Hello all again. I'm in need of replacing some tubes in my preamp and was wanting to experiment to see what kinda sound I can pull out of this amp. Anyone who owns a 3120 (or a Triple XXX for that matter) is welcome to reply with their experiences.

I like my amps sound now. It has JJ ECC83S in V1-V3, and a EH12AX7 in V4. The power amp as JJ EL34's. The clean channel is ok and the Crunch and Ultra channels are good. I'd like to try and make the clean sound better while making the crunch and ultra channels more usuable as far as gain. I also want to try to warm and open up the sound of this amp up, while maybe trying a lower gain tube to get rid of some craziness and making it more versatile.

I'm thinking of trying this setup:
V1 - Tungsol 12AX7
V2 - ECC83S
V3 - ECC83S
V4 - US Jan Philips 5751.

I've read other posts (Sordid1) over at the Peavey forum talk about a 12AT7 in the PI slot (I'm guessing he means Phase Inverter or V4) towarm up the amp and open the sound up.

I've also seen 12AT7's in the V1 slot. I'm also curious as to what effect I might get by trying the opposite of what I listed above, which would be putting the Tungsol in V4 and the 5751 in V1.

I'm on a limited budget so I'd like some ideas before I make a purchase. Thanks for your time with this.
Ibanez S520EX w/DM Pro and FRED
Peavey 3120
Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 Cab
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Way Huge Electronics Pork Loin
Ibanez TS9-DX Turbo Tube Screamer
ISP Technologies Decimator
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
i would love to but money is kinda tight at the moment. thus my inquiry...any suggestions? tube type and brand? thanks for any input!
Ibanez S520EX w/DM Pro and FRED
Peavey 3120
Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 Cab
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Way Huge Electronics Pork Loin
Ibanez TS9-DX Turbo Tube Screamer
ISP Technologies Decimator
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
There's a guy here who put all 5751s in his 3120, I think his name is coolstoryangus... said it made the gain more usable and the clean a little better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
all the 12at7 is going to do is give you a little bit less gain. if you can spare the money, buy a balanced 12at7 (so you could use it in the PI if it sounded good there) as an extra tube (it would probably be only an extra $20 or so) and see how you like it compared to a 12ax7/ECC83 in different places. i know i put a 12at7 in the input gain of my ampeg lee jackson, to keep the clean a little cleaner, and it also really helped in forming the gain on the OD channel as well, made it a little more crisp.

however, i haven't played a XXX in a long time, so i don't know how it would fare in there.

however again, i am a firm believer in throwing different tubes in diffrent positions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/