Page 1 of 5
I love these guys. New CD coming either this or next year. For those not in the know, its like SOAD, Metallica and Pantera had a baby. Discuss.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
"SOAD, Metallica and Pantera" thank God that never happened. They're just a entry level, teen metal band
metalcore.
therefore, hardcore forum, no?
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Hardcore forum please.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
pedal tone riffs galore
tough guy verses
anthem style sung choruses
accessible to the proletariot

sounds like metalcore to me

edit : matter of fact, what else could one logically call them?
Quote by Magero
Last edited by ambivalent615 at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by ambivalent615
pedal tone riffs galore
tough guy verses

Sir, you just defined the whole of metal in four points. Not just metalcore.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
i don't think i've ever heard chuck sing (sans painkiller)
or heard ozzy throw some balls in his throat.

either way, the point is that 5fdp are certainly metalcore
Quote by Magero
Quote by ambivalent615
pedal tone riffs galore
tough guy verses

edit : matter of fact, what else could one logically call them?

No. This is metalcore:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGeGBBa1XA

Five Finger Death Punch sounds nothing like this. There is no hardcore influence. FFDP is just trendy metal. They have some screaming, they have some singing, though neither is particularly good. The riffs and solos are generic, albeit well produced and executed.

Heavy metal bands love pedal tones. Look at Iron Maiden. Good examples are the intro to Wasted Years and The Number of the Beast. Here are links in case the metal forum is unfamiliar with Iron Maiden:
Number of the Beast
Wasted Years

Man-o-War is all about them tough guy verses. In fact, most early heavy metal and power metal was as self-aggrandizing as gangsta rap. In case you meant semi-screamed verses, Slayer and most other thrash bands have essentially the same kind of vocal style as FFDP in their verses.

Anthemic choruses have been a metal mainstay since the NWOBHM days. They got really big with glam rock/metal bands and the metal community has shunned them almost universally since (outside of power metal and heavy metal acts). Anthemic choruses do not exist in actual metalcore.

Accessibility is a big thing for metal bands. The original point of most subgenres of metal was to tap into some kind of emotion (mostly the angry ones) that weren't addressed well enough in pop music. A lot of angsty kids identify with that kind of feeling, so labels encourage bands to follow the trend and become more accessibly angry, if you will.

Real metalcore does borrow a lot from metal, hence the "metal" part of the name metalcore. However, metalcore bands like Shai Hulud and Earth Crisis are not poppy, trendy garbage.

/thread
while you did make an almost entirely accurate argument, i fail to see how bands like scale the summit, between the buried and me, or born of osiris (who all reside in the hardcore forum) show any more hardcore influence than five finger. in fact, trivium even seems to have less hardcore in their sound than 5fdp.
Quote by Magero
By coincidence I happened to have one album of theirs in my iTunes archive ("The Way of the Fist") which I'd never actually listened to, so I decided to give it a go. Aside from stylistic considerations, I dislike it because the "tough-guy-ness" sounds really awfully forced throughout, not to mention that by the fourth track they ruin whatever semblance of toughness they had by slipping in this really adolescent "I love you and I hate myself" kind of teenage angst. They're not bad-ass, they just don't know how to deal with their feelings, man.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Whatever the hell it is you're arguing about, take it to the hardcore forum, as that's where this type of band goes. Cheers.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
strangles, where the hell did you get your sig from? I need to see that conversation
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by ambivalent615
while you did make an almost entirely accurate argument, i fail to see how bands like scale the summit, between the buried and me, or born of osiris (who all reside in the hardcore forum) show any more hardcore influence than five finger. in fact, trivium even seems to have less hardcore in their sound than 5fdp.

This is an entirely valid statement based on one assumption: UG is correct in placing various bands in the metal and hardcore forums. The simple fact is that this assumption is entirely incorrect. Scale the Summit are instrumental prog rock/metal. They have no place in the hardcore forum, but because all the really tr0o people here insist that they aren't metal (for whatever weird reason), the band got shoved into the hardcore forum. Honestly, STS belongs most in the progressive forums, but that's just me.

