Hey guys.

I've got the right jack in thing so I can plug my guitar into my line-in on the back of my PC.

I don't have a sound card, I use the onboard sound from my new motherboard which sounds great.

Is there any free software or something that doesn't require a sound card for me to play thru and get some effects and stuff like that?

Thanks.
-DreadAlert-
Quote by DreadAlert
Hey guys.

I've got the right jack in thing so I can plug my guitar into my line-in on the back of my PC.

I don't have a sound card, I use the onboard sound from my new motherboard which sounds great.

Is there any free software or something that doesn't require a sound card for me to play thru and get some effects and stuff like that?

Thanks.
-DreadAlert-

hope i don't get warned for this, but: piratebay

to "test" the programs ( to make it more legal xD )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Well I've managed to find a free piece of software named Guitar FX BOX 3, but whenever I choose a preset and press START, it says "Error opening audio input device! Selected format is not supported."

I dunno.
Quote by Tunder250
hope i don't get warned for this, but: piratebay

to "test" the programs ( to make it more legal xD )

Don't be surprised if you do get a warning. Using pirated software is dangerous. Besides the legal sticky points, the other issue I have with pirated software is most of it has virii, trojans and other nasties intentionally placed in it. The trouble just isn't worth it.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Don't be surprised if you do get a warning. Using pirated software is dangerous. Besides the legal sticky points, the other issue I have with pirated software is most of it has virii, trojans and other nasties intentionally placed in it. The trouble just isn't worth it.

stealing stuff takes skills
get a Line 6 pod gx - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006 come w/software

or one of these http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-GuitarLink-USB-Audio-Interface-Cable?sku=703593 get some software like podfarm.

Pirate software leads to blue screens in my experience.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
You can use something like Amplitube or whatever that one was that was free, but in my experience without a proper interface they are useless in terms of playing live and only really effective at post-production.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by KG6_Steven

Screw legal sticky points. Half the software out there isn't remotely good enough for the money they charge.

Maybe they should focus on creating a product that's actually worth paying for.

Find a highly rated download (1000 or more) and it's clean pretty well every time.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Screw legal sticky points. Half the software out there isn't remotely good enough for the money they charge.

Maybe they should focus on creating a product that's actually worth paying for.

Find a highly rated download (1000 or more) and it's clean pretty well every time.

Not wanting this to become a legal debate, but if everyone stole their software and nobody paid for it, how long do you think these companies could afford to stay in business? If it's good enough to steal, it's good enough to be bought.

That's my last bit on the topic.
Just downloaded Amplitube, have got my guitar going into my computer via line in, but it's not picking anything up.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Not wanting this to become a legal debate, but if everyone stole their software and nobody paid for it, how long do you think these companies could afford to stay in business? If it's good enough to steal, it's good enough to be bought.

That's my last bit on the topic.

My last bit is that I couldn't care less if every software, music and movie production company that produced mediocre products went busto.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
got warned :$

one thing to say, hope i don't get banned for this

i liked the peavey a lot
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by DreadAlert
Just downloaded Amplitube, have got my guitar going into my computer via line in, but it's not picking anything up.

May need to change your default source or default input or whatever that setting is called. Might not be Amplitube's fault, might be your sound card.

For example, I have to right click my speaker icon and select recording devices, then make the one I want to use "Default". This is in Win7.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by DreadAlert
Hey guys.

Thanks.
-DreadAlert-

Trust me, it doesn't sound good. Guitar is not line-level and is not meant to be put into the line-in. To get great sounds out of amp modeling software, you need a proper interface.

Although, you can get some manageable tones through the line in if you know what you're doing. But it's going to be fairly muddy and have a lot of noise. (I'm actually doing this currently, just like you are.)

Check out some of LePou's free amp VST plugins. They're pretty much the best, and I prefer them over things like Guitar Rig and Amplitube. But you'll also need some cabinet emulation, like LePou's LeCab and some impulses (.wav files that contain frequency information emulating different cabs and mic positions)
Last edited by Ignite at Apr 10, 2011,
They dont make any pc with integrated sound cards that are supposed to do what you're asking afaik.

You're going to get all kinds of issues with latency, noise, impedance.
It will work, but it will sound horrible, dull, noisy and be delayed by like 3 seconds.

You can get free ASIO drivers to solve the latency issue (As best as to your computers abilitiy), but it wont fix everything else.

There will be options to change where the software is using for ins/outs, make sure your sound card is selected.

I do reccomend you just get a used audio interface from eBay, even just the line 6 GX or UX1, theyre pretty cheap.

As for sims i have guitar rig 4 and amplitube 3, amplitube is a lot more tweakable and has better sounds (much better bass sims too), but its very CPU intensive, when using Pro Tools for recording i generally cant have more than one amplitube plug-in active or it will max my CPU, so I have to use guitar rig for everything else.