Edit: Guitar AMP

Effects
I'm looking for something without built in effects, because I hear pedals are dominate to built in.
Sound:
I'm looking for something with versatility, like from sounding like a mix between megadeth and slayer but still able to do cleans pretty decently.
Basically a genre I'd be in is something like speed metal and thrash.
Budget
I'd stay about less than 750 bucks

I'm probably going to work towards forming another band ever since I got sort of kicked out of my last one, and I just used one of the guitarists amps (they had some pretty huge ones for some reason). So I'm looking for something to play live, I hear combo's work decently for it, but if I can get something bigger with the current budget, then that'd work too (mainly because giant amps bring stage presents at small gigs like this)
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Apr 10, 2011,
Someone might have a better rec, but all I can offer is a JCM DSL 2000. My other guitarist has one and it's great for Megadeth. I'd get one if only I played more thrash.
Quote by ChrisBW
Someone might have a better rec, but all I can offer is a JCM DSL 2000. My other guitarist has one and it's great for Megadeth. I'd get one if only I played more thrash.

Cool, I'll check it out. Also I'm not trying to sound exactly like these bands.
We play post-hardcore sort of progressive metal so we don't really sound like those bands, but I mostly use american amps so I think that probably helps to round out our overall sound. If you're playing a Megadeth song and you want to sound like them you definitely can do that though.
look at the bugera 1990 @$470 and a Blackheart 4x12 cab $299 both can be had at zzounds.com. You would have the tone pretty close to get those sounds. The 1990 is a Marshall JCM 900 clone and it sound amazing for the price. The Blackheart 4x12 is loaded with Eminence speakers and sounds way better than the price suggest
Nothing about the 900 is remotely close to amazing, apart from its impression of a beehive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Nothing about the 900 is remotely close to amazing, apart from its impression of a beehive.
I beg to differ ,my budy has a 1990 and a jcm900 and it is pretty close in tone, not exact, but close also a nice sounding cab helps. And its 1/3 of the price
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 10, 2011,
I didn't say the two weren't close in tone.

I said the tone sucks.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I said the tone sucks.

yes it does have that marshally buzz some love and some hate, I don't personaly like marshalls I'd take a Peavey over one any day
He wasn't saying Marshall tone sucks. The jcm900 tone sucks.

In that budget I'd say a 6505 combo, jet city jca50/100 heads and a cab or look for used amps on your local listing site. My room mate got a Mesa tremoverb head for 850 bucks. You never know what you'll find.
Sovtek mig 50 if you can find one. They are in your price range and with a set of nice tubes and a boost pedal in front of the amp, you can easily achieve megadeth/slayer tones. I know mine does. And rolling back a bit on the boost, AC/DC tones are there as well.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by Chad11491
He wasn't saying Marshall tone sucks. The jcm900 tone sucks.

This.

I old Marshalls.

Alright cool, I'll look these up, unfortunately all the demo vids are some guy playing some jazzy solo. The hunt is on.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I said the tone sucks.

This just made my day.

Anywho, to relate on what a couple of ya'll said, I have a JCA50H - absolutely amazing for the price. I got mine for $400 "used" from MF with a promo when it had just come out, but now they sell for $500 new... It's pretty much my go to amp now (over my single recto and carvin legacy). If only my JSX worked I think I'd have an awesome stereo set up.

Sovteks are awesome! I had a chance to play a 50 mini once and I loved it. I wanted to get it, partially because it was in a maple hardwood enclosure which looked awesome, but no way I was paying $650 like they wanted.

On a related note - there's a Sovtek 100 on my CL that I'm tempted to go check out, but I feel like $550 might be a little much? I saw one a year ago for $450 or something that I still kick myself for not getting... or maybe that was a Bedrock lol. So.. any thoughts on $550 for the sovtek?
Last edited by ChrisBW at Apr 10, 2011,
In that price range you're not going to find any particularly impressive amplifiers that can do BOTH the cleans and the diabolical distortion of Slayer/Megadeth. I would say that the Peavey 6505+ is a solid ass amp in that price range. It does cleans pretty well and like most Peaveys in that price range, the channel is modeled after a Fender clean sound. The distorted channel is really the centerpiece of the whole thing. I would rip out the speaker though. I noticed beautiful clarity after I pulled out the stock speakers. WGS sells some sweet 10"/12" speakers for cheap.

In a perfect world, you would come home from work and find a box on your stoop. Inside you would find a Mesa Mark IIC+, a 21 band equalizer and a Marshall cab. Still waiting for that day to come.
I hear that a Jet City JCA100hdm is good for thrash, although a used jcm 800 would be pretty good too. A used Peavey Triple XXX or JSX would do the trick too, just retube them with EL34s for that classic thrash tone.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...