Poll: Did grunge ruin 80's metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Did grunge ruin 80's metal?
Yes and I like 80's metal
43 11%
Yes and I like grunge
20 5%
No and I like both
103 27%
No and I hate both
38 10%
Yes and I like both
31 8%
Yes and I hate both
5 1%
No and I like 80's metal
34 9%
No and I like grunge
77 20%
I don't know
30 8%
Voters: 381.
Page 1 of 5
Hey all do you guys think grunge ruined 80's metal?
Do you think grunge took all the fans of 80's metal away?,and therefore ruined it.
Or do you think grunge didn't took it away?
Last edited by liampje at Apr 10, 2011,
I think people who made 80's metal ruined 80's metal
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
80's metal was awful, some of the worst shite I have ever heard. Grunge wasn't much better, expect for a few artists.

All I can say is I'm glad neither are popular anymore.
popular music trends do tend to replace other popular music trends, so yes
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
well, i wouldn't say "ruin" as in anybody who liked it before stopped liking it, but grunge certainly killed it. and i really wouldn't say 80's metal was THAT bad. i mean, for every good one good band there was a thousand shitty ones, but that era produced some good tunes.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Do I think this thread is shit?

Yes.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
No, 1990 killed 80's metal.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
if by 80's metal you mean glam metal, than no, grunge did not ruin it, it sort of ruined itself, but if you mean real 80's metal like old school death and grind and stuff, nothing ever ruined that, and it just kept going till today, it just sort of evolved or whatever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
80's metal killed 80's metal. It got to the point where the oversaturatation just made the entire genre collapse in on itself. Kurt Cobain and crew just happened to be at the right place and the right time.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by isabiggles
No, 1990 killed 80's metal.

This lol

I vote they add cool face as a smiley
Grunge artists helped everyone realize how ****ing retarded 80's metal musicians were.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
i think 80s metal probably died at the end of the 80s.
now extra flamey
Yeah, and your mum sucks too, but you don't see us complaining
Last edited by ferilyne at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by ferilyne
Yeah, and you'r mum sucks too, but you don't see us complaining!

She doesn't swallow. Stuck up bitch.

If a genre isn't "good" enough to stay popular, the genre can't be that good.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by padgea7x

this...
Quote by itchy guitar
80's metal killed 80's metal. It got to the point where the oversaturatation just made the entire genre collapse in on itself. Kurt Cobain and crew just happened to be at the right place and the right time.

this...
Quote by MoFly41
Grunge artists helped everyone realize how ****ing retarded 80's metal musicians were.

and this...

grunge took the spotlight from an already-dying genre...simple as that...

pointless argument
im dissapointed by the lack of love for 80's metal
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
It's more like it reformed metal a bit; made it change in other words. That didn't hurt, since 80's metal was getting a bit repetitive after a while. However, some hardcore 80's fan would blame grunge for their favourites' fall of popularity.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by padgea7x
She doesn't swallow. Stuck up bitch.

<_<

>_>

she doesn't? what a cunt!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
About 80s metal...Axl said it best. "Where do we go, where do we go now?" Grunge was the answer. I love my hair metal, but I tell ya, it all started to sound the same. Thank you Pixies and Mudhoney for giving birth to a new genre, and revitalizing the rest
If you actually look at the billboard charts you'll see that the years Nirvana was big bands like Warrant, Tesla, Skid Row, etc... had more hits on the charts then the grunge bands.

Now, some of these bands (Aerosmith, Crash Test Dummies, etc...) are not really hair metal or grunge. I'm using my judgment as who was buying the records. In the 90s my metal head friends bought those records so I used that judgment.

Honestly, R&B/rap killed metal during those years. Some amazingly good rap came out - The Cronic, Snoop's first record, all Ice Cube's solo stuff, etc... and there was an explosion of people like Paula Abdul, Tevin Campbell, Toni Braxton, etc... that a ton of people were into.

