Poll Options
View poll results: Morally wrong?
Yes
10 16%
No
54 84%
Voters: 64.
Hi pit,

I'm working in America from June to August in the summer, and I want to go travelling afterwards. However, as i'm paying quite a lot to get over there and my paycheck while i'm over there won't cover my travelling costs for afterwards. So, I wanted to ask. Would it be morally wrong to do a fundraiser/sponsored event to help me raise funds to trek across America.

I won't put a pretend label on it, like 'save the orphans' or something like that. That's a whole different moral ballgame.

Like, advertise it as a fundraiser for me to be able to trek across america. Is this morally wrong and should such fundraisers/sponsored events be saved for charitable causes?

Before you say, 'get a job'. I'm at university, and have only just got back home. I'm already £500 into my overdraft (my limit) on living costs. I do have a job while i'm back here, but i'll be lucky to get a shift a week, due to the recession and the place just not being busy enough. I've asked at all my old jobs and I don't want to con a new place by getting hired, then quitting after 2 and a bit months.

Thanks.
I don't see why it would be wrong, since in any case it depends on the generosity of the people sponsoring you.

On the other hand, I don't see why anyone apart from maybe your parents or best friends would donate to you.
Why don't you just do a sponsored trek across America and then keep some of the money. You'll get more that way anyway, and it won't be as morally grey.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
No, not really. As long as you're honest about what it's for, and people understand it and are still happy to give you money, it's fine.
Quote by Todd Hart
Why don't you just do a sponsored trek across America and then keep some of the money. You'll get more that way anyway, and it won't be as morally grey.

This is a genius idea. Do it.
hello
if you're not lying about what you'll do with the proceeds I don't see the issue. people are generally free to use their money any way they choose. the problem would be finding people to give you money in the first place.

I suggest lying.
It would not be wrong. Todd Hart also has an excellent idea if you feel like putting in the effort to organize it.
On an unrelated note, I had a pencil in one hand and an apple in the other. Guess which I tried to take a bite out of.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Sell some stuff?

Or just get a job in a bar - they're usually used to students coming and going.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

This is awfully close to extortion. I'd say you're scum.

sorry...

Seriously though, as long as you are honest about it, I don't see anything wrong with it
Quote by chaos13
It would not be wrong. Todd Hart also has an excellent idea if you feel like putting in the effort to organize it.
On an unrelated note, I had a pencil in one hand and an apple in the other. Guess which I tried to take a bite out of.

The cardigan that was drying on the back of your chair?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
No as long as you tell people what you're using the money for.

But I don't see why anyone would give you free money so that can go on vacation. Other wise we'd all be doing fund raisers. ( I'm thinking you're going to be selling candy bars or something?)
Must find scum first.

+1 Todd Hart
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
As soon as you leave the country I'll be using the money I fundraised to travel to your home and hook up with multiple relatives of yours. So, is it against your morals to allow a barely legal guy have awesome sex with your family while you're gone? If so, I would recommend not taking your trip.

But seriously, if people want to pay money to help you do whatever, it's their choice. That's the beauty of this world: It's okay to do selfish things sometimes.

Edit- I would recommend disguising your fundraiser as something people wouldn't mind paying for anyway, like putting on a couple cool performances or throwing a huge party and selling some drinks there. I wouldn't recommend a lemonade stand unless the word lemonade means hard alcohol which I don't think you can sell on the street anyway so you should probably disregard this sentence.
Last edited by SecondCivilWar at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by sashki
I don't see why anyone apart from maybe your parents or best friends would donate to you.

yeah this is America no one here is going to give you money unless you're on that fancy picture box spreading the word of christ.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Volunteer for charities along your trip: animal shelters, soup kitchens etc, and give them money.

Stipulate your expenses on top of that.
why would people pay you to trek across america?
"hey wanna sponsor me to travel across the US?"
"is it for a charity?"
"no its just sponsoring me so i can do it."
...that shit aint gonna fly dude.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
No. If you present it honestly and people want to give you the cash, that's their choice. Why would it be morally reprehensible if they chose to donate willingly?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Todd Hart
The cardigan that was drying on the back of your chair?

No, my keyboard. Tricked you, didn't I.

Seriously Tangle, only scum would try to use a fundraiser for personal gain. But I bet that when the nation kills you for being so scummy the moderator will be all like trollface.jpg he was actually using that money to help kids with cancer, but in reality there will be seven million secret roles that change how people appear when they are killed and voodoo stuff will keep happening and everyone will be confused as shit.

this game is taking over my brain
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Who's gonna sponsor an ex-hipster?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by chaos13
No, my keyboard. Tricked you, didn't I.

Seriously Tangle, only scum would try to use a fundraiser for personal gain. But I bet that when the nation kills you for being so scummy the moderator will be all like trollface.jpg he was actually using that money to help kids with cancer, but in reality there will be seven million secret roles that change how people appear when they are killed and voodoo stuff will keep happening and everyone will be confused as shit.

this game is taking over my brain

I wasn't a hipster. You found that out when I died
Quote by due 07
There's probably some secret role that could get anyone to travel for free.

Wait until you see the roles in my zombie game. It's going to be banter filled goodness.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Wait until you see the roles in my zombie game. It's going to be banter filled goodness.

That game looks like so much fun. Just don't ruin it with secret roles. Some are fine, but holy hell at this hipster game. If I am correct in my suspicions for how many secrets are in it, anyways. WAY too many for mostly beginners.
As long as you aren't deceiving people to what cause they are donating to, I don't see anything morally wrong with it.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by due 07
That game looks like so much fun. Just don't ruin it with secret roles. Some are fine, but holy hell at this hipster game. If I am correct in my suspicions for how many secrets are in it, anyways. WAY too many for mostly beginners.

Nah, all the roles will be upfront.

it's a different direction to take the game in
Go for it, but if you asked me on the street to donate my money to you so you can go on vacation i would laugh in your face. I want to trek across america too, what makes you deserve to go more than me?
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Nah, all the roles will be upfront.

it's a different direction to take the game in

Last edited by due 07 at Apr 10, 2011,