So I tried one of these at the weekend and I really liked it, unfortunately, I can't really justify the price/size of it, so I was wondering on the next best thing.

Basically, a 3 channel combo amp would suit me fine, with an equal amount of gain on the lead to the Powerball, a good crunch channel and a decent clean channel (not my BIGGEST priority), preferably 50watts and in the region of about £700 (used or new).
Funny words.
Engl makes some smaller wattage combos, Ihave no Idea what they run in GB. Try the Bugera 333/6260 combos, but you will never get that Engl sound without an Engl.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Engl makes some smaller wattage combos, Ihave no Idea what they run in GB. Try the Bugera 333/6260 combos, but you will never get that Engl sound without an Engl.

i believe the ENGL Thunder combo would be just within TS's range, and a used Screamer combo might also be in that range.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Keep in mind that a 1x12" open-backed combo will sound very different from a head through a big closed-back cabinet, even if the combo and head share the same circuitry.

I'd say a Bugera 333 (XL) would be worth a try. Way cheap, good tone.

Also look into a used Engl Screamer. Not half as ballsy as a Powerball, but it's versatile and has a lot of gain on tap.

It's difficult to find anything in that price range with 3 channels really. Peavey Ultras have three, right? If so, they're nice metal amps and a bit rare, but sell for cheap.

An Engl Thunder might also do, it's a two-channel with a switchable gain-boost:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_thunder_50_e322_roehrencombo.htm

Otherwise, maybe just consider a two-channel amp and get an additional distortion pedal or a booster for your high-gain.
These two come to mind:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_fat50.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

I haven't tried the Palmer, but clips suggest that it's versatile and pretty gainy, so at that price point it's worth a look. The Traynor is crazy good value.
I'll look into those, I've tried a Thunder before but that was a few years ago, I'll have to revisit that idea, in fact the 3rd result on Google is a used one for £399 so, it's worth a look.

And do Bugera's come in lower wattages? I haven't looked too much into them but I don't recall seeing many that aren't 120W.
Funny words.
There's the V22 and V55 (guess what the numbers mean), but they're probably not what you're looking for tonally. For high-gain, you usually want a big power-amp anyway. I'm talking a class A/B circuit with a pair of 6L6 or EL34 tubes, and that's around 50w usually. The difference in volume between a 50w and a 100w or 120w is negligible mostly. Besides, an Engl Thunder or Screamer sounds just fine at low levels.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Pod HD300 into a tube poweramp maybe?
PODHD300+Carvin TS100(used) should be around 800 dollars......
He could also run an Engle E530 pre amp into his current amp's poweramp.
AFAIk the 530 is based off the Savage.

Best two ideas. If you're into maximum tone shaping, you should get the preamp.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by TheQuailman
Keep in mind that a 1x12" open-backed combo will sound very different from a head through a big closed-back cabinet, even if the combo and head share the same circuitry.

I'd say a Bugera 333 (XL) would be worth a try. Way cheap, good tone.

Also look into a used Engl Screamer. Not half as ballsy as a Powerball, but it's versatile and has a lot of gain on tap.

It's difficult to find anything in that price range with 3 channels really. Peavey Ultras have three, right? If so, they're nice metal amps and a bit rare, but sell for cheap.

An Engl Thunder might also do, it's a two-channel with a switchable gain-boost:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_thunder_50_e322_roehrencombo.htm

Otherwise, maybe just consider a two-channel amp and get an additional distortion pedal or a booster for your high-gain.
These two come to mind:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_fat50.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

I haven't tried the Palmer, but clips suggest that it's versatile and pretty gainy, so at that price point it's worth a look. The Traynor is crazy good value.

+1 ((i haven't tried the palmer or the bugera)

or maybe the peavey 6505+ 112 combo

engl fireball, maybe, though you'd need a cab too, and it doesn't really sound the same as the powerball. though it sounds closer than most other things.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll just jump in this one so I wont get "new-thread-flamed"

I'm wondering about the Screamer head, along with a 2x12" ENGL cab.
Since I got no opportunity to test one of theese, its kind of risky to gamble on it imo.

Are they compareable with the bigger ENGL heads, or does it turn out as a cheap first-tubeamp-head?
Ofcourse, I dont expect it to be a Invader, but wouldnt say no to the ENGL tone in a smaller wattage top.

Hope to get some response, or advice.
I'd grab the e530. Won't be THAT similar to the powerball at all, but it will have that ENGL sound to it.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I'd grab the e530. Won't be THAT similar to the powerball at all, but it will have that ENGL sound to it.

That poweramp, isnt it? Actually looked at a used one the other day. Will check it out more closely
Quote by Intet
That poweramp, isnt it? Actually looked at a used one the other day. Will check it out more closely

It's a pre amp not a poweramp.
YOu'll need to run it through an existing amp's effects loop, or into a dedicated rack poweramp.
Ie guitar>E530>Effects return of amp/rack poweramp
Quote by GS LEAD 5
It's a pre amp not a poweramp.
YOu'll need to run it through an existing amp's effects loop, or into a dedicated rack poweramp.
Ie guitar>E530>Effects return of amp/rack poweramp

This. Although, the e530 does have a cabinet out and an internal 1.5w SS poweramp. It is surprisingly loud, enough for playing by yourself at home. Doesn't sound too bad either.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
This. Although, the e530 does have a cabinet out and an internal 1.5w SS poweramp. It is surprisingly loud, enough for playing by yourself at home. Doesn't sound too bad either.

Eh? I thought it was a pure pre amp

(Invalid img)
(cause ya know engls sound solid state blahblahblah

only joking obviously just mocking the internet
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Eh? I thought it was a pure pre amp

Yes and no. It has a switchable output between headphone and cabinet, not just the line out for an external poweramp. When you use the headphone/cabinet output, it does in fact have an internal stereo 1.5w poweramp! Sounds like this when properly recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fearcomplexmusic#p/u/15/Cwn0SZgK2Xo

If you don't need more than bedroom volumes, the internal poweramp is sufficient. No combo needed. How awesome is that?

If you do need a poweramp, run it into an existing amp or buy a poweramp on the cheap. Peavey 50/50 is dirt cheap, so is a mesa 50/50.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 11, 2011,
ALSO ts if you've got 700 keep saving. Used powerballs can go for about 800-900 really. IF its a powerball you want then a powerball you should get.

Edit: LOOK 750 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENGL-POWERBALL-100WATT-GUITAR-AMP-/170618631630?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27b9a9b5ce#ht_500wt_1156

powerball

So ya go used you'll be able to get what you want.

Also quails right.

There is a ultra 120 on uk ebay right now for like 300. Could even chance offering lower. Worth a try if you're nearby. You could get that and a decent cab for way under budget and they 're damn good.

I've played more expensive amps and my ultra plus could easily hang in there IMO
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
(notices someone suggested a 6505)
TS wanted an ENGL like tone.

>.>

<.<

How retarded do you need to be to think a 6505 sounds anything like a powerball?

well considering that only really engls sound like engls, I was settling for something at his budget which would get high gain.

I mean if you can think of something that sounds exactly like an engl powerball (new) for his budget then please suggest it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?