I've had the same bass for a long time now, and I want to start saving up for a new bass. But I want to get a great one, so I need help deciding on what I should invest in.

1.) Fender American P-Bass. I really love the playability of P-basses. And they're very versatile instruments. I don't know if I want one for sure though. As good as they are, I think I might like the tone of the others a bit more. And it's probably the least expensive.

2.) Musicman Stingray HH. I would love to get my hands on one of these babies. I love the necks on these, and the body is very comfortable. I love the growl you can get from Stingrays and in many ways, I feel like I may be leaning toward this option. But they're pretty pricey...

3.) Rickenbacker 4003. Okay. THESE are pricey. Definitely the most expensive. I've never played one in person. But every time I've heard one being played (either videos or on albums) I adore the tone. This thing would be my next and last bass. I would never need another. But I mean, come on. Two thousand American dollars for this thing...sheesh.

Help me pick. I need some other people's opinions.
what type of music will you be playing? if youre playing blues, punk, rock stuff i'd say the p-bass. Metal, hard rock, etc i'd go with the sting ray. i've heard a rickenbacker at a local cafe (one of the regulars there has one) and i HATED the tone haha. dunno if it was his amp or whatever but there was like no bass whatsoever lol. Maybe thats your thing though?
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
I play alot of different styles, so it's hard to say what it'll be used for. I like punchy, yet round sounding tone. Paul McCartney's tone is a good example. And Dan Briggs from Between the Buried and Me. I want it to cut through well. I play mostly finger style, with the occasional bit of picking. Very seldom do I slap.
Last edited by DonWeaso at Apr 10, 2011,
I think you should wait until you know what you want. I mean we could all chime in and say I like apples or I prefer oranges but you're the one that has to eat it. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of them.
Quote by smb
I think you should wait until you know what you want. I mean we could all chime in and say I like apples or I prefer oranges but you're the one that has to eat it. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of them.

I know, I just wanted to get some opinions on them, that's all. Whether they'll influence me or not is unknown, but I'd just like some ideas, y'know?
Okay, well you don't want a Ric. Because they have such a unique sound, the fact that you're also looking at other things rather than just staring longingly at pictures of Rics all day and listening to people that play them shows that you probably wouldn't be happy with a Ric for long - at some point you'd want to sound like someone else and you wouldn't be able to. You'd just sound like anyone with a Ric. If you see what I mean.

And yeah, sure, a P bass sounds alright for just about anything and when you put flatwounds on it you'll love it even harder, it's still not that versatile an instrument and it won't ever surprise you, it'll just always be there, comfortable and a bit boring.

So out of those three I guess I'd go for the MM. But I'd get HS instead of HH.

I still think this thread is stupid.
Quote by smb
I still think this thread is stupid.

I've seen worse, but anyway. Thanks.
How long will it take you to save up for these?

Out of those three I would say the Musicman for versatility alone but there are many many more basses you could get for the same prices.

You're in the US so Warmoth is an option, USE IT.
My friend and his dad always speak wonders about Laklands. Never played one before but they've told me that you can get the sound of a fender bass or a stingray if you mess with the knobs enough. UBER expensive tho :/
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
If you're looking into Fender and Musicman, give G&L a look. The Tribute imports are quite good and under your budget, and the US made ones aren't too much more then a Stingray HH would run you.

Don't even consider the Rickenbacker. They're a love-it or hate-it bass, and if you don't have any experience with one and are looking for versatility, its one of the last basses you should be thinking about getting.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass