Hey all, I've owned an Ovation acoustic/electric from the Celebrity series. Still in mint condition after not playing it in 5 years. I learned it... forgot all about it, and now I'm back to re-teach myself everything from the ground-up.

I prefer working with acoustics mainly, but I definitely picture myself experimenting with some new sounds in the future, so I decided that I might pick up a hybrid guitar to have the acoustic feel, but with a bit of electric so I can entertain myself longer.

I've been looking into the Ibanez Montage lately, but i've been hearing a lot of mixed feelings about it... what do you all think? I'm on a bit of a budget... so I want a quality filled guitar with a good price tag.

Any thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks all!
so you have a guitar you don't play, and you're on a budget, and you want to blow 500 bucks on a piece of shit?
my recommendation is you just give me the damn money, because i buy stuff i use.
You have an Ovation and you want something else? I have a Sierra acoustic/electric but the controls on the preamp are so annoying that it just gives me annoyingly long sustain and makes it sound nothing like I want it to.

See if you can get another ovation acoustic/electric cause those are beautiful.
Alright, so maybe I wasn't clear on this. I don't want to abandon my Ovation. I absolutely love it to death. I was looking into a new guitar for FUTURE use. Meaning, when I get more experience with guitars and I feel like experimenting a little. Never did I say I wanted to get rid of my Ovation.

brothertupelo, chill, hopefully I managed to clear myself up a little here. No harsh feelings, right?
For a hybrid at that price point I'll say get a Michael Kelly. They actually play well (something you don't often get for that price). The humbuckers sound like humbuckers and the acoustic sounds like an acoustic, and you don't compromise anything. The aesthetics are a bit cheesy but hey, it's $600, it's not going to be perfect.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
For a hybrid at that price point I'll say get a Michael Kelly. They actually play well (something you don't often get for that price). The humbuckers sound like humbuckers and the acoustic sounds like an acoustic, and you don't compromise anything. The aesthetics are a bit cheesy but hey, it's $600, it's not going to be perfect.

I've heard of Michael Kelly's, but aren't they a bit hard to get your hands on? Compared to the Montage, the Montage can't hold a candel to a Michael Kelly, right? That's what I've been hearing around lately.

By the way, I noticed that the Montage is a bit more hallow than the Michael Kelly... would you say the Montage would have more of an acoustic feel as opposed to the Michael?
The Montage would certainly have a more acoustic feel. The neck on the Kelly is a more electric profile and the body is a thinline style. It still sounds like an acoustic acoustically, though. I've never played the Montage but it doesn't look like it'll have a very good electric sound.

The thing with Kellys is that you kind of have to order them. In all my guitar-playing days I've seen a grand total of one store stocking their electric and hybrid models. They're pretty consistently built though. I don't think ordering them online would be a problem.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I still don't understand why you can't just play the Ovation.

Don't buy another guitar. Just play the one you have. It's much better than anything you're getting at that price point, anyways.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by sonic_777111
The Montage would certainly have a more acoustic feel. The neck on the Kelly is a more electric profile and the body is a thinline style. It still sounds like an acoustic acoustically, though. I've never played the Montage but it doesn't look like it'll have a very good electric sound.

The thing with Kellys is that you kind of have to order them. In all my guitar-playing days I've seen a grand total of one store stocking their electric and hybrid models. They're pretty consistently built though. I don't think ordering them online would be a problem.

So let's say you've never touched the Montage or the Kelly... what would you go for out of these two guitars?

You said the Kelly can play well acoustically, but do you think it leans towards more of an acoustic feel or an electric feel?
Quote by stratman_13
I still don't understand why you can't just play the Ovation.

Don't buy another guitar. Just play the one you have. It's much better than anything you're getting at that price point, anyways.

I love my Ovation to death, really I do. Don't plan on selling it, it's got a great spruce top and you get a heavenly sound it. I'm gonna keep playing this, but the reason why I'm looking into hybrids so much is because I plan on playing an electric in the future, and at the same time, I'm kind of looking into getting a new acoustic. I can't buy two seperate guitars though due to financial issues (gotta pay for school).

The hybrid is by-no-means replacing my Ovation. God I can't allow that...
Quote by Kaveh-Red
I love my Ovation to death, really I do. It's just that I want to get a new guitar, but I want it to do the exact same thing that my Ovation does now, thus throwing away perfectly good money.

Fixed. I mean, really, the guitar you're looking to get is the exact same type as the one you have. And since you have to pay for school, why not put that money toward a more practical use?
you already have an electric acoustic and you want another electric acoustic to play electric sounds with? am i reading this right? you want another guitar like your ovation, but a different brand? to play electric sounds on? ........buy an electric.

proud ovation celebrity owner
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
not necessarily.. I talked to the guys at my shop, and they said that this is an acoustic which you can plug an amp into to project the sounds.. a hybrid is a guitar that can be switched to sound like an acoustic or an electric. So yeah, there is a difference.
I don't recall ever hearing of a guitar that can make both acoustic and electric noises. theres a reason that artists switch guitars when going from an electric song to an acoustic. so either the guy you talked to was wrong, or you heard him wrong.

The only thin I can think of that might be what you want would be a semi-hollow, where they have acoustic like properties when unplugged and maybe clean, but can get a good distorted electric tone from.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
hey TS.

i looked over the ibanez.
it's not going to give you what you're looking for.

what are you playing it through?

FYI i play a "hybrid" taylor T5
and own several acoustic and acoustic/e guitars.

i know what i'm talking about.

you'll probably really enjoy a semi- hollow body electric guitar instead.

use the ovation for the acoustic stuff, and a hollow body electric
for the rest, and use the money you save on an amp to shape the sound.

Quote by JAHellraiser
I don't recall ever hearing of a guitar that can make both acoustic and electric noises. theres a reason that artists switch guitars when going from an electric song to an acoustic. so either the guy you talked to was wrong, or you heard him wrong.

The only thin I can think of that might be what you want would be a semi-hollow, where they have acoustic like properties when unplugged and maybe clean, but can get a good distorted electric tone from.

i agree about the semi hollow part,
but Taylor makes an acoustic and electric all in one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Apr 17, 2011,
just get an electric with a piezo at the bridge.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
just play the thing man
stop think of way s to spend your hard earned,.
Quote by weemyst
ps im schizophreniic

yeah dont do that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011