Born of Osiris is djent, plain and simple. However, the metal forum bitched enough, so all the djent bands got put into the hardcore forum (again, for whatever weird reason). Periphery, Born of Osiris, and every other djent band is metal. There is no hardcore in their sound at all.

Trivium was in the same boat as FFDP. Their first two albums were definitely just trendy metal that had breakdowns and screaming. Their two latest, The Crusade and Shogun, were thrash, especially the former. Shogun was interesting because it married their earlier sound with the Crusade, creating a sort of melodic thrash. They do have some progressive elements (they aren't a prog metal band, but they do occasionally take cues from that side of the fence), but Trivium has been a metal band since its beginning.

One could make a convincing argument for Between the Buried and Me because their first two or three albums showed a great deal of influence from hardcore bands. Listen especially to songs like Lost Perfection and Camilla Rhodes and you'll hear a lot of hardcore stuff going on. Their latest two (three if you count the EP they just released) are definitely more progressive metal (progressive death in my opinion, but I won't make that a point of contention) than anything. However, once again, the people here bitched.

Quote by Sewe Dae
By coincidence I happened to have one album of theirs in my iTunes archive ("The Way of the Fist") which I'd never actually listened to, so I decided to give it a go. Aside from stylistic considerations, I dislike it because the "tough-guy-ness" sounds really awfully forced throughout, not to mention that by the fourth track they ruin whatever semblance of toughness they had by slipping in this really adolescent "I love you and I hate myself" kind of teenage angst. They're not bad-ass, they just don't know how to deal with their feelings, man.

Precisely. They are trendy, decent enough at their instruments to write ok-ish songs if you don't mind it being deep fried in generic-sauce. It's not really groundbreaking if you like that stuff, it's kind of bad if you don't like it. They're just another generic, trendy attempt at metal. That doesn't make them metalcore.
From what I gather these guys aren't Metalcore at all.

They're just shite.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Stranglehold
Whatever the hell it is you're arguing about, take it to the hardcore forum, as that's where this type of band goes. Cheers.

See my argument as to why this doesn't belong in the hardcore forum. FFDP is not hardcore or metalcore. If you're gonna be an elitist, be an educated elitist. Otherwise, you're just being ignorant.

Quote by Dyers Eve
From what I gather these guys aren't Metalcore at all.

They're just shite.

Thank you.
there's a reason all shitty false bands get put in the hardcore forum. so we don't have shitty threads like this

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
there's a reason all shitty false bands get put in the hardcore forum. so we don't have shitty threads like this

1.) They aren't "false". They're metal, albeit not very well done. Get over it.
2.) That doesn't accomplish anything.
3.) People who want to talk about this band have just as much right to talk about it here as any fans of any other metal band.

Please tell me you were joking.
They are false. I won't deny that they're metal, but they play generic watered-down metal, making them false and utterly worthless. And moving such bands to the hardcore forum helps, because the regs of the metal forum don't like any of these shitty bands, while the hardcore forum already has lots of people who are into deathcore and metalcore and enjoy false stuff. there is no discussion here, do you see that? TS is a fanboy who thinks this band is great, everyone else is pointing out how shitty they are. If he went to the hardcore forum there'd be a better chance of him finding other fans to talk to about this band. Everyone would win. except you, who would probably still cry and call us elitists

Sumdeus
Quote by Geldin
See my argument as to why this doesn't belong in the hardcore forum. FFDP is not hardcore or metalcore. If you're gonna be an elitist, be an educated elitist. Otherwise, you're just being ignorant.

Thank you.

