my e string seems to making a a weird noise towards the nut. hold the string at the nut seem to fix but i cant really see wheres in not filling it. It had been in the shop i bought it at(a week ago brand new) for a few months the owner said could it just need new strings or is it a serious nut issue
Last edited by th30nlyAket at Apr 10, 2011,
Try a larger gauge string. The nut might be filed out or the nut is pulling away from the neck
Quote by david-vbhc
Try a larger gauge string. The nut might be filed out or the nut is pulling away from the neck

i was planning on doing that anyway so i will do before i replace nut. the strings on it seem to be low gauge.(putting on a old medium gauge i had lying around help. Took it away except for when i play real hard
i had that happening to two of my basses, it is caused by wear in the nut. thicker gauge strings are a good temporary fix, as is filling the gap in the nut with paper.

eventually i would definitely recommend getting a new nut put in, it isn't at all expensive and will make a large difference to how nice the bass is to play.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Quote by jackers1234
i had that happening to two of my basses, it is caused by wear in the nut. thicker gauge strings are a good temporary fix, as is filling the gap in the nut with paper.

eventually i would definitely recommend getting a new nut put in, it isn't at all expensive and will make a large difference to how nice the bass is to play.

then i make go ahead and do that