I've read the sticky which explains about distortion and gain pedals going in first into the preamp, then modulations/delays/reverbs going into the FX loop, but I'm still a little bit confused.

What's the advantage of putting additional effects into the loop, rather than the main input/preamp? My set up (as well as being listed in my sig.) is Boss DS-1 distortion, Boss ST-2 power stack, Boss ME-20 multiFX, EHX Holy Grail Reverb. The main thing is the ME-20, as I use it for distortion which "should" go into the main input, but also for delay which "should" go into the FX loop. Does it really make any difference to put some effects into the loop rather than the main input?

Thanks
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Reverb should go in the loop because the reverbed effect will also distort.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Ah that makes sense, I probably wouldn't have thought of that actually... But I only use the clean channel on my amp, all the distortion effects I use are external (on my pedals) so that wouldn't make a different right?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

If you're just running the amp clean, you can use the reverb in front as long as it's AFTER the dirtboxes.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yeah I've got it all set in the order I listed in the original post, I get the principles of where to put pedals in sequence, but then the FX loop complicated it all too much for my little brain to handle!

As long as I keep it on the clean channel then it should be fine right? It's only when I use reverb etc in conjunction with the dist. channel that I'll get problems?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Think about it this way, your preamp is designed to distort and mold the incoming tone, to give you your basis on what your real tone is going to sound like, if you want your effects to maintain their clarity, then you run them after the preamp in the FX loop.

Say, you run some chorus though the preamp with some distortion, well, now your chorus has distortion applied to it, instead of your distorted tone having chorus applied to it. Now it's very muddy and doesn't really sound like a chorus should.

You always want your effects pedals to process a finished preamp signal, because it maintains clarity alot more. You do not want your preamp to process your effects signal because it destroys the clarity of the effects.
It's all personal preference. If you like the sound of your ME-20 in front of the amp, go ahead, do that. Remember your ears - and only your ears alone - can decide what sounds best to you!! You are the Expert!
ROCK ON! \m/

VHT Special 6 Ultra - Head and Cab

Ibanez RG350M (black)
ESP-LTD 256-EC
Ibanez GRG 170DX

Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer
Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory
Digitech CF7 Chorus Factory
Quote by ethan_hanus
Think about it this way, your preamp is designed to distort and mold the incoming tone, to give you your basis on what your real tone is going to sound like, if you want your effects to maintain their clarity, then you run them after the preamp in the FX loop.

Say, you run some chorus though the preamp with some distortion, well, now your chorus has distortion applied to it, instead of your distorted tone having chorus applied to it. Now it's very muddy and doesn't really sound like a chorus should.

You always want your effects pedals to process a finished preamp signal, because it maintains clarity alot more. You do not want your preamp to process your effects signal because it destroys the clarity of the effects.

Oh right, so even if the order of pedals is Distortion > Chorus, the preamp blends them together so it could sound more like Chorus > Distortion? That seems silly to me but if that's what it does then fair play!

I may experiment with the FX loop in that case, thanks

Quote by Ginge93
It's all personal preference. If you like the sound of your ME-20 in front of the amp, go ahead, do that. Remember your ears - and only your ears alone - can decide what sounds best to you!! You are the Expert!

Very true, I keep saying that to other people, I was just wondering if this actually made a big difference or not, as I've never really tried it out to much extent.. But yeah, thanks
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Quote by makutoid
Oh right, so even if the order of pedals is Distortion > Chorus, the preamp blends them together so it could sound more like Chorus > Distortion? That seems silly to me but if that's what it does then fair play!

I may experiment with the FX loop in that case, thanks

Very true, I keep saying that to other people, I was just wondering if this actually made a big difference or not, as I've never really tried it out to much extent.. But yeah, thanks

Eh, kinda, it's more like the preamp is going to blend everything together with the distortion if you go preamp in first. If you plug your effects in after the preamp, then whatever your preamp sound is will be further altered by your effects pedal, but it'll still be the same basic preamp signal that came out.

Think of your effects as mini preamps that do specific things, you want raw tone going into a preamp, and a altered tone coming out of the preamp, not the other way around.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Eh, kinda, it's more like the preamp is going to blend everything together with the distortion if you go preamp in first. If you plug your effects in after the preamp, then whatever your preamp sound is will be further altered by your effects pedal, but it'll still be the same basic preamp signal that came out.

Think of your effects as mini preamps that do specific things, you want raw tone going into a preamp, and a altered tone coming out of the preamp, not the other way around.

Cool, I get it now :P Thanks guys, I'll start experimenting with stuff, see what happens! I hate having too many wires and stuff cluttering the stage so I don't particularly like the idea of having some pedals going to the main input then even more wires taking signal to and from the FX loop, but if it sounds better then it's probably worth it
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Mess around and use your ears, not your eyes. You might find you like it better the "unacceptable" way. I usually like a delay in the loop, and I agree it should usually go into the loop if your preamp is distorting, but you can get some cool sounds the other way around.

I personally like a chorus before my distortion. It like how it effects the EQ, it's more subtle, and not as swishy sounding.