I'm trying to improve my alternate picking my question is, of I do chromatic exercises with different fingerings like 1234 134 124 etc is it going to help or doing different fingerings is useless?
What exercises do you guys use?
Dude, 1234 is really nice exercise for that(im seeing really nice improvement over few past weeks, and what Ive read in Govan's book that is nice to practice all combinations of 1234, so that your alternate picking will go together with different fingerings to use it at its full.
so it goes like 1234 1243 1324 1342 ....etc etc, altogether 27 permutations.

Oh, and btw, remember to first separate exercises at 1 string, and then with changing strings
Batio's exercise for playing on adjacent strings was 3-note per string at one string and 1 note on a lower string
Quote by Khocz
Dude, 1234 is really nice exercise for that(im seeing really nice improvement over few past weeks, and what Ive read in Govan's book that is nice to practice all combinations of 1234, so that your alternate picking will go together with different fingerings to use it at its full.
so it goes like 1234 1243 1324 1342 ....etc etc, altogether 27 permutations.

Oh, and btw, remember to first separate exercises at 1 string, and then with changing strings
Batio's exercise for playing on adjacent strings was 3-note per string at one string and 1 note on a lower string

WOW! just noticed this! Sounds great! I'm gonna try this too! Thnx
My suggestion would be do mix it up.

Its like anything, if you keep doing the same pattern over and over eventually you'll get good at that, but when you move on to the next you'll find yourself struggling again. You'll eventually repeat the process and get good at the next one until you move on again.

I'm a big believer in learning things in groups of 3. Im not sure what it is about the number 3, but I know anything I've learned chords in groups of 3, it has helped my progress.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
I usually play diatonic scales, sticking to two strings for a little bit, and then moving up.

A-----------5-6-8
E----5-6-8------- about four times
then
D-------------5-7-8
A------5-6-8-------- about four times and keep moving up the scale.

It works for me.
you love the khocz...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com