As with most things in my life, when things get difficult. I give up...
I gave up on Jamie Andreas' - Principles of correct practice, and I am about to give up the guitar all together.

Where do I go from here? I feel stuck, I want to be a great player, but at the same time I don't know where to go from where.
The key to playing the guitar - as with any hobby - is to ENJOY IT!

Play the songs you like, not boring exercises; this site has billions of tabs. Don't concentrate on learning any dull theory (yet), but just turn it up and make some noise.

"Practicing the guitar" should not ever be something to dread.
call me ziggy.
stop giving upwhen things get difficult

you need perseverence like i need better spelling just keep going at it and eventually youll get good

also have fun with it
i second what the other guys have said

i was getting bored of the guitar, and then i discovered van halen and suddenly was inspired to keep going

i suggest you find yourself a "guitar hero" and dedicate most of your practice trying to incorporate their sound into your playing, either that or set yourself some other project.

i only play the guitar for fun, i dont care how crap i sound, its all about making a lot of noise and having a good time as far as i care
keep practicing..... a lot

nothing is free, if you want to be a great player work hard for it, it is normal at the begginning to feel frustated and thinking you're not advancing, feeling stuck.

but if you really want the goal, work hard practice every day, hours.

one day you will notice you're getting better, and all the work will worth it, trust me
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Last edited by andras67 at Apr 10, 2011,
I would say it is a mix of the two:

You need to have fun when playing guitar, but don't give in, just because you are facing trouble. Look at your playing like a chainmail. If you find a problem, then instead for going like:
"Oh, I suck at guitar, I might as well give up."
Then get happy:
"Yes, i found a problem! Now I know what to work on, what to improve on!"
Finally you have found the source to your bad playing, and you know what to fix to become better. Personally, I enjoy fixing my playing, so I can become a better guitarist!

And try to find yourself a realistic goal to achieve. Like: "I wanna learn (insert song here)"

I suggest a easy chord song, that you can learn to sing, and eventually play for your friends?

Remember everything is hard at first. Do you remember when you where about to learn how to bike / drive? Remember how hard you tried, and then finally succeeded, and became proud like hell ;D ? That's how your gonna feel when you finally nailed that song, that riff, that chord (progression)!!

Keep your head high, get a realistic goal, and don't give up. If in trouble, feel free to mail me!
ROCK ON! \m/

VHT Special 6 Ultra - Head and Cab

Ibanez RG350M (black)
ESP-LTD 256-EC
Ibanez GRG 170DX

Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer
Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory
Digitech CF7 Chorus Factory
I have played for 10+ years now, I can play every Iron Maiden song.
But I do not know how to practice, and I don't know what I need to work on to become a better player, Ginge93 if you have this ability that is awesome.
if you can play every Iron Maiden song, I'd say explore different music, learn different songs, learn new scales and new chords. also just have random jam/improv sessions, and write your own songs. just my 2 cents
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
try learning a new genre, for example learning blues or metal, (obv depending on what you already play) dont dedicate ALL of your time to scale running & theory as you will get bored and fed up. set yourself goals and targets.. for example attempting to learn song or solo x by a certain date, and if you cannot by then, study why you cannot play it, and go from there, you will develop alot faster as a player and its much more rewarding. best of luck
practice ALOT. believe it or not its possible for almost anyone to become great at guitar. because essentially what your learning is motor skills, and you can follow that up with theory once you feel good about your playing. id like to share some of my experiences with you.

a while back i was told by my doctor that i had a bad fine motor problem. the doctor mentioned that i wouldn't be able to do anything proficiently the form of art or music. and at the time i thought it was true. i usually gave up at most things, except guitar (id been playing for 7 years). i had this crazy vision id be able to play like mad one day. long story short that pretty much crushed me. im prone to depression, so life was pretty shit at the time.

then this one day, about 10 months ago i made the split decision to practice 8 hours a day and see what happens. but i only played this one solo for 2 weeks straight. it was that ending solo to gray pianos flying by shawn lane. this song is at about 110 bpm. i lowered it down to 10. id then increase the bpm by 1 if i got it right.

now normally id bail out of commitments like this. i cant remember what i was feeling at the time, but i stuck it out. pretty much by the end of the 2 weeks i could play that one solo. prior to that i could barley play the first minute of ten words (joe satriani).

after that things started getting easier. i could play other things, i was understanding more concepts thanks to those 2 weeks of technical practice. i eventually learned all of gray pianos flying.

yeah in short, practice.
also open yourself up to other genres of music, like jazz, blues and classical. try to analysis them and learn the theory behind it. why and how the song works and what the guitarist is playing.
Jamie Andreas teaches some heavy stuff. Keep in mind that although her lessons will make playing a lot easier and stronger if you practise the exercises over time, most of the guitar heroes out there have probably never heard of her or never even considered the things she has studied and instead got better just from playing their own way.

Also, knowing every Iron Maiden song or even just a few means you don't suck. When you first sat down with a guitar you probably couldn't even strum it.
I'm also wondering...

You said you wanna be a "great player", but what does that mean to you? What's a great player? Does that mean more creative, more skilled technically, or something else?
Quote by Hckey#
As with most things in my life, when things get difficult. I give up...
I gave up on Jamie Andreas' - Principles of correct practice, and I am about to give up the guitar all together.

Where do I go from here? I feel stuck, I want to be a great player, but at the same time I don't know where to go from where.

Start playing stuff you enjoy and dont worry about being great. Greatness comes from writing things people enjoy.

You dont need to know how to shread or play at 1 million bpm to be great. Look at angus young he doesnt do anything all that fancy but its always epic.
It was said but you need to define your expectations of yourself.

Decide on one thing you want to improve. Is it a song you want to learn? A technique you want to improve? I am sure you have a list of things that constitute a great player. Make a bucket list lol. Things you want to be able to do on guitar before you kick the bucket. Learn them one at a time practice them slow and learn them one at a time. Each time you get one you should be proud of yourself. If you do it right you will eventually nail them all, likely to find that you have populated a new list with new goals and continue on ad infinitum.
I'm not so bothered with the fact that I suck. I'm more bothered with the fact that this friend of mine is way better than me (He can play Gilbert stuff). And the fact that even if I were better than him, the wimmin would still be attracted to cocky bastards who love to smoke and drink..
Quote by reggaebassman
Start playing stuff you enjoy and dont worry about being great. Greatness comes from writing things people enjoy.

You dont need to know how to shread or play at 1 million bpm to be great. Look at angus young he doesnt do anything all that fancy but its always epic.

That's the beauty of AC/DC learn one AC/DC song and you're well on the way to knowing most of them

They're just plain fun to play
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Its all about correct practice. I like to play my guitar unpluged while i watch a movie or something. play everything very slow but still enjoy the music. focus on staying relaxed.

muscles are suppose to contract and relax so if you have alot of tension you should. double pick a note drop your arm. then repeat. fret a note then relax very slow over and over.

Watch john petrrucis rock displine if you havnt already. and just play slow. Whatever is easy stick with that. Jam to backing tracks if you have a hard time improvising you need to learn music by ear. like theme songs.

perfect your technique. its very important to stay relaxed. I use a thick pick and i dont like it to wiggle in my fingers any. you may not notice it slow but after you speed up it might give you problems.
I'm no guitar wiz but I think everyone has in them to be a great guitarist. Be relaxed, keep practicing and keep a positive attitude. What I've figured out is that all masters were born shitting in diapers. From here on you'll be getting on the next train being decent. To be decent you got a suck first , to be good you have to get to be decent first. So no worries we all suck at the beginning of the road bud. Best of luck to ya mate