Hello,

currently I am writing a bachelor thesis about the sound of Guitar Rig 4 compared to real amps.
Therefore I need your help to join my online survey. It will only take approximately 10 minutes.

There will be audio examples recorded with Guitar Rig 4 and the same examples recorded with the real amp.
You have to choose which sound you like more. Some examples will be easy to choose because the real amp and the model don't sound exactly the same. Some will be harder to choose.

This survey is not about how close Guitar Rig sounds to the real amp but about personal preference.
I want to find out what people like more.

The result will be useful for home studios as well as for professional studios and anybody else who records guitars.

I will post the result as soon as the survey is completed. I will also post which examples were recorded with the real amp. If you want to compare the results please note your answers.

This is the link to start the survey:
http://student.sae.at/~11630/umfrage/index.php?sid=44376&lang=en

Thank you for your help!
Rene
Are you recording the real amps the same way the models for Guitar Rig have been recorded?

If you're using low end gear to record the real amps it seems pointless as there are too many variables.
Quote by e-taubs
Are you recording the real amps the same way the models for Guitar Rig have been recorded?

If you're using low end gear to record the real amps it seems pointless as there are too many variables.

Hi,

yes, I used the same gear as far as guitar amp, guitar cab, microphone and microphone placement is concerned. I don't know which mic pre's Native Instruments used for modeling so I took the ones I had (Mackie Onyx Preamp) which will do the job.

Since the settings I had on the amp didn't give me satisfying results on the model I altered the settings on the model to make the sounds more similar to the real amp.
When I used the same settings on the model I used on the amp, it didn't even sound close.

The survey is not about how close the model represents the original amp (that has been investigated before) but what the listener likes more. So I tried to come as close to the real amp as possible and then let the listener choose.

Greetings
Rene
Filled in, interesting idea, is there any way of letting us know which clips were which?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Filled in, interesting idea, is there any way of letting us know which clips were which?

yes, I will post the result as soon as the survey is completed. I will also post which examples were recorded with the real amp and which were modeled. I want to avoid that the results will be posted somewhere before the survey is over which will be at the end of this month.
Quote by renkaz
yes, I will post the result as soon as the survey is completed. I will also post which examples were recorded with the real amp and which were modeled. I want to avoid that the results will be posted somewhere before the survey is over which will be at the end of this month.

Awesome, thanks
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.