I remember that a lot of the grunge stuff was kind of around when I was in school but it didn't get big until maybe 93 or 94 and even then there was a lot of metal around.

Examples taken from Billboard 100 for the year.

1991:

07. More Than Words » Extreme
14. High Enough » Damn Yankees
39. Wind Of Change » Scorpions
43. Love Of A Lifetime » Firehouse
46. Hole Hearted » Extreme
56. After The Rain » Nelson
73. Signs » Tesla
78. Something To Believe In » Poison
82. Silent Lucidity » Queensryche
96. I Saw Red » Warrent

1994:

35. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm » Crash Test Dummies

68. Crazy » Aerosmith
72. Amazing » Aerosmith
91. Always » Bon Jovi

1992:

32. Smells Like Teen Spirit » Nirvana

12. To Be With You » Mr. Big
17. November Rain » Guns N' Roses
72. Everything About You » Ugly Kid Joe
80. Have You Ever Needed Somone So Bad » Def Leppard
82. When I Look Into Your Eyes » Firehouse
95. Just Take My Heart » Mr. Big
98. Let's Get Rocked » Def Leppard

1993:

22. Runaway Train » Soul Asylum

57. Bed Of Roses » Bon Jovi
60. Cryin' » Aerosmith
61. Cats In The Cradle » Ugly Kid Joe
93. Three Little Pigs » Green Jelly
94. Livin' On The Edge » Aerosmith
100. Two Steps Behind » Def Leppard
No, it was a reaction to it. And actually, it was more of a reaction to the overly polished music of the '80s in general than just metal. The problem with overproduction in the '80s is the overuse of chorus and early digital reverb. I mean, no studio worth its salt in the '80s didn't have a Roland Dimension D and one of Lexicon's early rack reverbs.

Kind of like how compression and Auto-Tune are today's primary problems.
Quote by Holy Katana
No, it was a reaction to it. And actually, it was more of a reaction to the overly polished music of the '80s in general than just metal. The problem with overproduction in the '80s is the overuse of chorus and early digital reverb. I mean, no studio worth its salt in the '80s didn't have a Roland Dimension D and one of Lexicon's early rack reverbs.

Kind of like how compression and Auto-Tune are today's primary problems.

You know, I understand what you're saying but Nevermind is full of chorus, reverb, etc.... Honestly, when that stuff came out I probably would have agreed with you but Come as You Are is just as 'produced' as 'Unskinny Bop' looking back on it but in the 90s I probably would hve agreed with you, but those 'grunge' records of the 90s were pretty much full of what a lot of the 80s stuff was.

On the other hand, a record like 'Look What the Cat Dragged In' sounds like it was recorded on an 8 track. I mean, that record sounds like a demo but the songs are cool.

As for the Dimension D I have to disagree with you 100%. The Yamaha SPX series (probably the 90) was the chorus I seem to remember - along with the TC Electronics and the old JC-120 amps - plus lots of Boss, etc.... I don't remember seeing Dimension D units all that much.
Last edited by e-taubs at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by padgea7x

And I thought I'd be the smart-ass to make that comment. Bummer.
No, not really. I think styles were changing enough by the early 1990s to make 80s hair metal obsolete without anything to push it aside.

Obviously a few bands lasted through the 90s and are still going today, but even they ended up changing their styles a bit to move away from that 80s sound.
80s metal was becoming the prog-rock of its time: overblown, lame, etc. I guess grunge was just the next semi-logical progression.
Quote by padgea7x

**** you i was gunna say that
Quote by voleurz
**** you i was gunna say that

Quote by TheQuailman
I thought I'd be the smart-ass to make that comment. Bummer

Oh great, two UGers that were going to say the same thing. I used to be original

no.
80s metal drowned in it's own gaydom.
Grunge was born into gaydom and drowned in it too.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Oh great, two UGers that were going to say the same thing. I used to be original

EDIT: Goddamn it
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Page 1 of 5