I make it a habit of mine not to take advice from fans of between the buried and me, especially ones who spell Manowar 'man-o-war'. Take your wikipedia definition of metal and go back to the hardcore forum, there's a good lad. You might want to get that nasty chip on your shoulder looked at too.

rome, that sig was taken from some awful thread the other day - too good to pass up!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Last edited by Stranglehold at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by romencer17
They are false. I won't deny that they're metal, but they play generic watered-down metal, making them false and utterly worthless. And moving such bands to the hardcore forum helps, because the regs of the metal forum don't like any of these shitty bands, while the hardcore forum already has lots of people who are into deathcore and metalcore and enjoy false stuff. there is no discussion here, do you see that? TS is a fanboy who thinks this band is great, everyone else is pointing out how shitty they are. If he went to the hardcore forum there'd be a better chance of him finding other fans to talk to about this band. Everyone would win. except you, who would probably still cry and call us elitists

So the thread goes to the wrong forum because there are fans of another genre there in the hopes of finding fans of the band? That's not particularly logical. Threads like these exist for legitimate discussion of the band, not to fellate each member of the band (see also: the BTBAM thread).

Also, up until the boloded part, I was willing to continue arguing (despite the illegitimacy of your point). Keep poorly worded and even less meaningful attacks like that to yourself. They don't mean anything to me and they just make you look immature.

Quote by Stranglehold
I make it a habit of mine not to take advice from fans of between the buried and me, especially ones who spell Manowar 'man-o-war'. Take your wikipedia definition of metal and go back to the hardcore forum, there's a good lad. You might want to get that nasty chip on your shoulder looked at too.

So logic takes a backseat to spelling?

Also, you might be mistaking my tone. I'm not pissed off at this argument, but this is painfully stupid at times. Also, if you guys don't like the band, either make a legitimate point or don't waste your time bumping the thread.
Bump.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Makes me laugh how everyone gets so caught up with the simple question. WHAT IS METAL?

Bro, it doesn't matter what genre it is. If you like it, sit down and f'in listen to it.

/thread rant.

FFDP are good live. Catchd them at Download twice. Each time blew me away, no matter how corny their songs are.
I Like Orange......

if you're blown away by a band like FFDP you should really go to shows more often

^yes. False threads get trolled to death in the metal forum, so either troll or be trolled.

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
if you're blown away by a band like FFDP you should really go to shows more often

^yes. False threads get trolled to death in the metal forum, so either troll or be trolled.

I've probably been to more than you.

They have die hard fans, angsty teenagers yes but they certainly put alot of effort into their shows. Its quite refreshing for a new band onto the 'metal' scene.

Cough, every genre with core on the end.
I Like Orange......

Last edited by JonnyH at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by romencer17

To the first:
ehhh..... A good show's a good show. Granted, a good show from a really good band is much better than a good show by a less interesting band, but to each his own, right? Some bands, especially the cheesy ones, are just fun to see live. It's kind of cool to be part of a big-ass anthemic chorus chant.

To the second:
I figured as much. I've made my point and there's nothing I can do to stop trolls, so I might as well be amused.

Quote by JonnyH
Cough, every genre with core on the end.

Fvck yourself
Last edited by Geldin at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by Geldin

Some of the best shows I've seen have been core bands, eg trivium.

I just think the genre is much over saturated with the same tripe and no unique talent coming through.
I Like Orange......

one of the best shows you ever went to was Trivium? Well that explains why you were blown away by FFDP

Sumdeus
Quote by JonnyH
I've probably been to more than you.

Let me guess, your dad is totally harder than his Dad too right?
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by romencer17
one of the best shows you ever went to was Trivium? Well that explains why you were blown away by FFDP

I saw them and they was quite tight and the crowd energy was awesome.

The best gig I've been to was RATM at '10. That was the day after I saw AC/DC.

Quote by Dyer's Eve
Let me guess, your dad is totally harder than his Dad too right?

He'd shit on your face.
I Like Orange......

Last edited by JonnyH at Apr 10, 2011,
Indubitably.

Here's an idea: let's all describe this band using words that the singer wouldn't understand (you know, three or four syllables each).
Quote by JonnyH
The best gig I've been to was RATM at '10. The day after I saw AC/DC which also raised the bar.

now you're either trolling or just an entry level chump

Sumdeus
Quote by JonnyH
He'd shit on your face.

Hohoho, i'm gonna have some fun with you.
LAMMERGEIER
Page 1 of 5