Hi guys,

I know this isn't a guitar thread but I couldn't really find a good place to post this so hopefully some of you will have some advice.

I'm looking for a small keyboard (~37 keys, not much smaller than that please) and originally had my heart set on a Moog Little Phatty Stage II, but am starting to reconsider spending $1500 on a monophonic analog keyboard just because it sounds really good. Apart from the obvious expensive keyboards, like Korg SV-1 that everyone uses, what is some affordable (sub $1000) polyphonic gear (analog or digital) that will still be useful for recording and live play? Used would be great but my problem is that I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in terms of what is good and what isn't.

Thanks.

EDIT: I am thinking something like a microKorg, does anyone know much about them?
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Apr 10, 2011,
I'm a guitarist at heart, and picked up an Alesis Micron. I absolutely love it, and it was really cheap too. I'm willing to answer any questions or provide clips on anything specific.
i don't think the microkorgs are any good. That Alesis is about as good as it gets before you get into things like the Korg SV-1. I personally think the Korg SV-1 is AMAZING, but it is terribly expensive. LOOK FOR ONE USED!. Also, old Motifs go for pretty cheap.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Korg M50 is $1099. I have one and it's awesome. It's a tweaker though, but it also has a lot of awesome presets right from the get go.

Also take a look at the Yamaha MM6, it's only $599.

They both have a lot of synth sounds but aren't primarily just a synth keyboard, they're workstation that pretty much do any kind of sound. My M50 has a lot of convincing woodwind instruments and a lot of really great sounding brass and strings.

If you're looking for something more synth oriented, then I'm not sure I can really help. Maybe something like the Alesis Micron, which I've heard nothing but great things about... or the Korg X50. Also the Roland Gaia SH-01 looks pretty nifty.
I believe they might be discontinued, but look into a Roland SH-201. You can find them for $600 at various places.
M-Audio Venom
they are pretty new but they are only like $500 on musiciansfriend.com and I have heard nothing but good things about them it and you can also use them as on audio interface for Pro Tools(only realy a plus if you use Pro Tools)
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Shayne777
M-Audio Venom
they are pretty new but they are only like $500 on musiciansfriend.com and I have heard nothing but good things about them it and you can also use them as on audio interface for Pro Tools(only realy a plus if you use Pro Tools)

I've heard a lot of good, but quite a few negative things about them as well. Particularly if you're playing a multi and try to switch through patches, the whole multi will glitch out, which is a serious issue for live use. For this reason, I'd suggest you look elsewhere since you're looking to play live.