i was looking around facebook today, frank yang's (a fellow some of you may know from youtube) ramblings caught my attention. Here's a quote that pretty much sums up what really gave me my "shit, never thought of it that way.." moment;

seducing girls with music has an evolutionary route...a lot of animals (birds mostly) use vocals/music to seduce the opposite sex. In fact, i would go on to argue that music is evolved precisely for this purpose (and for other types of social bonding). If you look at any society in the world and through out history, all of them had music and dance. Some evolutionary psychologists even argue that music was a pre-curser to langauge, and that language only developed because of our instinctual drive to make and play music for social bondings, so seducing girls with music is probably the most primal and instinctual things you can do as an organism.

this has really brought a whole new way of approaching music to me... of course, getting in a girl's pants isnt nececcarily why we picked up that guitar, but i really never thought of it in this context :O
I'M SO ****ING BRINGING MY GUITAR TO THE BAR TOMORROW

no, really, i am.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
No. Whether or not it's "human nature, bro", we have brains that can rationalize better than birds. Using art for seduction is douchey, any way you look at it.
I think it USED to be like that, 2000-5000 years ago, but now a days we have evolved to appreciate the music on other levels. We stimulate our brain with music, whether it be Mozart or Daath...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by Tim the Rocker
I think it USED to be like that, 2000-5000 years ago, but now a days we have evolved to appreciate the music on other levels.

true, but you can see the similarities of the mating dances of animals to people at a nightclub

back to actually playing music, why is it you see girls do stuff like flash their tats in a concert but not at a sports event?
playing the guitar is not only helping me get chicks it also making me to busy to get chicks

some of these girl wouldnt even talk to me if i wasnt a musician but then again im not going to stop practicing just to screw to those girls
Quote by piratemetalhead
of course, getting in a girl's pants isnt nececcarily why we picked up that guitar

When I started guitar,
It was a cry of desperation of getting into someone's pants...

Still hasn't worked...
I know Freud thought art came from the libido, or something similar.
Quote by due 07
No. Whether or not it's "human nature, bro", we have brains that can rationalize better than birds. Using art for seduction is douchey, any way you look at it.

He's not saying everyone who plays music is consciously doing it to find somewhere to put his cock. He's saying that's why making music is a trait that stuck around.

I've heard we evolved ticklishness because it helped us learn how to defend ourselves, that doesn't mean when you tickle someone you're actually thinking "I'm going to help you train for fighting off bears".
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
I know Freud thought art came from the libido, or something similar.

He's not saying everyone who plays music is consciously doing it to find somewhere to put his cock. He's saying that's why making music is a trait that stuck around.

I've heard we evolved ticklishness because it helped us learn how to defend ourselves, that doesn't mean when you tickle someone you're actually thinking "I'm going to help you train for fighting off bears".

I'm saying, there is a reason we shit ourselves as kids. It suck with us. Luckily, our brains can ensure this stops at a certain age. Similar consept with music, minus the age part. The OP was basically justifying a music-sex tradeoff.
Quote by Tim the Rocker
I think it USED to be like that, 2000-5000 years ago, but now a days we have evolved to appreciate the music on other levels. We stimulate our brain with music, whether it be Mozart or Daath...

2000-5000 years isn't a very long time on the evolutionary scale. Chuck an extra zero or two in there, I think that's a more reasonable time ago.
if that was accurate i would've gotten laid at least once by now because of it, no chick i've ever been with gave 2 shits about the fact that i played guitar.
Quote by laid-to-waste
I'M SO ****ING BRINGING MY GUITAR TO THE BAR TOMORROW

no, really, i am.

For an open mic or something? Please tell me you're not going to just wander in and start strumming and singing while people are trying to drink... that really won't impress anyone...