I'm looking into buying a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I like to play all types of music, including ska, reggae, classic rock, and modern rock. I have a couple questions about this guitar. It is worth $800? How much would you pay for it if you could make the price? And are all studios made in the USA? Also what is the difference between a les paul standard/studio/custom.

Thanks for you help
I'm assuming you're talking about the Faded Studio. I would find one used pre-09 because they started putting Burstbucker Pro's in the Faded ones and I'm not a huge fan of Burstbuckers. However, newer Faded Studios come with maple tops.

All Studios are made in the USA.

The main differences between the Standard, Studio and Custom are finish, maple cap, wood quality, inlays and I'm pretty sure the Standards and Customs come with coil-split.
The studios are worth the money if you find a good one. Just like any other guitar model there are good ones, okay ones, and terrible ones. The differences between the studio and the standard are mostly cosmetic. IMO all Gibson pick ups are high quality they just each have a slightly different tone. The 57's are warmer and rounder. The 490's are brighter with an emphasized mid range. Like many others will tell you. Go play a bunch of them and buy your favorite.
Well first of all that is a pretty awesoem deal, is it second hand and gently used? second the standard is, well yeah... standard its the way Les Pauls made it. The newer ones have some changes though. studio is upgraded heavily but still sounds pretty awesome. Custom means its a customized guitar. awviously
Last edited by slashermaster at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by slashermaster
Well first of all that is a pretty awesoem deal, is it second hand and gently used? second the standard is, well yeah... standard its the way Les Pauls made it. The newer ones have some changes though. studio is upgraded heavily but still sounds pretty awesome. Custom means its a customized guitar. awviously

This makes me want to post the pear so much. Is it still bannable?
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"

This is the one I bought from GC:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-100010154-i1149139.gc

I took the pick guard off because I like the 'naked' look.

I've only played electric for abouy 18 months now and love it, absolutely love it. It just seems to play easy. The sound is awesome.

My knock is the tuners are poor. Maybe its because I prefer to play a half step down and when I jam with others and tune up it slips out of tune quite a bit. At some point I plan to put some really nice tuners on there (dont even know if thats a viable upgrade).

The pickups are awesome. I (usually) play through a Fender Blues Deluxe amp (40w tube). I tried a lot of amps but if your going to get that guitar I HIGHLY recommend trying that amp out with this guitar. Its not cheap... the amp will run you another $700-$800 but man oh man... the clean tones you get from that guitar/amp combo are other wordly. So warm, and when you want to rock I can shake my house, my neighbor's house and gophers living under the shed.

The guitar is on the heavy side... but when I switch guitars or my friends play mine everyone agrees... the Les is just so playable. Even my friends who are kind of jaded by the Gibson/LP popularity dig my guitar. The guy I play with the most is a die hard jock riding SRV Strat playing fanatic who's been playing 20 years (since he was 12) and he loves playing this guitar. Wouldnt trade it for his strat, but is actually thinking about dropping the $800 on one because its just that good.

The two humbuckers really sing and the dual tone and volume knobs are great for adjusting on the fly.

No whammy bar... Ive never played with one so maybe I dont know what I'm missing there.

All and all this was my first electric and while its fun to play other guitars this was a great buy for me and I have no regrets. As my playing needs grow daily (I practice a lot) the guitar has never let me down. The tuners would be my only compaint. That and the knob for the strap isnt huge and Ive had it pop free a couple times.

The feedback I get from those in the know with more experience who play this guitar is very positive.

Good luck!
he of tranquil mind
The LP Studio is a great guitar. I got a Faded Cherry a month or so ago and love it. The neck if one of the best I have played on in years from a new guitar and the sound is all Les Paul. Someone above commented on the guitar being heavy. He/She must play a guitar made from paper. The guitar is weight relieved and pretty damm lite.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
LP studio's are descent, I guess. Wouldn't pay $800 for one though. I mean, for that money you could get a far superior Tokai Love Rock (MIJ) or an Edwards ESP LP (parts made in China, assembled in Japan). Maybe take a look at 2nd hand gibson studio's perhaps. Hope it helped.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
+1 to fishmike

i have one too, took the plate off as well looks much better.
the second i got it i new it was something special, its just a raw dust n' bones guitar no crap just pure tone. but because of the wood with only a very thin layer of nitroglycerin lacquer it scratch and dins quite bad.. i have a shitload of buckle scratch but put it this way i dont care i aint selling it anytime soon!
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Quote by Bhaok
The LP Studio is a great guitar. I got a Faded Cherry a month or so ago and love it. The neck if one of the best I have played on in years from a new guitar and the sound is all Les Paul. Someone above commented on the guitar being heavy. He/She must play a guitar made from paper. The guitar is weight relieved and pretty damm lite.

this.. everyone who plays my faded cherry is surprised by how light it is.

they are pretty good guitars, but i'd recommend that you go and play a load of them in a shop and buy the one that you like best, otherwise it's a lot of money to gamble with - gibsons are all individually different, some say that's "poor quality control" but that's debateable, i believe what people see as poor quality control is actually subjective variations and just the nature of handbuilt guitars.

@darkravers009: yeah those are good alternatives (not really 'superior' - that's subjective), but if you like the feel of the faded finishes, then none of those will do.. those faded finishes are a love/hate kind of thing - but it's definitely worth checking out tokai (only the japanese ones, mind) and edwards otherwise.

also, slashermaster... a shmoigle can contain any green fruit, except pears, they are forbidden.. <ten points to anyone who gets the reference>
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by slashermaster

It's either you're quite the stupid one or a really bad troll. Not sure which though.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Garry94
nitroglycerin lacquer it scratch and dins quite bad.

Nitrocellulose... nitroglycerin will make playing it a little hot and explosive...