Kettner. The only reason I want to go all new is because I want to know I'm the first to own it. I've always been like that with everything. It's almost like I don't feel as great about the purchase unless I know for a fact it was mine first lol.. That and I have no clue what it's been through with the previous owner. Maybe it's just an OCD thing.

I'm not sure if there are any Engl dealers around me, but the only bad thing I've heard anyone say about them is the price. I think for right now I may just go with the Peavey. And if I decide I want the H&K later I'll either sell it for all I can get out of it or put it back as a studio amp.

I think the only reason, other than tone, I'm having a hard time making a decision is because I'm ordering a custom fit amp/rack combo case and I have to get all of the measurements to the company that's building it. I guess I could ask them to make the amp space a little bigger and then send me extra foam to make up for the extra measurements. I need something quick cause all of my racks are strung out all over the place just waiting to fall and get damaged.
Quote by JTNorquay
If you don't know much about ENGL, start learning. They make some of the absolute greatest amps on the market today. Tone and build quality. If you're just looking for a sexy high gain head, go with the Peavey, definitely. Although, a used 5150 dominates the 6505 anyday. But that's just my opinion. However, if you want to go for more variety, well, nothing wrong with a Mesa at all.

+78238328732

I prefer ENGL over everything
try some ENGL's out in the biggest musicstore in your area
im sure you'll like it :P

watch some music clips, when you like the overall tone, you'll like the amp too

( when it's not a studio version, but just recorded )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Apr 10, 2011,
A Mesa Dual Rec seems like it would suit you fine. A Mark IV or V would be a good choice too, they're really versatile but they also take a really long time to dial in. Although the Triamp is my favorite of those three by far, a Mesa seems like it would suit you best, and you'd end up saving a lot, especially if you go used, there's not much of a used market on Hughes & Kettner that I've found.

And most ENGL's tend to sound pretty thin IMO. Also check out the Diezel VH-4.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
And most ENGL's tend to sound pretty thin IMO. Also check out the Diezel VH-4.

vh-4 = +1

Engl's sound thin O_O

they are really fat bassy
great for p.m.'s

Quote by Ippon
+1 If you can swing it.

good luck swinging a 20kg head...
and when you do that, i'll swing YOU
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by JTNorquay
This is the only part I don't agree with since they have identical circuits. I would go for the TriAmp if you can afford it they are amazing amps
So much to consider. For some people it may not be this much of a hassle, but I guess I'm just really picky. What I want is the most clarity I can get in a very high gain amp. If I could compare the tone in my head to some tones that have already been achieved, it would be like Adam D and Mark Morton's tones having a 3 way with Bjorn Gelotte's tone, and having a baby.. if that makes sense. It would sound sort of like Fergie and Jesus.
maybe a AXEfx?

or a great software pocket with da pro headphones ( so you can play uber hard without waking up your baby )
ad then also you don't hear him ( or her ) cry xD
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Ippon
With just those 3 amp choices, I'd go TriAmp.

Me too, but looking at the threadstarter's requirements, I'm not sure it's worth it. It has a ton of features he probably won't need.

6505 and Recto are a good place to start looking, I'll recommend you look into an Engl Fireball 100 as well:
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Guitar-Amplifiers-Effects/Guitar-Amplifiers/Guitar-Amp-Heads/Tube-Guitar-Amp-Heads/Fireball-100-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-Black.site1sku502255000001000.sku

Much like the older Fireball 60, the 100 has nice cleans and a lead channel that does metal and metal only, but for that genre, I think it can compete with much more expensive stuff. It's not versatile, but it's good at the few tricks that it does.
The 6505 is exactly the same as the 5150...

dumbass
I've always thought they were the same. I heard they just had to change the name to 6505 cause 5150 is licensed to EVH.
Quote by Conner85
I've always thought they were the same. I heard they just had to change the name to 6505 cause 5150 is licensed to EVH.

Correct.
if you see one try out the 6534+ i know a bunch of people who love it.

of your choices though id say that the peavey or a triple rec would work fine,

if you really want versatility id say go with a mark V but other than that its purely preference between those 2 amps.

i cant really speak for the H&K amp, cuz i have neever played it, but the other 2 are both really great amps and are significantly cheaper. i know the TS said money wasnt important when it comes to his perfect tone, but almost 3k is alot for an amp head imo.
axe-fx
or if you are a toob junkie a dual recto with ts9
i prefer dual over triple recto
Quote by TheQuailman
Me too, but looking at the threadstarter's requirements, I'm not sure it's worth it. It has a ton of features he probably won't need.

+1

I like the triamp the best out of those 3 amps, but I didn't really like its high gain tones.

FWIW KSE change high gain amps like every 15 minutes. Don't get a triamp thinking that's what killswitch use, they've used nearly every high gain amp there is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?