I have a shecter c-1 standard (mahogany body), it comes with duncan designed hb-102b(jb) in the bridge and 101 in the neck. I am looking for some higher output pickups that dont sound muddy, and that would suit thrash/death/folk/ and mostly black metal but not an active pickup; i did not like the sound of the emg 81s and seymour blackouts but i really dig the duncan distortion, from listening to sound examples on the net. But i was also wondering if the x2n would be good for that? i heard many good things about it, but aloooot of bad things so i can't really decide
Last edited by Sodom616 at Apr 10, 2011,
I have a Duncan Distortion, and yeah, it's alright. Whether it's worth it depends on where you're located and how much you're willing to spend.

Say, what amp do you have?
sound files you find on the net are going to be very misleading. A poor recording quality, bad amp, a bad player, or simply a bad micing (most likely cause) can completely distort your views on tone.

Find a guitar with emgs or blackouts and play it through your amp if possible, if not something similar.
Well, i just got 1200dhs (around 350$) because my grandparents went away lol, my amp is a Line 6 spider IV 75 i usually turn the volume up so i can get a super distorted sound and theres a built in boost effect that can make it sound even crunchier...i have a digitech grunge distortion pedal but when i use it on my amp it sounds like my amp will explode lmao!
Quote by Sodom616
Well, i just got 1200dhs (around 350$) because my grandparents went away lol, my amp is a Line 6 spider IV 75 i usually turn the volume up so i can get a super distorted sound and theres a built in boost effect that can make it sound even crunchier...i have a digitech grunge distortion pedal but when i use it on my amp it sounds like my amp will explode lmao!

Well, don't bother then. Spiders sound pretty much the same no matter what pups you've got in your guitar, so spending any cash on after market parts is a waste. It's also not like you'd need high-output pups to push the preamp a bit more, the Spiders have plenty of gain.

But yeah, want better tone? Buy a better amp.
Do Alnico 5 magnets sound ok for metal? maybe i could switch it to ceramic magnets...or just get a new pickup,
Well, don't bother then. Spiders sound pretty much the same no matter what pups you've got in your guitar
I compared my guitar with a ibanez grg170dx and it sounded totally different.....and i just spent all my money on the spider and shecter, i used to use a yamaha 10w amp which sucked balls!
Please take my word on this one. active pups won't help you. Save up and get a decent tube amp before buying new pickups.
Quote by Sodom616
I compared my guitar with a ibanez grg170dx and it sounded totally different.....and i just spent all my money on the spider and shecter, i used to use a yamaha 10w amp which sucked balls!

Well, I wanted to find a nice way of saying "Spiders sound like crap no matter what you plug into them."
Sure there'll be differences from guitar to guitar. But Spiders are beginner amps. It's easy to hear and nothing in the world can change it.

EDIT: If you can, return the Spider and use the money from it and the money you just got to get a proper high-gain amp.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 10, 2011,
Ill probably never afford a tube amp until i can work...and I can only do that when im 18 so another 3years. Im pretty positive about the sh-6, it sounds alot crunchier than emg81's and duncan blackouts