Hey guys. Been a while...A LONG while...

I come back to you with a question: How do I soften up my 6505+'s tone? I've tried an eq pedal, different tubes (Although not a lot of different ones. Only a couple.), different pickups and a different guitar and it still has a very hard and actually a nasty sound to it. I like the edge that it can get, but it's not a smooth edge. It's very rough...

Anyhoo, are there any pedals, tubes, or even (cheap and easy) mods that I could do to make it softer? I can sort of soften it up with my 10 band EQ, but then it loses all of it's edge and starts to sound too...Bluesy? For lack of a better term.

EDIT: I'm wondering if it's only 'cause I have the volume too low for this amp. I have the post gain on 2 which is pretty loud for practicing...Any thoughts?
Last edited by The.new.guy at Apr 10, 2011,
What speakers are you playing out of? Is this the 1x12 or the head version?

Changing speaker(s) would be a good start, and messing with the pre-amp tubes (Although I've found that EH 6l6's power tubes smoothed over my sound a bit, but mine has never sounded "harsh")
It's the combo. I edited the title, I'm guessing while you were posting. It is the stock speaker and I've heard bad things about it.

It's not so much harsh, but just not smooth at all. Almost solid state sounding.
Quote by The.new.guy
It's the combo. I edited the title, I'm guessing while you were posting. It is the stock speaker and I've heard bad things about it.

It's not so much harsh, but just not smooth at all. Almost solid state sounding.

Harsh yes. Not SS sounding.
It has that thick chunk to palm mutes that SS amps simply dont get.

EDIT: Play with your volume knob.
Less treble and presence.
Use lower gain pre amp tubes ie 12AT7's and 12AU7's.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 10, 2011,
I have the combo but I haven't changed out the sheffield that's in there. How long have you had it? Maybe it just needs breaking in, because mine doesn't sound harsh/nasty at all.
I found this amp to have alot of treble and hardly any bottom-end. EQing has helped but I'm also considering a speaker swap.

Anyone swapped out this speaker and found any improvment in bottom-end? (Sorry for Hijacking your thread newguy).
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
I found this amp to have alot of treble and hardly any bottom-end. EQing has helped but I'm also considering a speaker swap.

I have the same problem with my 6505+ combo. I ran the 6505+ through my Krank 1x12 cab and it didn't change the sound too much. My Krank Krankenstein sounds waaaay better than the 6505+.
i have the head version, but i find that the crunch mode on the rhythm channel has a lot less edge to it, and if i use the crunch mode at band practice volumes i can get a good smooth distortion that can be tweaked for pretty much all non-metal needs and it sounds sick
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.