I've recently finished producing my mate's band's first demo "Friends Will Betray". The guitars and bass were recorded at one of the band member's house and i collected the files when they were done. I then mixed it together with Superior Drummer, recorded vocals round the vocalist's house, did a final mix and mastered.

I was wondering if i could get some comments on the production, like what's good and where i can improve. I'll also do C4C as long as you link me .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3cq5Coey5U
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Apr 10, 2011,
Thats actually not too bad, reminds of a sort of less technical Born Of Osiris. Ok a couple of things: First off, the rhythm guitars are fine, good tone for the song, however the guitar playing the melody could use a slightly sharper, cutting tone just to bring forward and stand out a bit more.

Also, the main the niche of the band is sort of heavy groove metal so try and get some intersting fills and grooves going with superior drummer, the crash symbal also wears on you a bit so... fix it
Also, if these guys are good at lead, tell them it needs a low harmony riff somewhere, just to break up and perhaps a solo break? Personal opinion though so if they dont want to then thats fine.
Also a little section of the vocals when you're putting the effects on it during the verse, second or third verse I believe, is a little sketchy. Although this may be the vocalists fault.

Overall though very good production indeed. Better than a lot of stuff out there at the moment.
Quote by ProgFripp74
Also a little section of the vocals when you're putting the effects on it during the verse, second or third verse I believe, is a little sketchy. Although this may be the vocalists fault.

Is it on the word "hope"? Becuase i noticed that while i was mixing but we'd already done the vocal sessions so i thoguht to leave it in there. It is only ment to be a basic demo after all.

Quote by ProgFripp74
Overall though very good production indeed. Better than a lot of stuff out there at the moment.

And sweet, thats what we wanna hear .